Cultivated Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

hoping it's a scratch from a snail or something weird. maybe they dropped on it.... its interesting that it doesn't affect the other monti's and started in the middle.

we'll see how it reacts to the dimmed light and new RO water change tonight

gulfsurfer101

Could be an alk swing or possibly pests. I'd look in on them with a flashlight after dark and see if you could spot any nudi's.

I've had the exact same thing happen to my superman monti, white "scratch" that started in the middle of the frag. It just popped up one day, it's not getting bigger so I'm not too worried. Haven't seen any pests and all the other monti's are doing fine. The only thing that I could think of was I recently tried out a different saltmix and I am slowly replacing 1/3 of my usual RSCP salt every waterchange.

hypostatic

Hmmm, from what I think I remember reading, you've been stirring up your sand more, as of recently. Maybe this is releasing more things into the water for the diatoms

i agree it looks like a scratch. no dropping though...

All the polyps look pretty happy and extending, so I wouldn't say it has something to do with the water

thecoralbeauty

Thanks guys!

The diatoms are much better today, i'm betting it was just a reaction to changing over to RO/DI from tap. one of the most fascinating things about this hobby is how much one little change can affect the tank! barely see any at all right now!

Lubbock's wrasse is out and playing around with the flasher. so cute. who says you can't add two male wrasses at separate times??

I will keep an eye on the monti and how it progresses. I'm noticing a little green spot inside of where the white spot is. hopefully that's a polyp coming back?

IMG_2714_zpsxavcgfmm.jpg

Ric's are still upset- shriveled up and losing some orange. brown stuff coming out of their mouths... either something is off in the water that ONLY effects them, or they're just prissy little things and don't appreciate RO/DI water. I know they're pretty hardy so I'm not too terribly concerned, but this is as mad as i've ever seen them.

IMG_2722_zpsvzg3ysh4.jpg

Everything seems happy today after I turned the light down a bit- it may have just been too high, and since I acclimated it properly things were at least tolerating it just fine but it might not have been the best. I think i'll leave it at 50% and see how things continue to do. I think the only reason I'm even getting away with such a high intensity is the fact that it's 14k instead of 12k.

Looking good! That slimer looks like mine, and unlike a lot of corals I see people label as slimer. Big, fat, and usually happy.

thecoralbeauty

Looking good! That slimer looks like mine, and unlike a lot of corals I see people label as slimer. Big, fat, and usually happy.

the slimers are super happy all the time and growing fast! they were a gift, and i'm pretty happy to have them!

HarryPotter

Update on the Sunset Montipora:

IMG_2837_zpsfonxos1p.jpg

He's healing up really fast! wow!!

Nice!

I have a Sunset Montipora as well and thought I killed it when I accidentally got a ton of Coral Glue (I know, Im an idiot) ON IT!

Its actually growing ABOVE the glue! Pretty cool, and the shape is funky as well

Edit:

My polyp extension is not NEARLY as much as yours though! And its been looking pretty light recently with the Radion at 70% (Its really high up)

Im going to bump it back down to 60 and see how it goes

thecoralbeauty

this is from my other non-photosynthetic tank which now is the home to a pearly jawfish (as the one I had in this tank didn't work out, probably due to the pistol shrimp), but I realize there are some jawfish lovers following this thread so I thought I would provide the happy ending:

Happily digging away in the little fluval edge!

this is from my other non-photosynthetic tank which now is the home to a pearly jawfish (as the one I had in this tank didn't work out, probably due to the pistol shrimp), but I realize there are some jawfish lovers following this thread so I thought I would provide the happy ending:

Happily digging away in the little fluval edge!

O wow, how cute is that!

Now that I fully understand the size of a 20g Long....I have to say, you've made this tank look so much bigger than it actually is :wub:.

That's great news about the monti too!

thecoralbeauty

Now that I fully understand the size of a 20g Long....I have to say, you've made this tank look so much bigger than it actually is :wub:.That's great news about the monti too!

thank you!

im so excited to see yours!

thank you!

im so excited to see yours!

I can't wait to get all the 8g stuff in there :). I'm waiting till the end of the week so I don't freak the fish out right away with my hand in the tank gluing things down. Plus I don't want to overload the tank with glue and epoxy since it's a practically brand new system.
thecoralbeauty

everything is looking nice and happy. keep up with the dendro feedings!

he's refused to eat at all the last few days- what's up with that?

thecoralbeauty

Mysis- with the green spirulina. Mysis just plain, Brine shrimp, I even tried squirting some arctic copepods at him directly and he doesn't react. There's still flesh, he's not dead, but he won't inflate or stick his tentacles out. and when i try to gently stick some food on his mouth, he won't stick to it and it eventually floats away after 5 minutes.

Cool look, After you posted in my thread about the xenia on the back wall I had to take a peak since i have never seen that before. I love the look of that.

I am also running a 20 gallon long with two cats(Desmo and Dexter) they are a blast.

Happy reefing!

Archived