Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Kerplah. Yeah thats way too steep. I will wait for a frag swap. Its good but its not that good. Lol

I know. It would be one thing if it was a larger frag, but they're just small sticks. i got my piece of oregon tort from him for 60- which i still felt kind of ridiculous about, but it was also a bigger piece.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you find out what that coral is let us know. I have one, it was among the first 10 corals I ever purchased. It hasn't grown much in 3 years, but it lived through 3 crashes and 2 tanks. It's a brilliant purple with a blue growing edge and some nights the polyps open up like yours, they are huge, and other nights they don't. Not like any other chalice I've had.

I know. It would be one thing if it was a larger frag, but they're just small sticks. i got my piece of oregon tort from him for 60- which i still felt kind of ridiculous about, but it was also a bigger piece.

Dude, you should join MASC and keep an eye out on the classifieds. Way better deals. And then there are the frag swaps. JOIN THE DARK SIDE! :P have you seen mind blowing corals stuff? They have lots of nice things. 90% of my retail purchases is from them.

thecoralbeauty

Dude, you should join MASC and keep an eye out on the classifieds. Way better deals. And then there are the frag swaps. JOIN THE DARK SIDE! :P have you seen mind blowing corals stuff? They have lots of nice things. 90% of my retail purchases is from them.

I got lots of stuff from the last frag swap- reef ed on the 16th, and my favorites from that haul were from mind blowing corals! i'll going that forum too.

What is that tort you have next to your birdsnest? Miyagi?

it's an oregon tort =) it's my favorite.

If you find out what that coral is let us know. I have one, it was among the first 10 corals I ever purchased. It hasn't grown much in 3 years, but it lived through 3 crashes and 2 tanks. It's a brilliant purple with a blue growing edge and some nights the polyps open up like yours, they are huge, and other nights they don't. Not like any other chalice I've had.

huh, someone on here must know...

I love how many animal-loving, awesome-sock-wearing, open-space-loving people are on this thread!! =) for once, i fit right in somewhere!

So, the jawfish is back out front on the right in the open on the sand bed again. my guess he got ousted in the middle of the night. i'm going to move a few frags over there to create sort of a rock pile for him and move some sand up there too. sigh. JUST PICK A HOLE, BUDDY! Oh my gosh. I just turned around as I was writing this and now he's in the little hole behind the hammer coral. *pulling hair out*

Also, couldn't sleep last night, so I creeped up on my tank, and got this awesome show. I bought it as a chalice, but, now I'm curious what kind, exactly, or if it is at all?

IMG_2625_zpsawt2eea2.jpg

I didn't know chalices did that :huh:.
Mr. Microscope

it's an oregon tort =) it's my favorite.

Never owned one, but it's in my top two or three I want. I knew someone who had a big colony of it and it was the bluest thing I've ever seen.
thecoralbeauty

oh, next to my birds nest?? hm. if you're referring to the little sprig on the flat piece of rock to the left of the pink birds nest (on the right island in my tank) i have no idea what it is. Then theres the new addition also on that flat rock that is lavender with green polyps- thats the monti setosa.

my oregon tort is above my encrusting monti collection and next to the red planet on the left island in my tank.

sorry. was typing and talking to someone in the room at the same time :unsure:

I always admire the huge colony of oregon tort at the LFS. it's gorgeous.

Acclimating the lubbock's wrasse now- and also got a few small pieces of rock for my front right corner in hopes that the jawfish will set up camp there and steer clear of the pistol's hole!

thecoralbeauty

New ID on the chalice- all he could say is that it seems to be a slow-growing echinophylia, which doesn't really tell us much except that yes, it is a chalice.

i'm actually taken aback by all the different kinds of chalice there are. Hollywood stunner are fast growing and thing- mouths and tentacles look totally different. i have a small chip of something else that is called a chalice that seems to barely grow at all, and then this thing. very interesting indeed!

New ID on the chalice- all he could say is that it seems to be a slow-growing echinophylia, which doesn't really tell us much except that yes, it is a chalice.

i'm actually taken aback by all the different kinds of chalice there are. Hollywood stunner are fast growing and thing- mouths and tentacles look totally different. i have a small chip of something else that is called a chalice that seems to barely grow at all, and then this thing. very interesting indeed!

I have to think there are multiple species or varieties and they just haven't been studied that much.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/factsheets.jsp

Looking at Echinophyllia and none of them look exactly like it IMO.

HarryPotter

Careful! My first chalice, a Hollywood stunner, is brutal!

It's colors and "eyes" are awesome looking, but it has 6"+ stingers apparently! Murdered my candy cane and almost my pipe organ colony before I figured it out

thecoralbeauty

so, despite the two wrasse getting along for the most part and leaving the jawfish alone...

and despite me going to the LFS SPECIFICALLY TO PICK OUT JAWFISH ROCKS....

He didn't make it through the night.

I'm pretty distraught. Jawfish are my favorite, and i can't imagine *not* having a jawfish in my reef.

Probably wait a week or two to make sure things are still stable after the death and then see about a replacement.

BUT, i also had a thought about firing up the fluval edge and putting the jawfish in there with a ton of sand all to himself to enjoy, and maybe decorating with sun polyps or that sweet tube anemone i saw the other day... (in his own corner of course).

Right now though, I think i'll just let myself be upset about it. Poor little guy.

thecoralbeauty

yea, sadly. I will get another one day soon!

I'm seriously considering just doing his own little tank, though.

I really wanted to upgrade (meaning when I upgrade this... trying to pace myself out a few years first though) to a larger tank with sump, but now i'm considering just going back to the previous set-up that I had running in college. I had my reef tank under metal halides in the ten (now twenty) gal, with all the corals and what not in there, and then the blue-spotted jawfish in the fluval edge with 5 inches of sand and nothing else because of the dang lighting. This time i'm thinking if I devote that 6-gal edge to a jawfish, he'd be the star of the show and i would decorate the rest with non-photosynthetics for color and again, not mess with the stupid stock lighting and just leave it be. No more tank or light investments, and the jawfish still has his own little show going.

reefing is definitely a practice in patience and restraint, though. i want all the tanks with all the jawfish!!! I know he probably just died from stress or something unrelated (water params are still perfect- as are all other corals and fish), but i'm still making myself wait.

FlowerMama

OH, sorry to hear about your jawfish. Yeah, just keep it simple is the best way to go. Would the jawfish be lonely by himself? I know getting a mater pair would be nice but that'd be too much in a fluval probably.

so, despite the two wrasse getting along for the most part and leaving the jawfish alone...

and despite me going to the LFS SPECIFICALLY TO PICK OUT JAWFISH ROCKS....

He didn't make it through the night.

I'm pretty distraught. Jawfish are my favorite, and i can't imagine *not* having a jawfish in my reef.

Probably wait a week or two to make sure things are still stable after the death and then see about a replacement.

BUT, i also had a thought about firing up the fluval edge and putting the jawfish in there with a ton of sand all to himself to enjoy, and maybe decorating with sun polyps or that sweet tube anemone i saw the other day... (in his own corner of course).

Right now though, I think i'll just let myself be upset about it. Poor little guy.

So very sorry to hear about him not making it. Loosing things from in our reefs are one of the hardest parts of this hobby. I always feel badly even if a coral desolves or doenst make it or a snail dies.

image.jpg2_zpsf1ktpmcm.jpg

dendro is happiest ive seen him so far!

Mine doesnt look as good as yours but is coming along. It is very time consuming to keep trying to feed it so often but I dont want to give up on them. I no longer have to gently shove food down their little mouths with tweezers. I can put the food on their mouths and they will take it in themselves. Each head eats about three clumps of brine shrimp a feeding now.

Do you still have to take your Dendro out to feed it or can you spot feed it now in the tank?

thecoralbeauty

So very sorry to hear about him not making it. Loosing things from in our reefs are one of the hardest parts of this hobby. I always feel badly even if a coral desolves or doenst make it or a snail dies.

Mine doesnt look as good as yours but is coming along. It is very time consuming to keep trying to feed it so often but I dont want to give up on them. I no longer have to gently shove food down their little mouths with tweezers. I can put the food on their mouths and they will take it in themselves. Each head eats about three clumps of brine shrimp a feeding now.

Do you still have to take your Dendro out to feed it or can you spot feed it now in the tank?

I have been spot feeding him in the tank since day 1- he's done well! though, he's closed up now completely.... must be a mood? do corals have moods??

OH, sorry to hear about your jawfish. Yeah, just keep it simple is the best way to go. Would the jawfish be lonely by himself? I know getting a mater pair would be nice but that'd be too much in a fluval probably.

not sure if he'd get lonely... the blue spotted jawfish i had in college was in there by himself, seemed fine. i'll maybe see about getting two pearly jaw's, since they tend to be a bit smaller anyway..

speaking of. the fluval build is hereby starting!!! should i make a new thread??

I was going to go to petco to pick up some live sand, a koralia pump, an extra light bulb for the fixture (i'm randomly missing one?) and a magnet... but it started hailing and raining like crazy on the way so... that was a nope!! turned around and came back home, now i'm writing this update!

HarryPotter

speaking of. the fluval build is hereby starting!!! should i make a new thread??

I was going to go to petco to pick up some live sand, a koralia pump, an extra light bulb for the fixture (i'm randomly missing one?) and a magnet... but it started hailing and raining like crazy on the way so... that was a nope!! turned around and came back home, now i'm writing this update!

Yes! New thread!

Sorry about the JawFish, thats a bummer :(

thecoralbeauty

damn rain. i'm excited to start this non-photosynthetic jawfish build. no idea what to call it, though. help?

Archived