Top Shelf Aquatics

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

Amazing tank, love the star and xenia :)

your colours are great in there.

Thank you very much, the star is a little trooper, keeps the sand nice and clean.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shrimp can be mean, its good you could adjust his corrupted shrimpy thinking. Kinda funny with their itty bitty baby claws they can be so destructive and violent lol

Shrimp can be mean, its good you could adjust his corrupted shrimpy thinking. Kinda funny with their itty bitty baby claws they can be so destructive and violent lol

He's learning well. Ha I know hey, the claws are tiny! Largest of the Hell's Fire anemones went for a wander tonight.. I'm hoping it doesn't run into any other tank members.. Man this thing has grown though. Was not expecting it to move anywhere, had been in the same spot since I placed it in the tank until now.

WP_20150309_02_20_29_Pro_zpssa6wmbni.jpg

Soooo.. Apparently I didn't need to worry about the anemone being the bully, found it this morning absolutely shredded. No idea what the hell happened, I thought it may have wandered into the filter, but there were no parts so to speak in the filter chamber, just heaps of tentacles and the body all over the sand.. Either this is a very elaborate way of splitting, or something really didn't approve of this thing wandering around..

Its either shrimps or the crabs.

One of those are guilty do you have a pic?

I'm going with crab. No shrimp in other tank. I'll try and get a picture of the.. pieces when lights are on tomorrow. The tube was still moving, albeit slowly, hopefully it isn't gone for good. I still have two smaller nems that attached to the rock work so not a total loss, but this one was starting to colour up and turn green.

Also, WTH was up with Carol in The Walking Dead?! Choose the cookies kid. Choose the cookies..

Its time for COWLR Crabs Only With Live Rock. Or just a nice trip to the ocean. I have never watched the walking dead, what happened?

Its time for COWLR Crabs Only With Live Rock. Or just a nice trip to the ocean. I have never watched the walking dead, what happened?

Hell no are they getting their own tank! They can be taken to the ocean and become lunch for the much larger native crabs.. Oh I can't be giving away spoilers.

Tuxedo Urchin strikes again. It bulldozed my zoa rock and it fell onto my long tentacle plate and chopped quite a lot of tentacles off in the process :( . The body isn't damaged fortunately. Anyone know if the plate will be ok? Kinda hating this urchin lately, it ate half of an SPS frag as well, flesh included, in an attempt to get at the coralline on the frag plug.

Well I got it as a free hitchhiker, haven't seem they for sale here. I wonder if anyone local would like it. Everyone seems to only use snails down here for CUC though. Some massive shrimp/urchin hate going on.

May be in a spare tank he would be great but they can chew through rock for a reason, and that is to access the algae no matter where, in a normal reef his destruction is spread across several meters so it won't be noticed unless there are lots of urchins.

Well I added a turbo snail to the display a few days ago, so will take the urchin out when it crawls onto a frag plug. Might finally start getting some decent coralline back on the rocks. The turbo snail sucks though. Spent most of yesterday above the water line just doing nothing. Are they all this lazy..?

Lol, some snails are nocturnal but I don't know if turbo snails are, I do know nerite snails stay at the water line all day and then cruise around the glass at night, I used to like watching them in the moonlight from my bed.

Lol, some snails are nocturnal but I don't know if turbo snails are, I do know nerite snails stay at the water line all day and then cruise around the glass at night, I used to like watching them in the moonlight from my bed.

I'm not sure about turbos either to be honest, they seemed fairly active at the store during the day though. I don't think my LFS has ever stocked nerites, they sound a lot more productive than the unmotivated turbo! It's determined to make me look at the turf algae forever.

I take it the star and pods don't want the wall algae

Pods are still chipping away at it, although the pep shrimp has started hunting them down so population is declining a bit. After losing both scutus I've just noticed a slight increase of algae on the rocks. Not a huge amount but enough to be annoying..

Might want to get more cultures growing of these algae eating pods, they will be priceless additions to your tanks

I put a few in the other tank where there aren't any predators, will see how they go breeding in there. I quite like the ones I've ended up with, I'm seeing so many threads of people losing zoas to amphipods, these guys are constantly on my zoa frags but only eat algae, haven't lost a single polyp.

Think it's time to get rid of the meat coral.. It's getting a bit too big now, around 7-8 inches fully extended. I've tried moving it a few inches away from where it usually sits but it won't be long before it needs more room again. If anyone is after a fast growing coral.. Just get one of these and feed them a lot lol.

When you think about it the actual number of people having amphipods in the tanks and actual issues from them its pretty small amount of bad ones. Yet most people won't obtain herbivorous amphipods normally either, most are carnivores to omnivores in our tanks. Funny how some reefers can't get anything to grow after many tries and you go first time and it ends up being quite easy for you :)

You can understand why though, those things look alien, with all the horror stories and no effective way to tell apart the good from the bad, except for missing polyps. Amphipods are a gamble.

Honestly I just attribute it to the way I feed the corals. They're all target fed directly onto their mouths with pumps off, makes sure there is no waste blowing round the tank. They get fed 2-3 times a week. Mysis, squid, lobster eggs and clam. If you feed them well.. They grow. I want to get rid of the meat, trachy and gonis and get another long tentacle plate, or two. Golden hammer coral would be nice as well. SPS are cool, but not really patient enough to watch them grow out..

What are peoples thoughts on a euphyllia and plate tank?

Talking about missing polyps did you ever get the crab out?

That's a good method, same way I feed aiptasia lol except no pump in the first place to turn off. Maybe you could open up Tom's coral shack, and make bank off corals.

An euphyllia and plate coral tank sounds good to me

Talking about missing polyps did you ever get the crab out?

That's a good method, same way I feed aiptasia lol except no pump in the first place to turn off. Maybe you could open up Tom's coral shack, and make bank off corals.

An euphyllia and plate coral tank sounds good to me

I got one out! Wasn't the largest nor most evil but still, it's a win. I think the other one realised what's happening, haven't seen it in a while.. Lol not having pumps always helps. I've thought about it, but people don't pay too much for corals down here, especially if they aren't from a store. I'd end up losing money, unless I was selling SPS.

The ones I got aren't too bad, I've had to double my dosing to keep my levels stable and they have been growing well. I think I am just more of a fan of LPS. The gonis, chalice and brain corals have all been sold, and hopefully the meat coral is also sold soon.

Time so start picking the next coral to replace them all. I think a pink long tentacle plate would be cool next to the current one.

Archived