inTank Media Baskets

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

cnseekatz

My fuge is only 10 gallons (give or take) to my 45 gallon display, and I love it!

I didn't have to retrofit any plumbing, so you'll have to take that into consideration, but I like the idea of trying to mimic a natural (filtration, feeding, etc.) system as much as possible, and a fuge affords you a better opportunity to do that. You always hear, "The bigger the better," and that seems to make sense, as it gives you more surface area for beneficial bacteria, more room for your sand/rock/mud/macro, and more habitat for all the cool little critters that will live in it.

If you're thoughtful when you set it up, you can accomplish quiet a bit with 20 gallons.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, how much bigger would it need to be? i was thinking 20 gallon DT with a 20 gal fuge would at lest double my net volume and hence double the stability, but i could be totally wrong. i have no idea about these things lol

Watch this video from MACNA 2014 debating refugiums. I found it interesting.

righttirefire

20150502_210038_zpsrvhsw4u1.jpg

Here is mine while the silicone is curing. The was about 3/16" between each side and the baffle. I set the bottom of the bottom and fillet siliconed it. Pushing silicone into the gap at the bottom and around during the edges.

20150505_174602_zpsgtleknof.jpg

here it is as it sits right now water testing. Left to right my first baffle is 13" tall and sits 3/4" off the bottom of the tank the 2nd and 3rd baffles are 12" and sit on the bottom of the tank. There is 4.5" between the inside of the glass in the first and last baffle. That's enough for a 4" filter sock for the drain in the first chambet and ehiem 1250 return pump in the last chamber. It's about an 5 gal refugium, but live rock will take some of that up. It's a 13.875" x

20150505_174602_zpsgtleknof.jpg

This is my sump water testing... right now. It has 3/16" glass baffles. First and last chambers are 4.5" wide and will house a filter sock on one end and ehiem 1250 at the other. The refugium is 13.875 x 12 x 12 but I'll have a 4.5" DSB so actual water volume in refugium chamber will be 5 gallon minus live rock. And will double as a frag tank

thecoralbeauty

i am in awe. i have so much studying up to do and that is so crazy, they actually debate these things??? i'm fascinated.

after a crazy day at work, and a RFA that continues to move in the wrong direction... i came home to this. It's the "miss all-american beauty" rose, and it's probably the only flower i love more than i love my orchid collection. Just thought I would share the beauty!

IMG_2455_zpszi7lasaz.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Watch this video from MACNA 2014 debating refugiums. I found it interesting.

this is amazingly interesting, and hilarious.

hypostatic

I run without a sump just fine. I have a little hob filter that I converted into a fuge with chaeto, but I doubt it does much...

And what's this I hear about orchids? =)

thecoralbeauty

Maybe I'll just use the HOB overflow (if that's possible)- without messing with a sump/fuge. i have no idea. after listening to that debate i'm even more on the fence.

I run without a sump just fine. I have a little hob filter that I converted into a fuge with chaeto, but I doubt it does much...

And what's this I hear about orchids? =)

yes! orchids. I have tons of them. =)

In other news: the anemone hasn't moved despite my consistent poking. i'm beginning to worry that he won't. what do i do!?

I used a cheap hang on back filter on my old tank. Took everything out, added Chaeto, small light. Worked great. Didn't do much for stability but worked great as a refuge for pods. You can also buy HOB refugiums, but they are more expensive.

hypostatic

I used a cheap hang on back filter on my old tank. Took everything out, added Chaeto, small light. Worked great. Didn't do much for stability but worked great as a refuge for pods. You can also buy HOB refugiums, but they are more expensive.

Ah yeah, this is what I did. I got a Marina Slim, ditched the filters, stuffed it full of chaeto, stuck some LEDs on the lid, drilled holes on the top for a wire to the LEDs, put a little plastic barrier to keep the LEDs dry, and voilá. Here's what a Marina Slim looks like:

$_86.JPG

yes! orchids. I have tons of them. =)

Oh, then you have to share pics!

hypostatic

Ah I have that onc. twinkle!

Briefly skimmed the first page of the refugium thread, but this pretty much nails it on the head, from Veng:

"Properly sized refugiums work, and work well. Under lit, under sized, and poorly designed refugiums don't."

You need a fairly large fuge that's very brightly lit to really make a difference in NO3/PO4 absorption. On the other hand, even a relatively small fuge (like my HOB contraption), makes for a nice little reservoir/refuge(ium) for pods and microfauna -- which are important members of the microbiome of a good reef tank.

thecoralbeauty

Nice! Any tips for an orchid newbie? We have a few but they rarely reflower (or even grow much).

what kind do you have?

If you can get all those orchids growing like that, then growing corals will be a walk in the park!

Thank you!!

Ah I have that onc. twinkle!

Briefly skimmed the first page of the refugium thread, but this pretty much nails it on the head, from Veng:

"Properly sized refugiums work, and work well. Under lit, under sized, and poorly designed refugiums don't."

You need a fairly large fuge that's very brightly lit to really make a difference in NO3/PO4 absorption. On the other hand, even a relatively small fuge (like my HOB contraption), makes for a nice little reservoir/refuge(ium) for pods and microfauna -- which are important members of the microbiome of a good reef tank.

the pink profusion? it's so cute!!! my cats think it's yummy though (or feels good on their gums) so when it flowers i have to hide it out of their reach.

hm. so how big is big enough to be efficient?? seems silly to have a fuge that is bigger than the tank. this is lots of food for thought.

thecoralbeauty

I think they're phalaenopsis.

phals like lower light than oncidiums and vandas and dendrobiums, typically. So filtered or indirect light. I have all of mine in a north-west window, but the phals are farthest from the glass. They like to be mostly dry, and i wait about a week between waterings, letting them totally drain.

If you have a healthy plant that just won't go back into spike (wait at least 6 months usually between spikes)- sprinkling epsom salts on them helps coax up another spike. my husband had given me a phal and it hasn't bloomed in two years. i hated to throw it away, since it came from him, and it looked healthy but just never put out another spike. i tried the epsom salts and it's put out a spike for the first time since his passing. i'm beyond excited. just try not to do that with weak plants, as they may flower and then die, or may only produce short-lived flowers. (typically, my phal blossoms stay fresh for a month. )

I've also had them stay in bloom for 6 months. (the peachy phal has been blooming since august, and it's just now on it's last flower on the two spikes it put out). i've also had them put out two spikes, and a month later put out a third. just try to make sure the roots can drain reasonably well and water in the morning to avoid the water getting in the crown of the plant and rotting it out from there- not good.

i replant mine every year, trim the rotted roots, give new medium, and use a weak fertilizer every week. i just fill up my sink with it and soak them/wash the leaves, and stick them back in the window! they're pretty low maintenance, i think. phals are the easiest/hardiest, so you should be pretty good to go!

phals like lower light than oncidiums and vandas and dendrobiums, typically. So filtered or indirect light. I have all of mine in a north-west window, but the phals are farthest from the glass. They like to be mostly dry, and i wait about a week between waterings, letting them totally drain.

If you have a healthy plant that just won't go back into spike (wait at least 6 months usually between spikes)- sprinkling epsom salts on them helps coax up another spike. my husband had given me a phal and it hasn't bloomed in two years. i hated to throw it away, since it came from him, and it looked healthy but just never put out another spike. i tried the epsom salts and it's put out a spike for the first time since his passing. i'm beyond excited. just try not to do that with weak plants, as they may flower and then die, or may only produce short-lived flowers. (typically, my phal blossoms stay fresh for a month. )

I've also had them stay in bloom for 6 months. (the peachy phal has been blooming since august, and it's just now on it's last flower on the two spikes it put out). i've also had them put out two spikes, and a month later put out a third. just try to make sure the roots can drain reasonably well and water in the morning to avoid the water getting in the crown of the plant and rotting it out from there- not good.

i replant mine every year, trim the rotted roots, give new medium, and use a weak fertilizer every week. i just fill up my sink with it and soak them/wash the leaves, and stick them back in the window! they're pretty low maintenance, i think. phals are the easiest/hardiest, so you should be pretty good to go!

Thank you for the detailed directions! I have no excuses now! Well, no valid ones!

thecoralbeauty

haha I'm sure between me and all the other apparent orchid-nuts on here, you'll have plenty of ongoing support!!

hypostatic

I'm from Brazil originally, and orchids grow everywhere there with ease. Now I'm in NJ, and the learning curve.... has been cruel lol. I think the hardest part is dealing with humidity, especially in the winter when heating makes it drop down to like zero. With most orchids, I think as long as you can keep the roots humid and happy you can grow orchids

thecoralbeauty

I have a humidifier- colorado is crazy dry. the cats and i both appreciate how it helps with the hair static too.

FlowerMama

I'd say don't feed it, then see if it starts moving somewhere else in hopes of food. When it's where you want it, feed it. Only other option is trying to carefully dislodge it w/ a blunt knife underneath, about half way through it usually says, CRAP! , gives up and lets up. Totally just skim around the edge like you're wanting to get an omelet out of a pan.

thecoralbeauty

I'd say don't feed it, then see if it starts moving somewhere else in hopes of food. When it's where you want it, feed it. Only other option is trying to carefully dislodge it w/ a blunt knife underneath, about half way through it usually says, CRAP! , gives up and lets up. Totally just skim around the edge like you're wanting to get an omelet out of a pan.

I would try that, but it's in a deep hole and i can't get anything underneath it. i tried the ice cube thing, and then put a rock over most of the hole so it won't get light. I'm hoping it will crawl out in search of it!! bwaaahahaha!

ignore me....it's been a long week.

Archived