Cultivated Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

I'm impressed :bowdown:. You must have really great tap water :).

I applaud my clam as well as the tap =)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applaud my clam as well as the tap =)

Yeah...I was thinking that too. I have two poop sucker uppers in my tank :).
thecoralbeauty

Yeah...I was thinking that too. I have two poop sucker uppers in my tank :).

they're so helpful and pretty!! He's my favorite. =)

thecoralbeauty

Frag swap was today. I was very proud of my self-control.

The Haul: (Pics to come once they stop being pissed. Snot is finally mostly gone, but I'm running new carbon and patiently waiting for things to open up)

-Green Torch

-Red/Black ORA gonipora (longish stalks?)

-Pink gonipora (shorter-medium stalks)

-Purple Chalice with Pink mouths

-Dendro (!!!)- a steal of a deal too!

-Unidentified Sps (acro-looking thing?)

Will need help identifying the SPS once I get photos up. I would also love some placement ideas for the two goni's as well. Most people tend to recommend low-medium flow, but there's a lot of argument about light. I'll play around with them to see what they like most in my tank, but y'all give such great advice, I figured I'd ask. Also, placement as to the Dendro would also be greatly appreciated. I have him in a low flow and medium light (in a shadow).

So excited!

thecoralbeauty

ooh lets see! Im dying for a nice torch!!!!

The new tank has water btw- check it out!

don't get too excited, he's itty bitty. nice green through with lighter green tips. Never had a torch, always adored watching them though. They remind me of elegance corals. He's actually the happiest right now.

thecoralbeauty

Need help Identifying this guy:

IMG_2554_zps7fsxk46q.jpg

Dendro opening back up after I fed him this morning:

IMG_2553_zpsffrlpdtd.jpg

Pink Goni- seems to be getting happy

IMG_2552_zps8y2l8t02.jpg

ORA Red Goni:(not at all happy- ideas as to why?)

IMG_2551_zpsrommbyd5.jpg

Baby Torch:

IMG_2549_zpsmlyiyfbo.jpg

FlowerMama

I can be of no help on the goni. I tried mine in various light levels and flow and never made it happy. It started looking happy and then w/in 2 mos, no matter what I tried it didn't work.

thecoralbeauty

hoping hypostatic will chime in. he seems to be the goni god around these parts.

with all the coral buzz at the frag swap I've come up with a new shopping list:

-blue or purple stylophora

-purple monticap

-some other fish to go around with my wrasse (high swimmer, colorful) etc. I have been considering a copper band butterfly for about a month and keep coming back to it. there's gotta be something similar that would be a better fit, no? hm.

unfortunately none of my LFS have any of the above. hmmm.

Also, ideas as to critters that might control the small bits of hair algae that came in on my pink birds nest? I have turbo snails and a stomatella snail, and one hermit crab left that don't seem to like to eat the pieces that are on the corals. Nitrates are still 0- and i have an RO/DI unit being delivered on Wednesday. I plan to do a water change then in case I have phosphates (I have no idea if I have them, I have no test.) Hoping I can battle the issue starting with those water changes, and by "issue" i mean like 2 or 3 small pieces- I'm just nervous. I don't want it to grow!!

HarryPotter

with all the coral buzz at the frag swap I've come up with a new shopping list:

-blue or purple stylophora

-purple monticap

-some other fish to go around with my wrasse (high swimmer, colorful) etc. I have been considering a copper band butterfly for about a month and keep coming back to it. there's gotta be something similar that would be a better fit, no? hm.

Oh man you would love my LFS! They have a super 'cap special, and I just loaded up on Neon Green, Purple, and brownish purple!

Less than $10 a 'cap as well!

IMG_0497_zpslocvfjn7.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsntlznryb.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Oh man you would love my LFS! They have a super 'cap special, and I just loaded up on Neon Green, Purple, and brownish purple!

Less than $10 a 'cap as well!

IMG_0497_zpslocvfjn7.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsntlznryb.jpg

arrrrg. do they ship????

I think the Goni will be ok, they just don't like to move. My ORA red was ticked off for a week, then slowly came out of it. They do like food, and Reef Roids was especially made for them.

HarryPotter

arrrrg. do they ship????

I never asked, but its called Exotic Aquariums.

I wanted a nice red rock flower anemone, but they were selling em for $40, where VIP Reef has DOZENS for around $24.99

All your new corals look great! I love your clam. I would like to get one but I dont know if it would do well under my lighting. I have the Current Orbit LEDs. I have been impressed so far what grows under them. I just dont want to get a clam and have it die from lack of light. The hair algae might be to long for the turbo to eat. Some times they only eat it when it is shorter. You could trim it if you have a siphon going right next to it to catch every little filiment of it once you trim it. I do that to make it short enough for them to eat. Options are lettuce nautibranch (for bryopsis), sea hare, urchins and mexican turbos. I think that is it besides the emerald crab. But I had mine ripe up corals as well so wont keep one now ever.

thecoralbeauty

I never asked, but its called Exotic Aquariums.

I wanted a nice red rock flower anemone, but they were selling em for $40, where VIP Reef has DOZENS for around $24.99

doesn't look like they do. drat!

All your new corals look great! I love your clam. I would like to get one but I dont know if it would do well under my lighting. I have the Current Orbit LEDs. I have been impressed so far what grows under them. I just dont want to get a clam and have it die from lack of light. The hair algae might be to long for the turbo to eat. Some times they only eat it when it is shorter. You could trim it if you have a siphon going right next to it to catch every little filiment of it once you trim it. I do that to make it short enough for them to eat. Options are lettuce nautibranch (for bryopsis), sea hare, urchins and mexican turbos. I think that is it besides the emerald crab. But I had mine ripe up corals as well so wont keep one now ever.

i had the same issue with my emerald- ate my baby plate corals! there is one lone survivor. send good vibes so he grows! i'll stop by the last LFS tomorrow on my way home from work and see if they have any lettuce nudi's

as far as the clam is concerned- yea, they like high light. i don't know much about the fixture you're talking about, but i also know that even under not-so-great light, as long as you supplement phyto they seem to do fine. Though, I haven't tested that long term. I can't say enough good things about clams though. no maintenance, beautiful, help the water quality... really interesting additions.

hypostatic

I pulled the trigger. Markalot helped ensure I ordered the right thing. TDS reader should be arriving Saturday.

Buying a RO/DI system is the best thing I've done for my wet glass box. Things are fine with tap for a while.... until they're not. It's like a critical threshold of stuff is reached, and then algae explodes everywhere and you're battling algae for MONTHS. Good move lol.

I'd give the gonis more time, they are super finicky. Let's say another day or two. Generally they seem to like high light, and medium/low flow in my experience.

Also, that dendro is mal-nourished/starving (LFS's fault, not yours). Make sure you keep up with the feedings. It's better if you do frequent small feedings over one large feeding, as it makes things easier to digest. Best thing I've found for dendrophylliidae is Hikari's spirulina brine shrimp

thecoralbeauty

Buying a RO/DI system is the best thing I've done for my wet glass box. Things are fine with tap for a while.... until they're not. It's like a critical threshold of stuff is reached, and then algae explodes everywhere and you're battling algae for MONTHS. Good move lol.

I'd give the gonis more time, they are super finicky. Let's say another day or two. Generally they seem to like high light, and medium/low flow in my experience.

Also, that dendro is mal-nourished/starving (LFS's fault, not yours). Make sure you keep up with the feedings. It's better if you do frequent small feedings over one large feeding, as it makes things easier to digest. Best thing I've found for dendrophylliidae is Hikari's spirulina brine shrimp

That's what I've been feeding it. He won't open up all the way, but definitely tries to inflate. I hope I can nurse him back to life- this is the first dendro i've seen that is going for less than 200 bucks a head, here. Considering I got him for 40- if I can give him enough TLC to save him, I'll be a very happy coral mama.

Thanks for the help. This forum was something I should have joined years ago. I'm anxious to get home and feed him/check on everybody.

Someone mentioned snapping off the algae bits on the birdsnest. Any objections? (I'm also a bit scared to do this...)

That pink goni is really pretty! I had a goniopora for a bit but it was huge and I ended up removing it. I picked up some arctic copepods for it and still have an almost full bottle. If you buy the Idaho Grape from me, I'll stick a baggy of this stuff in with your order. It's supposed to be great for gonioporas :). And mixes just like the reef roids, and other powdery foods. Just a pinch mixed with water.

Spenseriana

Fun thread!

I'm curious: why did you hate the crabs you had? Were they picking on stuff?

I never see my two scarlet legs. They hide during the day.

thecoralbeauty

That pink goni is really pretty! I had a goniopora for a bit but it was huge and I ended up removing it. I picked up some arctic copepods for it and still have an almost full bottle. If you buy the Idaho Grape from me, I'll stick a baggy of this stuff in with your order. It's supposed to be great for gonioporas :). And mixes just like the reef roids, and other powdery foods. Just a pinch mixed with water.

definitely ordering from you, gena!

never used reef roids or anything like that before, so i'll be interested to see how they like them.
setting up paypal now!

Fun thread!

I'm curious: why did you hate the crabs you had? Were they picking on stuff?

I never see my two scarlet legs. They hide during the day.

The hermits kill my snails

The emerald crab (though I love watching them) massacred all 4-5 of my baby plate corals.

HarryPotter

[quote name="mwhitelock" post="5030526" timestamp="1431968428"

The hermits kill my snails

The emerald crab (though I love watching them) massacred all 4-5 of my baby plate corals.

Uh oh really? I just got four hermits- they have reddish legs but I am not sure.

I'll keep an eye on them and the caps! Thanks!

Spenseriana

Yeah, something's been picking on my baby manicina. But it was during my no-emerald phase. I think it might have been my peppermint. Anywho, thanks for the reply.

I'm following along.

thecoralbeauty

Uh oh really? I just got four hermits- they have reddish legs but I am not sure.

I'll keep an eye on them and the caps! Thanks!

Just wait until they decide they want a snail's shell. It's like the crab mafia.

Archived