Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

jedimasterben

I'll make sure I get a reputable brand, and run a magnet through the sand to be extra sure if I go that route. I don't think there is a fine grain black sand available here anyway, so I'll probably end up with white again.

I've used CaribSea 'Tahitian Moon Sand', which is non-aragonite and is very fine (though not sugar sand, you can pretty much only get that in tan), and also the 'Hawaiian Black' aragonite sand, both are magnetic, unfortunately.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! How much live rock would you expect would need to be used in place of the current amount of sand I have? Conservative guess, I have around 3-4kg of sand, and would be adding at least 4-5kg extra of live rock. He ate one, spat half the empty shell out a few days later after looking extremely unhappy, but I had to pull the rest out, didn't look like it was all coming out on it's own. The nassarius I've got all have extremely smooth shells so no damage fortunately. When he catches the bigger ones they just struggle a lot for a few minutes and end up getting away, the feeder tentacles are extremely sticky.

you'll be fine than, don't expect any cycle. Lol that's a mean polyp.
Thomas898

The sand I used was CaribSea Super Naturals. I did not have issues with magnetism with it. Grains are about the size of regular play sand. Really liked the look of it, just hated the fact that I could see all the detritus all the time on it.

Thanks so much, I'll try and see if it is available here at least.

I've used CaribSea 'Tahitian Moon Sand', which is non-aragonite and is very fine (though not sugar sand, you can pretty much only get that in tan), and also the 'Hawaiian Black' aragonite sand, both are magnetic, unfortunately.

I've had a decent look and I think they are the only two available, I definitely want to avoid the impellers getting clogged.. Looks like if I can't find the one Slowtwitch mentioned, black sand is a no go.

you'll be fine than, don't expect any cycle. Lol that's a mean polyp.

He's a beast. Gets fed about half a cube of frozen every 2-3 days lately.

Also, got a new Actinic + bulb to replace the old one and am switching to RSS Blue. Can't wait to get the new bulb in, old actinic one hasn't been looking the best lately..

Thomas898

It usually sits at around 8" x 6", when the parameters are just right it will extend up to 10".

Thomas898

Sure is, the long tentacle is not much smaller, fully extended gets to around 7", doesn't eat the CUC though... I reckon I'll need to change some of the rock scape to give it more space very soon.

Probably not good for my wallet, hate to think how many corals I'm going to force into nearly double the space I have now.. :P

Would appreciate all the people keeping SPS giving some opinions on this, I've had my SPS frags for just over 2 months now, I don't really notice how much they grow on a daily, but this is a before and after of the fastest growing piece. Is this much normal for two months? Hope everyone has had a good weekend!

post-86000-0-16859100-1431231817_thumb.jpg

post-86000-0-65769900-1431231875_thumb.jpg

LFS finally got the new tank in I have been wanting! Ordered one as soon as I saw it, looks great in person. Here is a picture of the set up that will be coming in the next couple weeks :D

post-86000-0-47360000-1431505705_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I very almost ordered that same tank combo for myself as well. Looks amazing in person, excellent build quality and good value for money. I didn't end up going ahead, it is essentially the same volume as my current system and I don't like the idea of a single drain, I would want the redundancy. I could always drill a second drain though. I can't wait to see it set up, so far I have only seen them empty, not as a running system :).

So not much new has been happening in the tank. The new one I ordered is arriving next week, but I am still not sure whether I am moving house shortly or not, so depending on that decision the tank may be delayed, which is never ideal! Still really excited to get it set up though.

The blue mushroom has decided to go for a walk and leave behind a large piece of it's foot. How long until this turns into a new shroom?

Most of the SPS have been growing really well, save for the purple acro and one other, which haven't really done anything at all. Green monti has started to really take off though.

I swapped the old actininc globe for a new Geisemann Actinic +, colour is much nicer and growth has been much more noticeable since changing. I have also switched salt mixes, have been using Red Sea Salt Blue for nearly a month now, and everything seems to like it much more.

Here's a pic for you all. Hope everyone's weekend has been great!

WP_20150528_18_21_14_Pro__highres_zpsitk

Sweet setup. What's the new tank your getting?

Thank you! Aqua Reef Mini 120. Picture of the set up is a few posts above this one :)

I saw the pic but never saw that style setup before. Looks awsome.

Lmao just saw your location :)

It's a great set up, looks really good in person :D I'm lost. Why is that funny?

Location explained why I never have seen that setup before

Makes sense now :lol: It's AquaOne brand, don't see many set ups with those tanks outside UK and Aus.

Yeah, AquaOne is very much a UK brand which is why we get a lot of their stuff here in Aus. This new tank combo on the other hand is so new they have no product listing in their catalogs or websites.

Yeah, AquaOne is very much a UK brand which is why we get a lot of their stuff here in Aus. This new tank combo on the other hand is so new they have no product listing in their catalogs or websites.

True that! Tanks were designed about a year ago, just took ages to release them according to my LFS, think they just suck at updating their website.

Archived