Coral Vue Hydros

Geek'S 25g IM Lagoon - total darkness

Proudgeek

The corals have never looked better. Zoas are blooming and the dirty panties acan is showing 4 new babies. Two of my Florida ricordea, however, seem both Caribbean blue and one of them used to be green. I will adjust the blue intensity to see if I notice any difference.

I am concerned with my SPS frags on the frag rack as they are on the far side. The rack was ok in the BC14 as the led retrofit kit covered from side to side very well. I may have to begin mounting them sooner than I envisioned.

Evaporation has practically cut in half. I attribute that to the reduced surface flow since I added the rock. I am more comfortable with the current evaporation rate :)

Finally, 2 part dosing will need to be doubled. I feel like I have a good handle on things so far...

The monti frags are temporarily on LR as they were starting to lose color on the rack. Also, all corals have a much richer, deeper color tone than before. The other acan that I had was a blueish rainbow but it has turned a bit red and receded so I moved it further back to see how it responded during the next few days. Finally, all parameters look good and I am starting to see some diatom action picking up.

My fiancée was dead tired after a crazy week and that gave me an opportunity to go to the LFS by the office after work.... Lo and behold, they just got 3 Royal grammas. I am currently acclimating the nicest looking one :). I also picked up a turquoise blue with green zoa frag that looks like the "vice" zoas from the fl keys. Will give a nice contrast to the remaining zoas in the tank.

• Like 1

Starting to come around Geek!

Get some close ups on the corals ;)

Thanks. Will try to get some dslr shots tomorrow.

The royal gramma (RG) went into immediate hiding once he went in the tank last night. As i was making breakfast this morning, he came out to the cave entry and the fem clown began marking his space. They had their "butt sniffing" ritual and seems like they figured out how to coexist. Next negotiation, the RG and the green banded goby as both now spend time in the cave.

• Like 1

My mom flew in today for the Thanksgiving holiday. She had not seen the new tank so I was boring her on the way home about it and the new fish. When we got home, both RG and GBG had disappeared. After searching all the obvious places, I found the GBG in the second chamber on the right side. He either jumped through the screen (not likely) or went through the return, landed on top of the floss, and then jumping into the chamber.

The RG, however, was still missing. I pulled out the LR and found him outside of the tank next to the rock i was pulling out. Looks like he was trapped in an opening.... That is my going theory. I do suspect fem clown foul play as she is some piece of work.... He struggled to breathe for the first 15 mins but looks like he is holding his own. Let's hope he makes it :(

My mom flew in today for the Thanksgiving holiday. She had not seen the new tank so I was boring her on the way home about it and the new fish. When we got home, both RG and GBG had disappeared. After searching all the obvious places, I found the GBG in the second chamber on the right side. He either jumped through the screen (not likely) or went through the return, landed on top of the floss, and then jumping into the chamber.

The RG, however, was still missing. I pulled out the LR and found him outside of the tank next to the rocki was pulling out. Looks like he was trapped in an opening.... That is my going theory. I do suspect fem clown foul play as she is some piece of work.... He struggled to breathe for the first 15 mins but looks like he is holding his own. Let's hope he makes it :(

Oh no! I hope he pulls through

Was he in the rock when you pulled it? Or he jump prior? If he was just in the rock he'll be fine methinks. If the slime coat started to dry up; the lil guy is in trouble. I'm pullin for the lil dude.

Oh no! I hope he pulls through

Thanks. Me too...

Was he in the rock when you pulled it? Or he jump prior? If he was just in the rock he'll be fine methinks. If the slime coat started to dry up; the lil guy is in trouble. I'm pullin for the lil dude.

He was in the rock and was out of the tank for like 2 mins while I tried to figure out what was going on. He is hiding next to the glass magnet trying to figure things out. He was slimy when I picked him up. I do suspect that he was being bullied. Let's hope for the best.

• Like 1

Dammit! Any injuries you can spot? Just wondering if it was the clown's fault.

The pectoral fins seem to be ok. The right was not so well wheni first put him back. He did lose a bit of color on one side but its hard to tell if it was a scrape from the rocks or an attack wound. Frankly, i can't tell the difference.

He is on its side, almost sleeping in the corner... i move the magnet every 30 mins or so to see if he's still alive. Plus, i'm drinking wine now ?

The pectoral fins seem to be ok. The right was not so well wheni first put him back. He did lose a bit of color on one side but its hard to tell if it was a scrape from the rocks or an attack wound. Frankly, i can't tell the difference.

He is on its side, almost sleeping in the corner... i move the magnet every 30 mins or so to see if he's still alive. Plus, i'm drinking wine now

Leave him be! No drinking and reefing! Turn off the lights and let him recuperate... Seriously tho, best thing you can do ATM..

• Like 1

Leave him be! No drinking and reefing! Turn off the lights and let him recuperate... Seriously tho, best thing you can do ATM..

Thanks. Moonlight channel at 1% so that i can check up on him. And i blame my mom for the wine...
  • Like 1

I just found about a third of it :(

Honestly, i am thinking about finding the fem clown a new home. She bullies everyone. Will talk to the LFS where i got the RG to see if they will trade. I used to have mixed feelings about this but not anymore.

Stop yanking everything out of the display whenever anything seems slightly off. It's more harmful than helpful. The GBG will come out when he feels safe. Remember the tank and it's inhabitants are still relatively new. Everyone is still trying to find their niche and they can't do that when everything changes around them every other day. Just sayin... Patience

First, thanks a lot for helping out.

The GBG and the clowns have been around for a while. I've pulled 2 days in a row because i know them... Luckily, the scape is simple and i have gone one by one to leave things the same.

I'll probably be getting rid of the clowns and getting another GBG and RG once i can find them.

• Like 1

:huh: Embarrassed... Found the GBG. He was hiding on the bottom shelf of one of the media baskets. Went to change media floss and carbon yesterday and he showed up :slap:. Now that the RG is gone, the clown is at ease and the GBG seems fine. I put some floss to prevent him from slipping again but that will not be sustainable doe to flow. I need to figure out how to use the screen netting for a better fix.

One of my preferred LFS will have a RG for me next week.

Happy Thanksgiving!