ReefCleaners.org

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about that, but it attacked the peppermint shrimp and ate my favourite red fan worm, so I crushed it and fed half to an anemone, then trashed the rest. Revenge, a dish best served at 24 °C

at least you did not totally waste his carcass. Also lol
jedimasterben

I thought about that, but it attacked the peppermint shrimp and ate my favourite red fan worm, so I crushed it and fed half to an anemone, then trashed the rest. Revenge, a dish best served at 24 °C

I did about the same to a bunch of sexy shrimp. Bastards ate a lot of my zoas, so I smashed them and fed them to their up-to-that-point fishy friends :)

I did about the same to a bunch of sexy shrimp. Bastards ate a lot of my zoas, so I smashed them and fed them to their up-to-that-point fishy friends :)

Man, talk about an expensive dinner time in your tank! I swear my last two shrimp would have ended the same way if the promise of store credit wasn't there..

I just got around to wiping down other tank, and found this thing growing under one of the pieces of live rock. It's soft, has a larger hole at the top that opens and closes, and the smaller bud things running down the length of it also open and close. Seems to have attached to the live rock.

wp_ss_20150403_0001_zpsscyomc6y.jpg

Nano sapiens

Looks like a colony of Tunicates. Harmless filterfeeders when by themselves, but I've had them try to grow over coral tissue before.

jedimasterben

Man, talk about an expensive dinner time in your tank! I swear my last two shrimp would have ended the same way if the promise of store credit wasn't there..

Sexy shrimp sell here for only $3-6 each, so store credit wasn't really much option lol

Looks like a colony of Tunicates. Harmless filterfeeders when by themselves, but I've had them try to grow over coral tissue before.

Oh cool, thank you! These ones are isolated to their own rock it would seem so hopefully there won't be any issues like you had :)

Sexy shrimp sell here for only $3-6 each, so store credit wasn't really much option lol

Wow, my $20 peppermint shrimp seem absurdly over priced now lol

They have a pretty cool pattern on the top where the larger hole is, covered in black and white streaks.

Another snail bites the dust! It's with a not-so heavy heart I say goodbye to the most lazy, overpriced turbo snail that ever did live. It settled in the same spot for a few days, I figured it was just doing it's usual "You ain't gonna tell me to clean up" routine. As my inability to keep most snails alive would have it, the nassarius were over him like Oprah on pudding and then ate the entire snail (pulled out what was left and binned it). The bulldozer tuxedo urchin has been begrudgingly moved back into the display.

Sand bed looks like a murder scene though, cyano is everywhere! Haven't this stuff in months, then boom, dead snail ruins everything. After a few water changes, should this stuff be back under control given I don't normally have it, or should I prepare for the invasion?

Lol, those are the best descriptions and analogies xD. The cyano simply is consuming the recent explosion of nutrients, you shouldn't have the invasion, and in all truth this should be gone in a few days.

Hahahahaha, my cat fell in the tank!! I was feeding my LPS and she decided to risk jumping on the tank, only this time the lid was up. Ended up with one very wet cat, a birdsnest frag that she managed to kick off the rock, and two very scared little clownfish! I don't think the cat found it as funny as I did somehow.

As for cyano, that's a relief, for now I'm leaving the crime scene clean up to the trusty fromia, he's never let me down before with it.

Haha well I can't see her going back for a round 2 anytime soon that's for sure. Most of the cyano from one side has already cleared up, the other side isn't as dark as it was initially either.

Have had to also cut back my xenia colony again, this thing has now slowed down. It started as maybe 5 stalks, in total I have 16 stalks including all the frags that were cut from it. Planning on letting these all split again, so should have 32 stalks in total, and then just having a constant supply to trade to my LFS. All of the pieces are on their own separate bits of rubble to prevent spreading to any of the main pieces of LR.

It is indeed, one of my favourite corals though so I don't mind having a lot of it. It's a strong pulsing variety and it seems fairly hardy, one colony constantly rubs against one of the hells fire nems and has had no damage from it.

Maybe the particular species I have don't sting as bad as others? The guy at my LFS grabbed one with his bare hands with no ill effects, to his credit weren't sure what they were at the time lol. Two also hitchhiked on a zoa colony and were constantly touching the polyps with no problems.

Maybe the particular species I have don't sting as bad as others? The guy at my LFS grabbed one with his bare hands with no ill effects, to his credit weren't sure what they were at the time lol. Two also hitchhiked on a zoa colony and were constantly touching the polyps with no problems.

you are probably correct, variations even in the same species can be quite great in corals.

So the tunicate colony seems really unhealthy, looks like it's about to die. Considering it's been on that rock for several months without me noticing, and I now have it flipped the other way around so I could see them, safe to assume my LED's are damaging it? I have that tank under 165W full spectrum, runs at 40% currently, and it's getting a lot of light now whereas before it was getting none at all.

jedimasterben

So the tunicate colony seems really unhealthy, looks like it's about to die. Considering it's been on that rock for several months without me noticing, and I now have it flipped the other way around so I could see them, safe to assume my LED's are damaging it? I have that tank under 165W full spectrum, runs at 40% currently, and it's getting a lot of light now whereas before it was getting none at all.

Why exactly would light hurt it?

could be the new flow, the shock could be killing him, also possibly unrelated illnesses affected him.

maybe its giving him a sort of sunburn?

Not entirely sure, I was just assuming that it may have been the cause as it seems to be going downhill after it was exposed to light?

could be the new flow, the shock could be killing him, also possibly unrelated illnesses affected him.

maybe its giving him a sort of sunburn?

Nothing abnormal about the parameters in the tank so it may very well be the flow. Should I position the rock back to where it was originally and see if it improves?

Beautiful, I'm suprised I haven't seen this thread before. Subbed

Thanks, appreciate it! :D Was just looking through your thread, your shrimp and goby pair is awesome!

Archived