Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brad's Natural Reef | Powered by NanoBox | Pics pg 24

brad908

9 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Nice video, diggin the school of PJC's.  How are the mangroves doing?

Thanks! Mangroves are doing well, I took off all the shaping wire and re did it. Looks much cleaner now.

I still regret how I planted the mangroves, as I always wanted them to eventually show their root system which I can't see happening anytime soon. I can't imagine how the mangroves haven't strangled each other. They've been in the 8" cube for over 2 years now. 

The ADA 60f mangrove tank I have going is showing all the roots and I can't wait to see how that one progresses. 

Little Sunday morning yard work 

35304487313_d3decda479_b.jpg

______

Pictures from the other day, these were edited on the computer versus typical iPhone VSCO 

duncan6line

6line-26line-3

penny

______

yosemite sunrise yesterday

half dome-2

half dome

Yosemite sunset on Friday. Forest fires nearby gave the sky some nice colors

taft point forest fire skies

• Like 15
17 hours ago, brad908 said:

Little Sunday morning yard work 

35304487313_d3decda479_b.jpg

______

Pictures from the other day, these were edited on the computer versus typical iPhone VSCO 

duncan6line

6line-26line-3

penny

______

yosemite sunrise yesterday

half dome-2

half dome

Yosemite sunset on Friday. Forest fires nearby gave the sky some nice colors

taft point forest fire skies

FTS of that freshwater planted tank anywhere? All stunning photos by the way.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JoeR said:

FTS of that freshwater planted tank anywhere? All stunning photos by the way.

Right now it is just an 18" cube with micro sword covering the bottom. I had a lot of die off of the christmas moss on the tree and took it out a few months ago. I've let the micro sword grow back in where the tree is and now thinking how I want to scape it next. 

Old photos:

F50F2CA5-535E-4F57-A737-5EE3F6FD2A05_zps

A22949A0-85F9-4B5F-81EA-6FA53563B62F_zps

5B201567-5D46-488D-B8EC-7D675775D6A7_zps

9823C016-56FA-4412-99ED-B13C73C0DB4E_zps

54D1721C-2C53-4FF1-852C-DE38D7088EA0_zps

• Like 11
Christopher Marks

Great photos @brad908! I really like the planted fw tank with neon tetras, they've always been my favorite FW fish. LOL @ the grass clippings floating up top after 'mowing the lawn' :lol:  The reef is looking sharp too, as always!

How far are you from Yosemite? As troubling as forest fires are, the hazy smoke makes for some crazy light at sunset and sunrise, unusual colors. I discovered that last year when I was out in Nor Cal for a photoshoot.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great photos @brad908! I really like the planted fw tank with neon tetras, they've always been my favorite FW fish. LOL @ the grass clippings floating up top after 'mowing the lawn' :lol:  The reef is looking sharp too, as always!

How far are you from Yosemite? As troubling as forest fires are, the hazy smoke makes for some crazy light at sunset and sunrise, unusual colors. I discovered that last year when I was out in Nor Cal for a photoshoot.

Thanks!

I am about 4 hours. The longest part is crossing the bridge and getting through the East Bay, they have ridiculous traffic on that side lol. Once I get on 120 it's generally a breeze. 

Not that I wish for forest fire damage but I was hoping it would have been a little more smokey for better light. It was still super bright out. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JoeR said:

While the fish are probably bored, I actually kind of like the basic grassy hill lol. Do you have pressurized CO2 or dose excel or anything?

Dose excel. 

Looked for rocks last weekend at the LFS but couldn't find anything I like. Not really finding much online either. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, brad908 said:

Dose excel. 

Looked for rocks last weekend at the LFS but couldn't find anything I like. Not really finding much online either. 

It's so amazing?! Do you have a schedule/amount you dose according to?

And since I can't stalk a build thread: Was the carpeting done emersed, or did you plant in portions and let it fill in on its own with the tank full? Is this a lilaeopsis brasiliensis or novaezelandiae? Or something else? :)  

I feel like I made a grave mistake mixing an active stone and aquasoil, since the stone itself is likely negating a lot of the buffering from the soil (or at least using up its buffering ability more quickly than necessary). I bought the Seiryu look-alike when I went looking, and I obviously didn't account for scale because the rocks wound up small :P 

Your tank looks great. How many fish do you currently have? Also do you have a plan for attacking the aiptasia? With the small tank size, I would recommend some nubis from saltyunderground. 

18 hours ago, Mariaface said:

It's so amazing?! Do you have a schedule/amount you dose according to?

And since I can't stalk a build thread: Was the carpeting done emersed, or did you plant in portions and let it fill in on its own with the tank full? Is this a lilaeopsis brasiliensis or novaezelandiae? Or something else? :)  

I feel like I made a grave mistake mixing an active stone and aquasoil, since the stone itself is likely negating a lot of the buffering from the soil (or at least using up its buffering ability more quickly than necessary). I bought the Seiryu look-alike when I went looking, and I obviously didn't account for scale because the rocks wound up small :P 

I do 2 caps when I do a water change, then try and do a cap every day. I typically forget to dose daily.

It is micro sword and I did dry start for a couple months before flooding it. 

18 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Your tank looks great. How many fish do you currently have? Also do you have a plan for attacking the aiptasia? With the small tank size, I would recommend some nubis from saltyunderground. 

Thanks, there are 2 clowns, 1 six-line, 1 dragonet, 1 chromis, and 8 or 9 pajama cardinals. I have peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia. Seem to be clearing it up. I don't mind the aiptasia, it was just getting to be a little too much but happy with the level it is at now. 

20 hours ago, brad908 said:

Dose excel. 

Those are carpeting awesome for only excel!

Mine from buce plant are excellent, the color is amazing in person- but they're EXPENSIVE for rocks lol so depends if you feel dumb buying rocks or not. It's that or search for them and find probably less cool rocks

• Like 1

Not sure I ever posted this, but looking back at some old film shots and came across the mangroves. I believe this was December 2015

Delta 3200 35mm film

delta 3200

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
Did a solo trip with the labradoodle this past weekend. 120 > 395 > 108. Ended up turning around on 108 due to crazy weather and camped 2 nights around the Mono Basin. Goal of the trip was to get her in as much water as possible lol.

Still waiting for @DaveFason to come out and teach us to fly fish

36553743282_c9c2baed4c_z.jpg
36531261242_76c18b6f4d_z.jpg
36700493305_b204258292_z.jpg
36654565166_1081ae4877_z.jpg
36700475045_9dcc981486_z.jpg
36305347390_75d0d52888_z.jpg
36654557256_b76839974e_z.jpg
36562300291_f07b1ca497_z.jpg
36563285551_3e7bfa22cc_z.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

Lucky pup! Looks like a great trip. I've been all around there but still haven't made it to Mono

Wait, did you say @DaveFason is coming out to teach us to fly fish next weekend? Sound like a good plan

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Finally found a piece of drift wood you liked the look of Brad? I think it turned out pretty well.

This is actually the same piece I built the previous tree from. I just removed the foam pads I used to glue the moss to. The rocks were also from a previous build and I need to buy a few more to finish it off (you can't see in the photos, there is some exposed egg crate in the back of the wood piece). 

• Like 1