inTank Media Baskets

Brad's Natural Reef | Powered by NanoBox | Pics pg 24

brad908

20 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Love this!! The sun lit shots are amazing! Do you trim down the branches to keep it smallish? 

I am wanting to re-create this in my sump! 

Thanks! I used to cut new growth on these to force outward branching versus vertical growth, but I haven’t done that for a while now on this tank. 

A lot of it is treating the mangroves like a bonsai treee and using wire to shape the branches. 

20 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Brad this is incredible! The mangrove canopy has filled out so much. Are you seeing any roots spreading beyond the live rock?

This is something I’m concerned with and probably should do something about soon. These mangroves were all planted in an 8” cube so their roots are contained to that tiny pot. I don’t know how they haven’t strangled each other out yet as it has been 3+ years in the 8” cube. 

Eventually I need to crack the cube open and replant these. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is so beautiful. It's a very different style of aquascape than many of the tanks in here...it just looks simple and natural. Not to criticize anyone else, I'm from the box-of-crayons school of aquascaping myself, but this looks like something you could see snorkling. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On November 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM, brad908 said:

got nanobox?

nanobox%202_zps5jtkelsn.jpg

nanobox_zpskxqvjof2.jpg

Hi Brad

this tank is phenomenal!! Just read the whole thread and signed up to post.

great work. Have a quick question about the light you have over the mangroves in these pics. You were getting amazing growth with this light- can you share details of the final color spectrum, LED composition, that sort of thing? I love the form factor and it seems to work extremely well. In later pics, it has a wood trim around it- is it the same light with a modified end cap?

Also- how did your clam do? 

thanks so much for a really pleasurable and detail packed read- I appreciate the time you took to make all these posts?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Come out come out wherever you are.

I think he had to relocate, broken down all tanks, and sold a bunch of stuff on classified a while back.  

maybe new setup? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • 3 months later...

Tank is going to get restarted in a few weeks. House inspection scheduled for Tuesday, closing scheduled for June 8, then getting all the floors replaced and moving in.

Going to be sending the hybrid light back to Dave for some updating on Wednesday. 

Should have a solid update (probably new thread) in about a month. 

If anyone in the salt lake area has the 🔌 on flooring, countertops and exterior painting, lmk 😅

• Like 4
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/19/2017 at 8:29 AM, brad908 said:

What I really want is a super bright circular fixture that has narrow lens to make it more of a spotlight.

I assume that you're looking for a commercially-available fixture. But if you're willing to do some electronics work of your own, check out SLD Laser - I've been experimenting with some of their laser-driven white light chips, and I've found that their emission distribution is naturally much more narrow than that of an LED. If they're heatsinked properly, you can get a substantial amount of light out of them, too. If you are (or anyone else is) interested, I'll try to grab some photos.

Scott

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...