ReefCleaners.org

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

HarryPotter

Just wait until they decide they want a snail's shell. It's like the crab mafia.

Well so far so good, with just a snail taking a ride on a hermit :lol:

You really thing the small hermits can battle this? I like it- it has this tube that makes it look like its scuba diving.

IMG_0519_zps87kqssrc.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

ahhh nassarious snails. I have a few tank-bred ones, they're great for turning over the sand bed (along with my sand sifting star) and are freakishly fast as far as snails are concerned. big fans. I've lost a few to hermits over the years with the previous tank, though. not taking any chances this time around.

Everything looks great! I have no hermits or emeralds this time around in my tank because of the very same issues. They are fun to watch but not at the life of my snails or corals. I only have turbos this time around to combat some algae I have growing. I would not normally have them either, as they really do get to big for my system, potty a LOT and knock over stuff that is not glued in well. But I do like them.

I can not easily keep a gongipora in the system I have either. As they require so much target feeding with fine foods that it makes the algae grow really fast. I had to rehome mine. Yours is very healthy and pretty. I pray it grows well for you!

I am also nursing some Dendro I was sent in a mail order that was near dead and starved. Yours looks a lot better than mine. I hope yours makes it!

thecoralbeauty

Thanks! I'm hopeful about the goni. I've always admired them.

Also, the Dendro ate 3 shrimp this afternoon when I got home from work. Will feed again him after I feed myself!

Thanks! I'm hopeful about the goni. I've always admired them.

Also, the Dendro ate 3 shrimp this afternoon when I got home from work. Will feed again him after I feed myself!

That is exciting that your Dendro ate! I have four heads. One wont eat at all. The other three I have gotten to eat about every other day. But just a small brine shrimp or chopped mysid. They seem to be growing a few little yellow tentecles. I hope they make it. Such beautiful corals when healthy and happy.

thecoralbeauty

That is exciting that your Dendro ate! I have four heads. One wont eat at all. The other three I have gotten to eat about every other day. But just a small brine shrimp or chopped mysid. They seem to be growing a few little yellow tentecles. I hope they make it. Such beautiful corals when healthy and happy.

Mine won't extend the full way, weirdly. Back to feeding!

The Red Goni is Happy!!! (And the clam says hi)

IMG_2561_zps6xpr1rjy.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsqdweenud.jpg

Love you clam I use to have one just like it I want to get one for my new setup.

HarryPotter

Love you clam I want to get one for my new setup.

Eek! Clam in a newly setup tank? jkjk I know what you mean

Eek! Clam in a newly setup tank? jkjk I know what you mean

Tank is a year and half old 35 gallons of the water came from my NanoCube 28 and evolve 8 and all the rock is from those tanks or my other tank that has been setup for 10 years. Only thing new is 20 lbs of sand and 5 gallons of water.

But it is a new setup just old livestock if that makes sense. (Also I have kept my far share of clams)

thecoralbeauty

Clams are the best. Hands down. And so is gena, for sending me some of her purple monticap. Wednesday is going to be an exciting day for the tank. I get my RO system AND a sweet frag in the mail. I'd better get my master's work for the week out of the way tonight and tomorrow so I can have time to play!

hypostatic

The red goni looks like the "ORA red" goni (planulata?). The pink I'm not sure; it looks similar to one of mine, but mine has black spots on like, the stems of the polyps.

thecoralbeauty

Colors on the clam are gorgeous.

Thank you!!! I definitely stalk your tank thread pretty often too, speaking of gorgeous.

The red goni looks like the "ORA red" goni (planulata?). The pink I'm not sure; it looks similar to one of mine, but mine has black spots on like, the stems of the polyps.

it's the ORA red! =) see? you are the expert.

Exciting Fun!!!! It'll feel like Christmas!

or a last-week-of-school party! (almost)- we have testing and wrap up, but its the last week that I teach any classes, so I think it counts.

Your tank is very nice. I love your coral selection.

Thank you thank you!

thecoralbeauty

I've decided to get another fish for my wrasse to swim with, but not sure what I should get. I've always loved coral beauties but I'm not sure if I want to risk the potential coral-picking issues. I've also always loved copper band butterflies, but I worry that it would be stressed in this tank bc of the size (though, I would argue, he would have lots of swimming room and lots of yummy aptasia to munch on).

I've also always loved the anthias but heard they're impossible to keep alive with how much they need to eat. sigh.

I've had a bangaii cardinal in the past and appreciated how he stayed out in the open, but honestly he didn't add much in terms of color or personality.

Maybe I should just leave it with my fun little trio.

Thoughts?

Anxiously awaiting the RO/DI filter and gena's monticap frag to arrive tomorrow!!! EEEP! In the meantime I'm writing essays and feeding the Dendro. Hopefully he'll start being able to extend the full way once he gets enough nutrition in him!

Coral beauties have be known to nip at clams too! :scarry:.

I hear you on the bangaii....while pretty, they don't have much personality...like at all LOL. I wish I knew of a fish that was an open water swimmer that didn't cause problems. Really...angels would be perfect otherwise!

thecoralbeauty

Coral beauties have be known to nip at clams too! :scarry:.

I hear you on the bangaii....while pretty, they don't have much personality...like at all LOL. I wish I knew of a fish that was an open water swimmer that didn't cause problems. Really...angels would be perfect otherwise!

Yea, i'm not willing to risk my clam!!

Broke off the algae bits on the birds nest. looks much better. hopefully it won't grow back!!

I've decided to get another fish for my wrasse to swim with, but not sure what I should get. I've always loved coral beauties but I'm not sure if I want to risk the potential coral-picking issues. I've also always loved copper band butterflies, but I worry that it would be stressed in this tank bc of the size (though, I would argue, he would have lots of swimming room and lots of yummy aptasia to munch on).

I've also always loved the anthias but heard they're impossible to keep alive with how much they need to eat. sigh.

Decissions, decissions! This is one of my favoite parts of keeping a reef. What to get. I love the reasearch. I love the looking at local fish stores. I love getting what I decided on. So much fun. Cant wait to see what you get!

I've had a bangaii cardinal in the past and appreciated how he stayed out in the open, but honestly he didn't add much in terms of color or personality.

Maybe I should just leave it with my fun little trio.

Thoughts?

Anxiously awaiting the RO/DI filter and gena's monticap frag to arrive tomorrow!!! EEEP! In the meantime I'm writing essays and feeding the Dendro. Hopefully he'll start being able to extend the full way once he gets enough nutrition in him!

I would get an RODI unit but have well water and I hear that it is a bit trickier with well water. I am not up for the challange. Glad you can get one. My little sickly dendros are hit and miss if they eat or not each day. One day they will eat and I get all excited and the next not so good. I just keep trying.

Broke off the algae bits on the birds nest. looks much better. hopefully it won't grow back!!

I hope that works well for you. We learn from each other and we can see if that fixes the trouble with the algae. I love birdsnest and plan on keeping several.

HarryPotter

Yea, i'm not willing to risk my clam!!

Quick important question-

I removed Lucinda from her ugly rock (The old original) by giving her a few twists, and put her on a new one. There were a few Byssal threads left on the old rock, so im a bit worried that she got hurt.

Any advice? Ill check on her soon and see if she has opened :)

thecoralbeauty

Quick important question-

I removed Lucinda from her ugly rock (The old original) by giving her a few twists, and put her on a new one. There were a few Byssal threads left on the old rock, so im a bit worried that she got hurt.

Any advice? Ill check on her soon and see if she has opened :)

threads are one thing, more tissue is another. do see how she does when she opens. fortunately mine have all let go when i asked them to, but some small threads shouldn't be a huge issue....

My vote is YELLOW CLOWN GOBY!

20150517_140529_zpss9dixovw.jpg

yea but... open swimmer!! i have a pearly jawfish and the high fin goby/pistol pair already.

Archived