Top Shelf Aquatics

Thanks!

Last time I tested - which was awhile ago -

P04 ~0.02

Nitrates ~ 10

Alk ~7

Ca ~4.3

Mg ~ 1350

I don't run a skimmer. I really think the PE (and color) comes from the organics allowed to stay in the water column. It's basically like dosing Amino Acids. Which works well with strict water changes. Dangerous if you let a couple changes slide

I not one to debate wether or not skimmers are needed, but i think it depends on the tank size and bioload :) nano's where 25% of the water is 5 gallons or less, i personally dont think i would use one. But on my tank i do like having it. The amount of sludge and gunk and whatever else it removes from teh water has to be helping something lol Especially now with carbon/bacteria dosing that i am doing.

Clearly what you are doing works very well for you so dont change a damn thing!

I not one to debate wether or not skimmers are needed, but i think it depends on the tank size and bioload :) nano's where 25% of the water is 5 gallons or less, i personally dont think i would use one. But on my tank i do like having it. The amount of sludge and gunk and whatever else it removes from teh water has to be helping something lol Especially now with carbon/bacteria dosing that i am doing.

Clearly what you are doing works very well for you so dont change a damn thing!

Totally agree. Water volume and bioload are everything. My bioload is medium to small with 3 fish and a standard CUC. If I had more poopers I think a skimmer would be needed.

It's crazy how something that works for one tank could devistate another. It's all about finding what works for the ecosystem we've each setup.

In other news! Came home to a happy tank. Planning a water change in the next day or so. Hopefully getting a couple things out of the tank and to a buds soon too.

https://instagram.com/p/BOn9IfogTwX/

I think in a nano environment you either a) don't run a skimmer or B) run it extremely dry.

Sounds about right! Part of the reason I don't run a skimmer is because I don't know much about them and don't want to mess up a good thing. Running dry vs wet would be a learning process for me

• Like 3

The tank looks great, I agree, don't change a thing!

When I started running a skimmer on my 4g tank, the biggest difference was that it gave me a little more of a safety net if I started feeding too much, or slacking on water changes.

In my 10g tank, I run the skimmer as dry as I can. And I'm thinking about putting it on a schedule so it's off for 12 hours a day.

• Like 1

The tank looks great, I agree, don't change a thing!

When I started running a skimmer on my 4g tank, the biggest difference was that it gave me a little more of a safety net if I started feeding too much, or slacking on water changes.

In my 10g tank, I run the skimmer as dry as I can. And I'm thinking about putting it on a schedule so it's off for 12 hours a day.

Thanks John. That vallidates what I've been thinking. With all the holiday sales going on - I've had one in my online basket several times but could never hit purchase. The safety net would be great but winters in Minnesota keep me inside looking for things to do

• Like 1

INCREDIBLE TANK!

Thanks!

What precautions did you take when you went on vacation? How long did you go away for?

Over fed the fish in the days leading up to my vaca - get those bellys full

Did a large water change the day before

Filled up the ATO reservoir to the fullest extent

Filled up and turned on the auto feeder

Filled up the Alk and Ca containers

Nothing crazy. Just anything I can to give the tank the best chance of survival

• Like 2

Sooooo speaking of no skimmers.... I tested PO4 for the first time in awhile and I was at .54 on a Hanna checker! This was before a water change. The only coral showing any signs of stress is the Gold Torch. The tenticles are are thinner and more limp than before. Everything else looks great.

I'm positive it's from over feeding. The auto feeder puts in more pellets than I'd like and I was feeding heavy prior to vacation. My PO4 has always run about .03-.08ish

Planning another water change and GFO in the reactor today.

• Like 1

My classroom tank is in recovery mode from high phosphates - mistake on my part for not really thinking about that as being the cause of my issues! Those automatic feeders and pellets are convenient, but things can definitely go in a direction you don't want them to.
Glad to see your tank is doing well though - everything is looking beautiful and it's fun to see updates :)

• Like 1

My classroom tank is in recovery mode from high phosphates - mistake on my part for not really thinking about that as being the cause of my issues! Those automatic feeders and pellets are convenient, but things can definitely go in a direction you don't want them to.

Glad to see your tank is doing well though - everything is looking beautiful and it's fun to see updates :)

Thanks! Spikes happen. I've done two large water changes and put in some GFO. Should be back to normal soon

One of my favorite tanks on NR. Keep it up man! The bottom left, is that JF jack-o-lantern?

Thanks Dave!

It is a Jack-o-lantern. It gets no direct light and loves it. Easily one of my fav corals of all time.

• Like 1

PhosphateRX, drops phosphate instantly. Markalot posted about it in some other thread and I bought it. I think teeny uses it too. Stuff is like magic. Good to have for emergency or for maintenance.

Did you see any stress when the parameter dropped so fast?

I've been contemplating a remover

they warn you to not add too much at once and to only drop 0.5 a day.

I think my Hanna initailly gave a false reading. Two water changes and some GFO and I'm down to 0.06. Hopeing to stay right there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IPHONE PIC! Sorry...tried to get the saturation right but it's pretty tough.

This SPS rock is growing like crazy. I'm spending more and more time trimming SPS bonsi style to keep things filling in

4AC39199-E7EE-4DF2-8024-5114DF7BF584.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds like you have only good problems right now. :)

It looks great!

They are good problems. Your frag tank is seriously killing me though. I am in need of one too. You're going to have a blast with that thing.

• Like 1

Such a wonderful tank.

Are you running a Radion template or a custom template on the light? Would you mind sharing a bit about how you chose your light settings?

• Like 1

IPHONE PIC! Sorry...tried to get the saturation right but it's pretty tough.

This SPS rock is growing like crazy. I'm spending more and more time trimming SPS bonsi style to keep things filling in

4AC39199-E7EE-4DF2-8024-5114DF7BF584.jpg

If you ever find yourslef with too many clippings or want a place to keep a few frags for safe keeping i know a tank that could hold them for you :) lol Looking great as always man!

• Like 1

If you ever find yourslef with too many clippings or want a place to keep a few frags for safe keeping i know a tank that could hold them for you :) lol Looking great as always man!

I'll make you some and hit you up when its worth meeting up. Fragging my Spongeode tonight.

Such a wonderful tank.

Are you running a Radion template or a custom template on the light? Would you mind sharing a bit about how you chose your light settings?

Thanks a lot.

It's a schedule I made. It's a simple ramp up and ramp down. My peak is pictured below and the curve is below that. I've been pretty happy with it and can't find any reason to adjust it right now. Let me know if you want more detail

19641FF1-6984-4B05-893A-8FAAC3C78311.png

A94AE05C-0596-4F31-A4B5-4E252EE8C80E.png

Amazing looking tank, great job!

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Not a problem at all! I have been back on Nano Reef in anticipation of getting back into the hobby, sold all my stuff off when we sold our old home and move to a new house. I set up a 180g Frontosa tank but freshwater is just not my thing, it is all being sold off this weekend and hopes to set up a 25g cube.

• Like 2