SaltCritters.com

Hypes Final Nano Bommie

Rehype

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree im a fan of the more natural look, thhe sunnier coloured lights with just a hint of blue about 12k

Well then these are for you bud :happy:

21221368132_90991829f9_z.jpg

21043882608_5bfd885c63_z.jpg

20610662153_c6343df340_z.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more I much prefer the warmer look. I love how your coral still exhibit excellent coloration even under white light.

Glad that you like the look. It's been a fun and informative journey getting this simplistic DIY LED array set up satisfactorily (for me and the corals).

One of the main challenges has been to not wash out the fluorescence with too much warm spectrum...or too much of a specific spectra.

jedimasterben

Glad that you like the look. It's been a fun and informative journey getting this simplistic DIY LED array set up satisfactorily (for me and the corals).

One of the main challenges has been to not wash out the fluorescence with too much warm spectrum...or too much of a specific spectra.

I still need to get you a controller so you can see what you're missing. Working on it ;)

jedimasterben

Yea! More fiddling :lol:

:lol:

It's pretty awesome to see the different reactions from corals and fish as the lights ramp up instead of just popping on. :)

Whats your current LED combo?

:lol:

It's pretty awesome to see the different reactions from corals and fish as the lights ramp up instead of just popping on. :)

Sounds too cushy ;)

Whats your current LED combo?

It's a bit of a LED gumbo, but it does the trick:

• DIY LED (Fr): (1) LGB OCW, (2) Exotic HV, (2) Cree XML-2 RB, (2) Cree XML-2 NW, (1) Cree XT-E B
  • DIY LED (Rr): (1) LGB OCW, (2) Exotic HV, (2) Cree XML-2 RB, (2) Cree XML-2 NW, (1) Cree XT-E B
  • (dimmable 'Blue' and 'White' channels)
  • Ecoxotic Stunner Strips (3 strips): (1) 8000K CW/453nm RB, (2) RB (445nm )

Sounds too cushy ;)

It's a bit of a LED gumbo, but it does the trick:

• DIY LED (Fr): (1) LGB OCW, (2) Exotic HV, (2) Cree XML-2 RB, (2) Cree XML-2 NW, (1) Cree XT-E B
  • DIY LED (Rr): (1) LGB OCW, (2) Exotic HV, (2) Cree XML-2 RB, (2) Cree XML-2 NW, (1) Cree XT-E B
  • (dimmable 'Blue' and 'White' channels)
  • Ecoxotic Stunner Strips (3 strips): (1) 8000K CW/453nm RB, (2) RB (445nm )
Wow that's intense

Wow that's intense

Sounds like it, but I only run 50% blue and 35% white channels. Large heatsink, so I can get away without fans.

The adjustable kelvin MH sounds very interesting and I hadn't heard of these before. I'm sure the corals will do quite well.

The adjustable kelvin MH sounds very interesting and I hadn't heard of these before. I'm sure the corals will do quite well.

Yea it seems the reefbrite ballast is the only true dimmable model out there. You can dim down to 50% and there's a 0-10v to allow control via apex. Additionally a manual dimmer is included. As you dim the spectrum shifts towards the blue end ..its very natural looking. So far the acans are recovering nicely actually faster than I expected. Can't wait to add some sps

Yea it seems the reefbrite ballast is the only true dimmable model out there. You can dim down to 50% and there's a 0-10v to allow control via apex. Additionally a manual dimmer is included. As you dim the spectrum shifts towards the blue end ..its very natural looking. So far the acans are recovering nicely actually faster than I expected. Can't wait to add some sps

Nice, so the light is attempting to mimic the shift to bluer spectrum/less intensity which is what one would find in nature the deeper one goes.

Going to stay with easier SPS or go for the challenging ones?

jedimasterben

Just so you know, giving incorrect power to a metal halide lamp can cause it to explode. Figured you'd know, but I'd give you a heads up :)

Nice, so the light is attempting to mimic the shift to bluer spectrum/less intensity which is what one would find in nature the deeper one goes.

Going to stay with easier SPS or go for the challenging ones?

You know I dont think it was by design but possibly just a reaction within the bulb. But to your point thats exactly what it reminds me of..

Honestly its going to be whatever I can get my hands on for a good price :lol:

Just so you know, giving incorrect power to a metal halide lamp can cause it to explode. Figured you'd know, but I'd give you a heads up :)

Thanks ben that was definitely one of my questions in addition to about 20 others (unfortunately there was no documentation with the ballast) so I reached out to the designer of the ballast/bulb and talked to him for nearly an hour....He answered all of my questions and addressed any concerns. It also helps that these ballast have been around for a few years and I havent been able to find any negative feedback.(after searching exhaustively)

jedimasterben

Thanks ben that was definitely one of my questions in addition to about 20 others (unfortunately there was no documentation with the ballast) so I reached out to the designer of the ballast/bulb and talked to him for nearly an hour....He answered all of my questions and addressed any concerns. It also helps that these ballast have been around for a few years and I havent been able to find any negative feedback.(after searching exhaustively)

Very cool. It's nice that they were helpful and actually knew what they were doing. The people at ATI had basically no answers to my questions and the ones that they had didn't match up with Sylvania (the actual manufacturer) :lol:

Very cool. It's nice that they were helpful and actually knew what they were doing. The people at ATI had basically no answers to my questions and the ones that they had didn't match up with Sylvania (the actual manufacturer) :lol:

I was surprised myself. I sent an email stating that I had some technical questions and then I got an email directly from the designer with his direct number to discuss....color me impressed :o

looks great. good to see you're back

Thanks alot brad..glad to be back.

already beats the bageesus out of my tank....

haha. looking forward to this!

No way roger you tank looks great.

Thanks man

I really like the colour mix.... great idea to add the leds. Does it get really hot? Halides aren't that popular here in the tropics...

Thanks alot bunster. Well the room the tank is in is temp controlled but the halides only raise the temps between 2-3 degrees. This fixture doesnt put out as much heat as others ive owned in the past due to the efficient digital controlled e-ballast.

jedimasterben

It also has to do with the lamp itself, as well. All mercury-based lighting emits at least some UV and IR, and the IR is pure heat. Cheaper/knockoff lamps usually emit much more IR, as do 'whiter' lamps, which extend a lot more into the red part of the spectrum.

The heat added is really minimal when air conditioning is used where the tank is, like hype said, it's another 'myth' that all halides just dump out heat. While it is true that they are only like 18-25% efficient (meaning that over 75% of the power draw is wasted as heat), not all of it is directed into the tank, and as long as you don't have a full hood covering the whole top with minimal or no ventilation, it won't be significant.

Hey DC!!!Long time bud hows everything?

All is good dood! School and baby have me pretty busy. Excited for you on this new one. Halides have the best look. Classic.... Can't wait to follow along as usual!

All is good dood! School and baby have me pretty busy. Excited for you on this new one. Halides have the best look. Classic.... Can't wait to follow along as usual!

Thanks alot man appreciate you following along

Archived