ReefCleaners.org

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

hypostatic

yeah, if I don't have a humidifier during the winter it's hello nosebleed city.

I built a big setup for my mom with like baker's racks and misters for her orchids. Has the great upside of raising the humidity on the whole floor lol.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

ignore me....it's been a long week.

Dang, I know, everybody I know has had a hellish week.

righttirefire

Too many flowers! It's your thread do what you want. Hopefully I'm about 2 weeks I'll be taking down my ac50 fuge. I build my own basket and have an led. Pm me I bet we can make a deal... my sump is up and running!

20150508_203039_zpsxdr4p0ye.jpg

FlowerMama

There are certainly many people who are doing these frog tanks that will probably reach out to you about orchids!

thecoralbeauty

So, I don't think I'm going to go with a fuge with this tank. i talked to my friend who has the fuge he's trying to get rid of that been set up for a year, but with my tank the way it is and how i'd have to do a HOB filter, it just seems like a huge risk of overflow/leak/flood/block, etc. Unfortunately now he's got me thinking about other thanks. I especially like the CAD lights one, but the shape i like best is 70 gallons, which is just ridiculous.

Smh. This is supposed to be the upgrade. I shouldn't be thinking about upgrading it already!!

FlowerMama

70 is a lot. But I feel my 60 is a lot because I already 3 tanks upstairs to do water changes on and lugging 5g buckets down 14 stairs to the 60g tank is tiring. But, I'd say if you're going to upgrade go with the biggest tank you can afford right now so you don't end up having to upgrade twice. Sometimes lights are only 100 more.

righttirefire

Of course. I don't have one. But if you have a ro/di system in your house and a saltwater mixing tank. You just pipe a line to your tank. It looks easy. Run a secondary pump in you sump that pumps to a drain line in you house. Pump the desired amount of water out of your system and turn on the pump for the fresh saltwater to refill. Easy peasy... lol. Watch so Mr saltwater tank TV on youtube. It's amazing how far people go with their tanks

thecoralbeauty

Of course. I don't have one. But if you have a ro/di system in your house and a saltwater mixing tank. You just pipe a line to your tank. It looks easy. Run a secondary pump in you sump that pumps to a drain line in you house. Pump the desired amount of water out of your system and turn on the pump for the fresh saltwater to refill. Easy peasy... lol. Watch so Mr saltwater tank TV on youtube. It's amazing how far people go with their tanks

oh my gosh. well, i always joke that one day i'll build my own house out on a piece of land somewhere where the only thing i have to interact with is my horse and my dogs. (and cats, obviously)- in this theoretical dream house i have also included a wraparound porch leading to a sunroom that i can grow corals with using the natural sunlight (perfect for the orchids too, eh?) maybe in my dream blueprints i'll also make sure i consider the plumbing necessary to eliminate the need for buckets.

There's a big frag swap coming up next saturday. i'm hoping they raffle off some cool stuff (sweet tank with sump/fuge anyone?) but even if they don't, i've also had a few dreams lately about settiing up the fluval edge again. the issue with that tank was always the lighting, though. in the meantime, i'm happily fussing over the tank I have now and marveling at how wonderful the lights are on it! Can't wait to see some growth. sometimes i think i've already seen it, but then i go back and think it's in my head. I'll update with some new photos and maybe you can be the judge.

oh my gosh. well, i always joke that one day i'll build my own house out on a piece of land somewhere where the only thing i have to interact with is my horse and my dogs. (and cats, obviously)- in this theoretical dream house i have also included a wraparound porch leading to a sunroom that i can grow corals with using the natural sunlight (perfect for the orchids too, eh?) maybe in my dream blueprints i'll also make sure i consider the plumbing necessary to eliminate the need for buckets.

There's a big frag swap coming up next saturday. i'm hoping they raffle off some cool stuff (sweet tank with sump/fuge anyone?) but even if they don't, i've also had a few dreams lately about settiing up the fluval edge again. the issue with that tank was always the lighting, though. in the meantime, i'm happily fussing over the tank I have now and marveling at how wonderful the lights are on it! Can't wait to see some growth. sometimes i think i've already seen it, but then i go back and think it's in my head. I'll update with some new photos and maybe you can be the judge.

I think we were separated at birth LOL. I too would rather interact with just my family and animals :D.

Guess what?..I'm the proud owner of 3 orchid plants. I told my husband I wanted orchids this year for Mother's Day. Good ol' Trader Joe and their great prices netted me 3 orchids LOL. Wish me luck. These are my first fingerscrossed.

thecoralbeauty

I think we were separated at birth LOL. I too would rather interact with just my family and animals :D.Guess what?..I'm the proud owner of 3 orchid plants. I told my husband I wanted orchids this year for Mother's Day. Good ol' Trader Joe and their great prices netted me 3 orchids LOL. Wish me luck. These are my first fingerscrossed.

WOO!!!! Three!? What an awesome mother's day gift! Welcome to the orchid club/addition. We're happy to have you!! What kinds did you get?!

WOO!!!! Three!? What an awesome mother's day gift! Welcome to the orchid club/addition. We're happy to have you!! What kinds did you get?!

Starts with a P LOL. Let me look....

phalaenopsis. I got 2 minis and one big one. The big one has white flowers and the minis, one is light purple and the other is yellow and pink/red. I put them in my front window that faces east.

I know not to water them too much. And that they need re-potted every year or two. I've been watching some videos on how to care for them :). The minis were only $8.99 each and the big one was $12.99. Whole Foods was asking $50 plus for something similar :o.

I thought that behavior was normal?

I don't know? We have friends that want to hang out with us every weekend :lol:. I guess we're just too much fun ;).

I don't know? We have friends that want to hang out with us every weekend :lol:. I guess we're just too much fun ;).

It must be a terrible burden!

I might be going back a bit but just found this thread:

My rock flowers seem to move in response to light more than anything; when I rearrange 'their' rock they move, if I decrease the light (to try to slow the growth of caulerpa), they move, increase the light, they move. Maybe your new (?) light is making the back of the tank brighter or the front too bright ??? I've found that once they find their happy spot they don't budge unless the light levels change. Maybe you could somehow shade the area its in and see if that helps? It's also possible it needs less light and is trying to escape the increasing light levels. Just some thoughts.

As far as a refugium .... My tank thread is linked below. I started with an AC 110 HOB, I felt like all it did was collect gunk that was nearly impossible to clean out. I could take it off and rinse it out of course but that kind of defeats the 'safe place for pods' idea. I won't pretend my tank has been perfect but it definitely improved once I removed the HOB and went filterless. My best results have been when I blow off the rocks to stir up all the settled crap about once a week and then do a 15-25% water change. I also got a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum that I set up and run as needed to clear out the excess waste in combination with blowing off the rocks. I have a lot of filter feeders and I'm not trying to keep SPS so your mileage may vary but I've been happy with my results (even after the caulerpa take-over :) )

Starts with a P LOL. Let me look....

phalaenopsis. I got 2 minis and one big one. The big one has white flowers and the minis, one is light purple and the other is yellow and pink/red. I put them in my front window that faces east.

I know not to water them too much. And that they need re-potted every year or two. I've been watching some videos on how to care for them :). The minis were only $8.99 each and the big one was $12.99. Whole Foods was asking $50 plus for something similar :o.

Ha. Got the wife a Phalaenopsis from TJs for mother's day also. Great deal indeed.

thecoralbeauty

Let me know how the mini ones work out for you. i've had hit-or-miss success with them- they tend to be more prone to crown rot than others

I can't seem to grow orchids. They always shrivel and die.

You have the XR30w with the RMS right? Can you measure how wide the portion of the mount is that attaches to the tank?

Can't wait to see some growth. sometimes i think i've already seen it, but then i go back and think it's in my head. I'll update with some new photos and maybe you can be the judge.

Take lots of pictures of your tank, and store them in dated folders on your computer. That makes it super easy to go back and look at old pictures side by side with new ones. You'll never notice the growth if you're staring at it every day. Putting the old/new photos together is a ton of fun!

Archived