Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

Sorry to hear the snail is dead, I know dead snails have to be one of the most vile smells I've ever encountered. Could the crab be some sort of calcinus species?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only hermits I like are the larger species and having only one or two of them so that if (more like when) they go rogue they are easy to remove. In my experience, any hermit tends to turn to nomming on snails even with heavy feeding. :/

I like my nassarius more. I think I've just convinced myself I need to buy something for the tank to make myself feel better about my favourite snails dying haha.

Sorry to hear the snail is dead, I know dead snails have to be one of the most vile smells I've ever encountered. Could the crab be some sort of calcinus species?

Thanks man. He's currently quadruple bagged and 'chilling' in the freezer. See what I did there? Just want to make sure it actually is dead.. My nose is telling me it is though. Have no idea, I just know they look the same as blue legged hermits. Only yellow bands. They're only like $5, will get one for the other tank next time LFS gets them. Pics will be a coming.

Sad to hear about the Scutus. They are very cool.

For an 18g, 2 or 3 1" hermits should do fine if nutrients are kept in check. Most will feed on a number of different algae and they are especially useful for the tuff, stringy stuff that snails can't handle.

I like snails that hermits don't have any interest in for their shells like collonistas, stomatellas and small 1/2" strombus species. I have found that Asterina and Trochus nearly always end up as hermit lunch, sooner or later, even with plenty of empty shells around. My suspicion is that hermits have a preference for the stong shells of live snails over older, weaker shells, since they would offer better protection from predators such as stingrays and such.

Sad to hear about the Scutus. They are very cool.

For an 18g, 2 or 3 1" hermits should do fine if nutrients are kept in check. Most will feed on a number of different algae and they are especially useful for the tuff, stringy stuff that snails can't handle.

I like snails that hermits don't have any interest in for their shells like collonistas, stomatellas and small 1/2" strombus species. I have found that Asterina and Trochus nearly always end up as hermit lunch, sooner or later, even with plenty of empty shells around. My suspicion is that hermits have a preference for the stong shells of live snails over older, weaker shells, since they would offer better protection from predators such as stingrays and such.

They will be missed. Although, tux urchin will be stoked no one is stealing all his food.

I'm not concerned about nutrients, just my nassarius snails. If itty bitty hermits play nice, I'm cool with getting some. Tank is well fed to support them. The only other snails my LFS has are giant trochus or very large stroms. They're cool, but not practical for a nano.

I like my nassarius more. I think I've just convinced myself I need to buy something for the tank to make myself feel better about my favourite snails dying haha.

Thanks man. He's currently quadruple bagged and 'chilling' in the freezer. See what I did there? Just want to make sure it actually is dead.. My nose is telling me it is though. Have no idea, I just know they look the same as blue legged hermits. Only yellow bands. They're only like $5, will get one for the other tank next time LFS gets them. Pics will be a coming.

I like the joke lol. live snail never smells, I made my first mistake with dead snail several years ago when I picked a dead Japanese trapdoor snail up and the body plopped in my hand, I washed my hands repeatedly with soap and water and the smell was still pungent on my fingers, I even tried isopropyl alcohol to clean it off, it was gross.

I like the joke lol. live snail never smells, I made my first mistake with dead snail several years ago when I picked a dead Japanese trapdoor snail up and the body plopped in my hand, I washed my hands repeatedly with soap and water and the smell was still pungent on my fingers, I even tried isopropyl alcohol to clean it off, it was gross.

Reminds me of fragging xenia.. that smell lasts for days.. urgh. No remaining snail smell thank god, just going to run some carbon and purigen now.

They look mighty nice :)

Thanks. Green monti is my favourite. Got an incredible deal on them. Going to have to do alot of rescaping next week to try and fit them lol

Hope you can fit it all, remember its going to grow

Doubtful I'll get all in display. Can throw a few in another tank/give some away to locals I suppose! I'm mainly interested in keeping the plating montis. Don't much care for the rest. The guy I got them from is a good salesman lol

Doubtful I'll get all in display. Can throw a few in another tank/give some away to locals I suppose! I'm mainly interested in keeping the plating montis. Don't much care for the rest. The guy I got them from is a good salesman lol

lol salesman sweet talked you to buy tons of frags :D I hope the montipora to grow well for you.

lol salesman sweet talked you to buy tons of frags :D I hope the montipora to grow well for you.

He's good like that, least it wasn't too expensive, he was clearing out a heap of frags at the time so I got a fairly sweet deal. Thanks, i'm hoping so too, the green will look great grown out.

Hey - thanks for shout out in nominations - Appreciate that! Those are some nice sps pieces Ya that green monti will look great!

No worries man, your tank definitely deserved it! How's things without that birdsnest colony??

Next two days off, time to get stuck into rescaping the existing set up to make room for frags.. I'm going to be hating life/updating this thread for the next few hours, stay tuned!

Just got confirmation, frags have been sent and should be arriving in the morning. This is the scape I ended up with. Will glue the hammer next to the frogspawn tomorrow and will mount most frags to the rocks it is currently sitting on. Thoughts?

WP_20150302_17_09_35_Pro_zpswfoqtync.jpg

And I know mushrooms are boring but this blue is so cool!! :D

wp_ss_20150302_0001_zps5umupfar.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Life is good without the bird! Did some rescaping myself. That blue mushroom is classic ! Lotta nice big pieces you have?

Life is good without the bird! Did some rescaping myself. That blue mushroom is classic ! Lotta nice big pieces you have

Nice work. I like the rescape you've done! Thanks :)

Things are getting crowded in there, you may need a whole other tank by the time all the small frags turn big.

Oh I will need one! Lol. Trying to rehome some of my larger LPS, bloody Facebook keeps making me miss peoples messages!

Frags are in! Only kept 8 out of 14, giving the others to a local guy to grow out in his SPS system. After acclimating and getting glue all over myself, I'm glad that's over lol. Polyps have already started opening on some of them, but this piece is the only one will them all out. Has some really pretty light blue tips on the end of the polyps. Will put more pics up once they've all settled in.

WP_20150303_13_48_12_Pro_zpsurz8k9jj.jpg

Thanks, surprising given this is my first venture into SW. I honestly wasn't expecting things to open that quickly. It is an urchin!! Little blue tuxedo. Looks like he's wanting to grab some new decoration, has not left the red and green monti alone since I put them in!!

Don't think I'll be doing much else to the tank at this point, unless of course I manage to sell some of the larger LPS pieces :P

Going to try out an MP10 for a bit more flow from a mate and see how it goes, no more bulky wave maker!

You're doing something right :) lots of flow is good for some corals, be careful though because some can be torn apart from a stronger current with ease

You're doing something right :) lots of flow is good for some corals, be careful though because some can be torn apart from a stronger current with ease

Wish I knew what it was! Very true, wondering how they'll go with it, at least they're adjustable so that's gonna be convenient.

I've changed my feelings towards my pep shrimp too.. Had been having problems with it consistently stealing food from corals mouths, nipping polyps, harassing the clowns.. I've been target feeding it with a pipette for the last few weeks before I feed corals, it was a bit scared of the pipette to start with.. and now it's takes food from it every time, has started jumping onto the pipette when it comes near, gets the food and goes back to it's cave letting me feed the rest of the corals in peace.

It wasn't in it's normal spot today so I just went ahead and fed my plate, pep ran straight over to the plate to take the food, but as soon as it saw the pipette it actually didn't bother with the plate, just jumped straight onto the pipette and everything was happy and able to eat in peace. I was surprised considering the plate was right next to it but it swam over and put more effort into getting it from the pipette.. I think he's becoming a respectable member of the tank.. Finally..

Archived