Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Ok fish nerds! This is my first tank where I haven't had to take it down for a major move, work, etc. Looking to really learn how to calculate tank usage for Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity now that I have a doser. I've always just tested a LOT and dosed manually. Looking for your suggestions on the process you used to learn this part. Thanks!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

in on that ^

What he said^

:lol:

Just looking for an easy way to calculate long term and as demand increases, seeing as I won't be manually dosing, don't want it messed up :(

HarryPotter

Nice!

Watch out for the provided connections- mine leaked. Where the pump tubing connects to your air line tubing.

Steensj2004

Nice!

Watch out for the provided connections- mine leaked. Where the pump tubing connects to your air line tubing.

You mean the little double nipple deals? Should I replace them?

HarryPotter

You mean the little double nipple deals? Should I replace them?

Dunno. 5/8 of mine have leaked. Im hoping to get new ones ASAP since I'm stuck with manual dosing

Steensj2004

Dunno. 5/8 of mine have leaked. Im hoping to get new ones ASAP since I'm stuck with manual dosing

Poop.....

What using for 2 part? I use the brs stuff and started using the recommended doses on their site and moved up slowly. First get your levels to where you want and start. Make sure your mag is above 1250 so things act way they should. I shoot for 1400-1500 mag to insure I dont drop to that level where parameters run about all but the way you want them lol.

Steensj2004

What using for 2 part? I use the brs stuff and started using the recommended doses on their site and moved up slowly. First get your levels to where you want and start. Make sure your mag is above 1250 so things act way they should. I shoot for 1400-1500 mag to insure I dont drop to that level where parameters run about all but the way you want them lol.

I keep my mag around 11350-1400. Start? I am looking for the bet way to calculate usage, should I test nightly for a week and judge that way?

I currently used Alk, Mag, and Calcium my LFS pre-mixes, from Tropic Marin I believe? Been considering mixing my own or switching to something new, like a 2 part.

I'd mix your own 2 part. I'd never trust anyone with that lol. Yeah when start test daily. Start with your estimated dose and watch what parameters doing. Adjust lower or higher as you go along. After week or two should be able to dial in.

Steensj2004

I'd mix your own 2 part. I'd never trust anyone with that lol. Yeah when start test daily. Start with your estimated dose and watch what parameters doing. Adjust lower or higher as you go along. After week or two should be able to dial in.

Awesome! He has been feeding for 30+ years, and is a Peraonal friend. He mixes a batch for me and him, as a favor. The same things he mixes for me go into his 220, I feel like I can trust him. His tank is off the chain, and I watch him pour the mix straight from the bottles I watch him dose with, lol.

Thanks, I'll ise your method, and I'll start mixing my own to learn how to do that. I appreciate the help!

I keep my mag around 11350-1400. Start? I am looking for the bet way to calculate usage, should I test nightly for a week and judge that way?

I currently used Alk, Mag, and Calcium my LFS pre-mixes, from Tropic Marin I believe? Been considering mixing my own or switching to something new, like a 2 part.

I agree with Plainrt. What I did was a WC on Sunday and test. Then I wrote those #'s down every night for a week. You will see what your system uses and what it needs daily.

Thanks guys! I'll start this Sunday. I'll also start mixing my own additives. Suggestions on brands?

BRS makes a great two part kit. Like the others said, water change, test and then test a few days later.

-Dave

Steensj2004

BRS makes a great two part kit. Like the others said, water change, test and then test a few days later.

-Dave

Thanks Dave, I used to dose a few times a week and dose accordingly. I've never had a tank up long enough to se major usage, so this is new to me. BTW, your light is still kicking ass!

HarryPotter

Thanks Dave, I used to dose a few times a week and dose accordingly. I've never had a tank up long enough to se major usage, so this is new to me. BTW, your light is still kicking ass!

So how much 2 part are you putting in daily? You don't measure it?

I was using the BRS ca, mag, and soda ash. Easy to mix up and lasts a long time. Only downside to that is the cost of shipping from them.

Lots of your pictures are missing but I found your FTS on the first page :wub:. Too bad the plate can't stay the size it is in that photo! That thing is massive!

So how much 2 part are you putting in daily? You don't measure it?

My tank uses 65ml daily of brs alk and cal. I like the brs stuff. I'm lucky my lfs stocks it so I don't pay shipping and cost is same as on brs :)

My tank uses 65ml daily of brs alk and cal. I like the brs stuff. I'm lucky my lfs stocks it so I don't pay shipping and cost is same as on brs :)

Damn thats alot of 2 part
Steensj2004

I was using the BRS ca, mag, and soda ash. Easy to mix up and lasts a long time. Only downside to that is the cost of shipping from them.

Lots of your pictures are missing but I found your FTS on the first page :wub:. Too bad the plate can't stay the size it is in that photo! That thing is massive!

Yeah, somehow all my photobucket pics got corrupted from 2/3 of my build....

Nice!

Archived