Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Well this has been illuminating overall, thanks everyone

Anyone ever see the movie "Dirty Harry" by Don Siegel? Very inspirational apparently :naughtydance:

Heres a cool progression of a Reef Raft Starfire. IDC about the name but the growth is neat

7BE150AA-1384-456E-9B84-ABC40E912CE7_zps
BDA63788-4F1E-4DE7-A06D-4E67978805E2_zps

D14DE4A6-FBCE-412C-9588-B19A83D35ADD_zps

5391150C-6EB1-4A82-9705-058AEF623C41_zps

47D11EA3-968A-4326-8EDB-1E87EB66C2F7_zps

How is the shadowing with the extra light?

Significantly better! I hope in a few weeks I will have no discoloration :)

You know Harold, I never understood shadowing until I started growing SPS in my frag tank under chinese black boxes. now I get it and it sucks. Evil Cluster FTW.

Just saw this! Yeah.. I feel ya. Not bad with the additional light :)

SPS Look good Harry. If you can keep the red planet alive you're doing better than I am!

I wish I could get teal acros instead of red! haha

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good Harold. Don't sweat the vertical growth to much man, you are getting great encrusting growth and the key to a strong acro colony is a good strong base.

Looks good Harold. Don't sweat the vertical growth to much man, you are getting great encrusting growth and the key to a strong acro colony is a good strong base.

Ahh okay.. This is roughly 2 months growth I think so overall pretty darn quick growth. Just have lots of vertical space available and not so much horizontal :lol:

Ahh okay.. This is roughly 2 months growth I think so overall pretty darn quick growth. Just have lots of vertical space available and not so much horizontal :lol:

dang that is some nice growth and coloration for 2 months!

dang that is some nice growth and coloration for 2 months!

Need to double check the exact timing, but I think so- less than 3, more than 1 ;)

Without a strong base this would have just toppled over and I would of gotten so tired of trying to get it to stay where I wanted it it would have just died. Instead it grew a solid base and was huge.....

24611533956_cc8f937448_z.jpg

Without a strong base this would have just toppled over and I would of gotten so tired of trying to get it to stay where I wanted it it would have just died. Instead it grew a solid base and was huge.....

24611533956_cc8f937448_z.jpg

Hang on Chris is that yours!?!?!

Need to double check the exact timing, but I think so- less than 3, more than 1 ;)

either way it's a good amount of growth.

Hang on Chris is that yours!?!?!

Was, yes. Yes ago I had that monster among others in my 180.... then I had a skimmer pump melt down and kill off like 20 fish and hundreds of acro colonies and frags. That colony was like 14x9x9 or something like that when I pulled the dead skeleton after the crash.

Was, yes. Yes ago I had that monster among others in my 180.... then I had a skimmer pump melt down and kill off like 20 fish and hundreds of acro colonies and frags. That colony was like 14x9x9 or something like that when I pulled the dead skeleton after the crash.

Man thats just sickening to hear... Sorry Chris. Was there a thread at the time?

Man thats just sickening to hear... Sorry Chris. Was there a thread at the time?

Yeah it sucked. It was like 5 yrs ago I think. Naw I didn't take many pics back then. Just had a crapy point n shoot... hell I have a nice DSLR and still don't shoot 99% of what I have/ had lol

Yeah it sucked. It was like 5 yrs ago I think. Naw I didn't take many pics back then. Just had a crapy point n shoot... hell I have a nice DSLR and still don't shoot 99% of what I have/ had lol

Dang sorry about that man, that piece was immaculate.

So I decided to move the Vortech to the center of the right side rather than to the left of the right side.

BOOM! Detritus everywhere! Polyp Extension on the acros like I've never seen! I think by being careful about agitating the clam I was lowering flow excessively. TBH I would love to MP10wQDs instead of this MP40wQD for more controllability :)

AE2926A5-3695-40F8-8B99-C194EF77B97B_zpsClam thats been with me for over a year now isn't looking great :( Nutrients seem good, parameters really good. Unfortunate. 5A0C2C3B-D16C-46BE-A9D8-CDF4981168F3_zps

Ah Harry, I am sorry. Now I feel bad that I told you a new light is not necessary because its my guess that that is why your clam is not looking as good.

Ah Harry, I am sorry. Now I feel bad that I told you a new light is not necessary because its my guess that that is why your clam is not looking as good.

Either way not your fault; Lucinda has been declining for about a month.

Also, I do not really understand why all the sudden it would struggle after appearing happy for so long. Clams are a struggle. I think I will contact Gena and see what she thinks as well

Aw, I'm sorry about the clam, Harry. I hope it pulls through!

FTS looks great, though :wub:

Thanks TeenyReef, everything is going NUTS. Dosing climbing. Acros dancing with PE. The green cap that got stung by the Hollywood stunner is shedding off its algae day by day as it regains flesh.

Either way not your fault; Lucinda has been declining for about a month.

Also, I do not really understand why all the sudden it would struggle after appearing happy for so long. Clams are a struggle. I think I will contact Gena and see what she thinks as well

:( This is what happened with my gold maxima. I'd had it for about 9 months then just went down.

I had a crocea, Clammy for about 4 years before I sold it in October since it was not seahorse safe. Anyway, one thing I remember about clams is they rely more on nutrients and being fed in the water column when they are under 3" and then after that they rely more on their mantel to provide photosynthesis for energy. It is hard for me to tell how big Lucinda is, any chance she is in the 3" range and her needs changed?

I had a crocea, Clammy for about 4 years before I sold it in October since it was not seahorse safe. Anyway, one thing I remember about clams is they rely more on nutrients and being fed in the water column when they are under 3" and then after that they rely more on their mantel to provide photosynthesis for energy. It is hard for me to tell how big Lucinda is, any chance she is in the 3" range and her needs changed?

Definitely around that size. I was under the impression that the ~300 par was enough, but with LEDs it is always tricky

:( This is what happened with my gold maxima. I'd had it for about 9 months then just went down.

Stinks. Seems like a pattern in many hobbiest aquariums, around a year they start to struggle :(

Great FTS, Harry!

Ha thanks :P

Tank looks good hairs. Sorry to hear the clam isn't doing so hot tho, its definitely hard keeping a variety of animals alive in our small systems.

So I decided to move the Vortech to the center of the right side rather than to the left of the right side.

BOOM! Detritus everywhere! Polyp Extension on the acros like I've never seen! I think by being careful about agitating the clam I was lowering flow excessively. TBH I would love to MP10wQDs instead of this MP40wQD for more controllability :)

2 mp40s would be even better :lol:

Archived