Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stella's 12 Long - Bob, Bobii and Dotii's Weedy Adventure

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this is just for you, Teeny :) This tank needs a serious cleaning - the sponge fell over about a month ago and Dot and Bob live on and around it so I haven't had the heart to move it. But that also means I can't get to the glass in that area to clean it so here are Dot and Bob at feeding time last night - dirty glass and all!

I2XBSDh.jpg

Dot:

e9dPKvv.jpg

Bob:

uvobNn5.jpg

I love them, thanks!

[FTS needed]

Just curious, what are you using in the AIO compartment and what kinda nutrient levels do you run?

HA! NOBODY wants to see a FTS at the moment :) I can barely see in the tank I need to clean the glass so badly. Oh and the macros are all massive at the moment so it kinda looks like seaweed soup :)

Ocean box designs built me an AIO compartment that I placed on one end of the tank. Right now, I'm just using floss - no media. However, I do occasionally run carbon if I feel it needs it.

Nutrients are actually pretty low given how much I feed with all the macro algae I have in the tank. Nitrates run at about 5-10, and I have to watch to make sure they don't get lower as then some of the constant uptake macros like caulerpa, etc. start to fade (turn translucent and disintegrate). I do monthly water changes, but I do dose iron once a week as well as calcium and alk 1x a week. The calcareous algae like the halimeda, shaving brush and sea pansy/mermaid fan use up quite a bit of calcium.

Feeding schedule: Frozen morning and night with reef roids/phyto/other filter feeder stuff once a day. I use the soft frozen V2o food as it is much easier for me to only feed what the fish will eat in the morning and night rather than dumping in a ton of frozen that won't get eaten. However, I have been broadcast feeding a little more the past couple weeks since adding a clown goby that is (hopefully) hiding.

• 3 weeks later...
Nutrients are actually pretty low given how much I feed with all the macro algae I have in the tank. Nitrates run at about 5-10, and I have to watch to make sure they don't get lower as then some of the constant uptake macros like caulerpa, etc. start to fade (turn translucent and disintegrate). I do monthly water changes, but I do dose iron once a week as well as calcium and alk 1x a week. The calcareous algae like the halimeda, shaving brush and sea pansy/mermaid fan use up quite a bit of calcium.

I've been attempting to raise my Nitrates, currently I'm reading 0 and so is my LFS, I think having a fuge space the same size as my display is a good and bad thing. I have the same issue with my Caulerpa, but even at 0 Nitrates, only small sections fade out at a time, except for the batch I keep in my display that seems to take a big hit often. I feel like I am doing heavy feedings daily. What are you doing to keep your Nitrates Over 1? I am surprised you are getting readings of 5-10 with only 2-3 fish and so much macro and softies.

On a side note, I want to steal dot and bob.....but I would fear for the lives of my sexy shrimp.

I've been attempting to raise my Nitrates, currently I'm reading 0 and so is my LFS, I think having a fuge space the same size as my display is a good and bad thing. I have the same issue with my Caulerpa, but even at 0 Nitrates, only small sections fade out at a time, except for the batch I keep in my display that seems to take a big hit often. I feel like I am doing heavy feedings daily. What are you doing to keep your Nitrates Over 1? I am surprised you are getting readings of 5-10 with only 2-3 fish and so much macro and softies.

On a side note, I want to steal dot and bob.....but I would fear for the lives of my sexy shrimp.

I feed every other day - probably a half of a cube to a full cube of either pacific plankton or mysis. The crouchers eat quite a bit! They don't seem to go after my small crabs - either the blue leg hermits or my pom poms. All will crawl right up to them and they just swim away. Or let the crabs crawl on them and just play dead. It's kinda funny. So I feed heavily for only that amount of fish given they're small. I also feed reef roids for the NPS gorgs. And if I don't keep up with that schedule or feed a little less, I notice the phosphates and nitrates are depleted QUICK. Then my caulerpa is the first to take a hit. It's like the weather gauge of the tank :lol: If it starts to look like crap, I know nutrients are down.

Dot and Bob are funny. They come right up and snag the pipette - they are NOT shy. I need to clean out some of the macro though because when it gets to jungle proportions, I have trouble finding them if they move spots lol

But they actually do swim out to get food as long as I'm in a 5" range.

I feed Reef Frenzy, Zu Feast, Arctic pod feast, Reef roids, plus a few other things and lately freshly hatched brine shrimp. Every day at 3-5pm. On top of that, I only change out my filter sock when it begins to clog, in hopes of it being a nitrate factory, but nope it just fills with pods and nitrates remain 0. But I get about 3 dozen large amphipods that are about 1cm or more in size out of the sock. (To lazy to fish out the smaller ones) I already removed my Skimmer from the sump as well. I need to take a picture of that.... It's just a massive ball of weedy clutter.

I feed Reef Frenzy, Zu Feast, Arctic pod feast, Reef roids, plus a few other things and lately freshly hatched brine shrimp. Every day at 3-5pm. On top of that, I only change out my filter sock when it begins to clog, in hopes of it being a nitrate factory, but nope it just fills with pods and nitrates remain 0. But I get about 3 dozen large amphipods that are about 1cm or more in size out of the sock. (To lazy to fish out the smaller ones) I already removed my Skimmer from the sump as well. I need to take a picture of that.... It's just a massive ball of weedy clutter.

I am not running a skimmer or anything like that - maybe that's the difference?

I am not running a skimmer or anything like that - maybe that's the difference?

It's been over 2 months now without a skimmer, Nitrates still 0. Pictures of my Veggy soup of a sump.

20160518_131139.jpg

20160518_131150.jpg

14635920759651465425363.jpg

It's been over 2 months now without a skimmer, Nitrates still 0. Pictures of my Veggy soup of a sump.

20160518_131139.jpg

20160518_131150.jpg

14635920759651465425363.jpg

HOLEEE crap! That IS some serious seaweed soup! your volume of macros is much greater than my 12. While mine is a jungle, I'd say I probably only have 1/4 of the volume you have in your fuge in my DT. That's some seriously awesome growth!

HOLEEE crap! That IS some serious seaweed soup! your volume of macros is much greater than my 12. While mine is a jungle, I'd say I probably only have 1/4 of the volume you have in your fuge in my DT. That's some seriously awesome growth!

Sadly because of the Brown flatworms, I normally just toss anything I pull out of it instead of giving any to others. Mysis shrimp love the soup and the shear number of pods is intense. But, the flatworms do reduce the copepods population, but the amphipod and Isopod populations don't appear take any hits.

Ever since you got Dot and Bob, I have no joke been on Divers den every day just about. Eyeing for coral crouchers.

Sadly because of the Brown flatworms, I normally just toss anything I pull out of it instead of giving any to others. Mysis shrimp love the soup and the shear number of pods is intense. But, the flatworms do reduce the copepods population, but the amphipod and Isopod populations don't appear take any hits.

Ever since you got Dot and Bob, I have no joke been on Divers den every day just about. Eyeing for coral crouchers.

I get the diver's den sneak peek! I'll let you know if I see any come up. The post the new stuff at exactly 6 PM EST.

I finally got a semi-decent photo of Bob. Didn't see Dot today.

zP96hZN.jpg

Feather dusters:

NvA7pMN.jpg

tKlfpx4.jpg

Barbata:

DiZ5VsD.jpg

Caulerpa (can't remember the kind):

NjB8l6l.jpg

Blue scroll:

vDVxy2b.jpg

FlowerMama

Cool pic of your macros, I love your green stuff, esp those segmented these w/ the tiny poof on top and the big poofies!!!

That by far is the best and prettiest pic of Bob! He's a cutie.

Cool pic of your macros, I love your green stuff, esp those segmented these w/ the tiny poof on top and the big poofies!!!

That by far is the best and prettiest pic of Bob! He's a cutie.

I LOVE that explanation! I had been looking for the barbata for a while and live-plants finally had some in!!!

That barbata stuff is cool! Nice pics as usual

Thanks Jackie!!

I think I need to send you some :)

I would put it in my display vs. my sump. It would get lost in that mess. :lol:

I would put it in my display vs. my sump. It would get lost in that mess. :lol:

:lol: The seaweed soup sump! I have another cool caulerpa too you would like.

:lol: The seaweed soup sump! I have another cool caulerpa too you would like.

Oh? Picture!

I dunno what it is about Caulerpa, Stuff just fascinates me.

Oh? Picture!

I dunno what it is about Caulerpa, Stuff just fascinates me.

OMG you're asking for a lot :lol:

Actually, lights just went off but I'll take a pic for you tomorrow. It's got these weird green spires.

I finally got a semi-decent photo of Bob. Didn't see Dot today.

zP96hZN.jpg

How can you tear yourself away from your tank? I'd just sit there and stare all day long :D

All the pictures are great, the first duster picture is fantastic. And Bob... :wub:

How can you tear yourself away from your tank? I'd just sit there and stare all day long :D

All the pictures are great, the first duster picture is fantastic. And Bob... :wub:

You made my day :) thanks teeny! I need to get this tank in shape so I can enjoy it. Right now I look at the discombobulated mess of macros and glass that needs scraping and I get frustrated :blush:

Wow, I had no idea you had so many tanks. :D

Have you ever grown sargassum?

I have 3 tanks but never talk about my 20 long because it's supposed to be temporary. It's overrun with caulerpa so I have to start over but I grew this from a little sprout and woudl like to keep it but I have no idea how to cut / reattach to new rock.

ehgMYl9.jpg

Wow, I had no idea you had so many tanks. :D

Have you ever grown sargassum?

I have 3 tanks but never talk about my 20 long because it's supposed to be temporary. It's overrun with caulerpa so I have to start over but I grew this from a little sprout and woudl like to keep it but I have no idea how to cut / reattach to new rock.

ehgMYl9.jpg

:lol: I have too many tanks!!

You can just glue it up! I have some that I have floating in my sump. I had moved it from my 12. But two days ago I found a good size sprout growing from a rock!! It attached on its own. But you can glue the end of the sargassum to rubble and it should work. And God help me, hopefully I'm not advising you on something that will kill it. But that worked for me. And it's not dead .... Yet :)

I did not know you had a 20!!!

And that's an awesome piece of sargassum!

Archived