Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice haul that torch looks awesome glad you finally got one.

Did you see your z's??? I love the torch. And the trachy since greens and blues are my favorite colors :wub:

Send me that torch lol. Been looking for nice purple one.

Ok! Send me all your RFA babies :lol:

Why dip a new clam?

Sorry to hear about that :(

I didn't dip the clam when it was new. Half its mantle wasn't extending for about a week, about two weeks after I got it. Everything I read indicated a fresh water dip may help. At that point I probably waited too long to do it.

I never dipped my clam and it was .75" when I got it. Maybe it was that then.

I didn't dip it right away. It started looking bad about two weeks after I got it and I tried it as a last faith effort to help it.

Ah stella, I am real sorry about the clams. Your new corals are going to look stella r though!

Thanks Dawn!!!

Did you see your z's??? I love the torch. And the trachy since greens and blues are my favorite colors :wub:

Ok! Send me all your RFA babies :lol:

I didn't dip the clam when it was new. Half its mantle wasn't extending for about a week, about two weeks after I got it. Everything I read indicated a fresh water dip may help. At that point I probably waited too long to do it.

He's not around here anymore but kats friend zeph was to clams what Jedi is to LEDs. He used to say that if its mantle is already showing signs, most likely a freshwater did will not cure it and most people do it incorrectly anyhow by not having ph matched perfectly. I heard he was still around on Instagram or something but idk how to find him.

He's not around here anymore but kats friend zeph was to clams what Jedi is to LEDs. He used to say that if its mantle is already showing signs, most likely a freshwater did will not cure it and most people do it incorrectly anyhow by not having ph matched perfectly. I heard he was still around on Instagram or something but idk how to find him.

Believe it or not, I actually checked to make sure ph was close. they were off by 1/10 of a point so I figured close enough. I am pretty sure I waited too long. I know smaller clams are harder and while I was keeping phyto in the water, I still think it just wasn't good enough. Plus, my snails seemed to love to crawl all over the shell and they kept irritating the poor clam. Probably didn't help.

Was it an ORA clam by any chance?? They are often poor specimens for some reason.

yes. All three that died on me were ORA. The first one didn't ship well and died within the first 12 hours. The deresa was doing ok until I woke up one morning to it half eaten. Then the baby maxima which seemed to be ok for about a week, semi-ok for another week then just went way down hill quick.

Nice corals!!!

:) Thank you! Nothing like coral therapy to make you feel better!!!

yes. All three that died on me were ORA. The first one didn't ship well and died within the first 12 hours. The deresa was doing ok until I woke up one morning to it half eaten. Then the baby maxima which seemed to be ok for about a week, semi-ok for another week then just went way down hill quick.

:) Thank you! Nothing like coral therapy to make you feel better!!!

That sucks. If you decide to try another I would suggest not going with one from liveaquaria or ora. I know glenn used to get them before, sure he still can ;)

MetroKat said the same thing :(

Alot of people do unfortunately.... I've read it many times from many places over multiple years even. I'm not a big fan of ora corals in general tho anyway but there are definitely better sources for clams for sure.

That sucks. If you decide to try another I would suggest not going with one from liveaquaria or ora. I know glenn used to get them before, sure he still can ;)

Alot of people do unfortunately.... I've read it many times from many places over multiple years even. I'm not a big fan of ora corals in general tho anyway but there are definitely better sources for clams for sure.

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. I had a gift certificate to LA and decided to use it on clams given the fact that I've had good luck with corals and fish from them. But really freaking bad luck with the clams.

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. I had a gift certificate to LA and decided to use it on clams given the fact that I've had good luck with corals and fish from them. But really freaking bad luck with the clams.

well hopefully if you try again it will work out alot better the next time :)

ok, photo update. No FTS because lights are ramping down and I didn't take one. But here are a few shots of some of the corals I got today from both Glenn and Harry:

Torch from Glenn (currently in the 12 gallon):

VysJCox.jpg

Trachy from Glenn (currently in the 12 gallon):

L5n5C0r.jpg

Z's from Glenn:

fNfueUn.jpg

4wN9Wn9.jpg

Blasto from Glenn (12 gallon)

YOBVUlu.jpg

Some caps from Harry!

kYEeiKz.jpg

A stylo from Harry:

j7AtEDE.jpg

Monster Yuma from Harry:

R2hIFZT.jpg

No. So weird. I woke up one morning and it was half eaten. So I don't know if it died and the two hermits and skunks ate it or if something else did. I didn't see any pests and I looked closely. I then lost my baby maxima the next day (it wasn't fully extending on one side, it was only about an inch max so I think the freshwater dip did it in) so I am DONE with clams for a bit. And i"m not ordering clams from Diver's Den anymore.

That torch is sweet! And everything else looks great too. I'm jealous cause my tanks are full :)

well hopefully if you try again it will work out alot better the next time :)

:) thanks Chris! I know I'll try another clam. Just not sure when. I love them!

That torch is sweet! And everything else looks great too. I'm jealous cause my tanks are full :)

Thanks Teeny!!! bahhhhh. full tanks shouldn't stop you! Just keep adding. That's my motto.

:) thanks Chris! I know I'll try another clam. Just not sure when. I love them!

Thanks Teeny!!! bahhhhh. full tanks shouldn't stop you! Just keep adding. That's my motto.

They are the one thing I've never tried, even when I worked at the LFS we never brought one in. Always thought they were kinda cool just never pulled the trigger..... someday maybe LOL

They are the one thing I've never tried, even when I worked at the LFS we never brought one in. Always thought they were kinda cool just never pulled the trigger..... someday maybe LOL

HA! You should!!! When you do, I will :)

Understandable. I've got a few other things to get taken care of with the tank and rolling again before I try something I've never done before....

New FTS 10/7/2015

vMa0VCM.jpg

Acans:

rcL1dqd.jpg

Vit under his toadstool:

2VI0Y5p.jpg

Hidden cup corals:

8GonGnU.jpg

Frag rack waiting for new tank:

6MvpH7E.jpg

Katropora:

ZrNhnNO.jpg

Blue digi - I had to frag it because pink and golds were overtaking it. Again, I can't seem to get the blue to show up. It really is a very bright blue.

B1T0EaX.jpg

Pink stylo:

fv3rwyH.jpg

Happy Hammer:

MypvVps.jpg

Favia:

skGdgPh.jpg

Sunset monti - I cleared off pink and golds so you can see where they were totally shading the coral. Hopefully it rebounds.

aduq2c5.jpg

More acans:

7mpY3ye.jpg

hWcf4fw.jpg

EC7myAO.jpg

Well, one thing I will be doing soon is consolidating both this tank and the 12 long into a larger sumped system. Right now, looks like it will be the Cadlights 68 versa. So far, that's the plan! In the meantime, here are a few more photos:

Another shot of the hidden cups:

wX9tW25.jpg

A chalice on the rack:

g818B1f.jpg

Poci growing like crazy. It's a very bright, dark green, but since I only ever use my cell phone to take pictures, you can't really see the color well.

ZuyzNUD.jpg

Orange digi and palys:

D5GnuGW.jpg

Hermit hanging out under the duncan:

L0tLOMD.jpg

Some stuff:

pLvoM9B.jpg

The fighting conch that I've named Sparky - not the best photo, but I love this guy:

dYht852.jpg

Better FTS:

LjyAaO7.jpg

Palys, one with two mouths:

LWmi0F2.jpg

jedimasterben

Well, one thing I will be doing soon is consolidating both this tank and the 12 long into a larger sumped system. Right now, looks like it will be the Cadlights 68 versa. So far, that's the plan! In the meantime, here are a few more photos:

So upgrading to a big girl tank! Huzzah! It definitely is easier to maintain one than two, even if they are both smaller tanks. Twice as much equipment, etc.

Want a swanky light for it? ;)

So upgrading to a big girl tank! Huzzah! It definitely is easier to maintain one than two, even if they are both smaller tanks. Twice as much equipment, etc.

Want a swanky light for it? ;)

Whatcha got in mind, JMB?? Got one to sell???

Looks great! Everything looks so happy :)

I really like Sparky, he's cute :wub:

Your cup corals look a lot like the curlicue anenome that I have in my 10g tank, but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Archived