Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

1 - Sure is a frogspawn. I've considered placing them together before but was warned it would end in disaster due to one being wall and one being branching. LFS has some really nice full grown SPS colonies for only like $40 - $50 so that could definitely be an option.

2 - Definitely need something for the rock work! I would ideally like to avoid GSP though, I love the carpet look but can't be bothered dealing with it overgrowing the spaces when the time comes. I've already got the Xenia for that lol. What do you reckon about covering the space with zoas? I'm growing a few frags out in a separate tank ATM and have been thinking either trade them at LFS or put into display?

3 - Have actually been waiting for my LFS to get a goby that I like, found a pistol shrimp hitchhiker a few weeks back and he looks like he needs a friend!

Thanks for the suggestions :) I like the sound of a Euphyllia cluster especially, just don't want any of them killing each other.

1. I've heard that any two hammers and frogspawns can coexist fine....just that the torches cannot. If you're worried, I'd suggest letting them "touch" for a day or two...if they look fine, then I think they should get along, if they attack each other, obviously don't do that. From my experience, any branching or wall hammer or frogspawn corals can cluster together fine, but I'd be safe, definitely take other people's advice seriously too. I'm just worried that if you try and add in SPS now, it will be brutally attacked by that frogspawn in the top left.

2. Zoa cover would be nice, but what I've had happen is that they just form a round colony and don't really spread out like GSP....if you can get several varieties, then creating little fuzzy domes would look nice. And pruning off sections of 4-5 polyps for trade or store credit sounds like a good idea. Aquaculturing is always good!

3. If you have a pistol shrimp hitchhiker, likely it lives in the rock on its own, and will view a normal little goby as either a threat, or as a brightly colored meal. Most shrimp gobies only partner with a few shrimp (e.g. Alpheus bellulus, A. randalli, etc.)...there is a chance that you picked up one that will play host to a goby, but if you got a solitary species, it may not...behave well to a goby. I'd love to see the shrimp though, if there is any chance.

And you're welcome for the advice. Currently tankless so this is the best that I can do :D

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I've heard that any two hammers and frogspawns can coexist fine....just that the torches cannot. If you're worried, I'd suggest letting them "touch" for a day or two...if they look fine, then I think they should get along, if they attack each other, obviously don't do that. From my experience, any branching or wall hammer or frogspawn corals can cluster together fine, but I'd be safe, definitely take other people's advice seriously too. I'm just worried that if you try and add in SPS now, it will be brutally attacked by that frogspawn in the top left.

2. Zoa cover would be nice, but what I've had happen is that they just form a round colony and don't really spread out like GSP....if you can get several varieties, then creating little fuzzy domes would look nice. And pruning off sections of 4-5 polyps for trade or store credit sounds like a good idea. Aquaculturing is always good!

3. If you have a pistol shrimp hitchhiker, likely it lives in the rock on its own, and will view a normal little goby as either a threat, or as a brightly colored meal. Most shrimp gobies only partner with a few shrimp (e.g. Alpheus bellulus, A. randalli, etc.)...there is a chance that you picked up one that will play host to a goby, but if you got a solitary species, it may not...behave well to a goby. I'd love to see the shrimp though, if there is any chance.

And you're welcome for the advice. Currently tankless so this is the best that I can do :D

1 - Ok, well if I can find some nice SPS I like I'll definitely be throwing those bad boys together, hopefully they play nice. I've honestly never seen a single LPS produce sweeper tentacles in my tank though no matter what time of night I check. I feed all corals every other day and usually quite a lot, so maybe they don't feel the need to murder other corals with their sweepers? Maybe? Wishful thinking?

2 - Hmm. I suppose if I got the GSP and just placed it on one of the pieces of live rock it should be fairly contained for a while.. And worst case scenario I could just trade in the piece of GSP covered LR for store credit.. Ok you've talked me into it!! :D

3 - Yeah he's a lone ranger. He is extremely shy and violent towards crabs in particular, but leaves everything else alone. Had some typical annoying hitchhiker crabs on the LR that he quickly decimated (I'd high 5 him if I could!). I've been trying for weeks to get a picture of him but he's like lightning. Angry, red, loud murderous lightning. Will keep trying though, I'd definitely like to get an ID to see if he's compatible. From what I've seen so far it's about half an inch long currently, and just a deep red colour. Not sure if that would help?

Well please feel free to keep up with the input! Would have never even thought to go with GSP until you mentioned it! Are you planning on getting a tank set up any time soon??

Her name is Jett, so naughty but so cute at the same time.

Thanks :) All suggestions are very much welcome!! To be honest, apart from the info on this site I had no idea what I was doing with this tank so go for it haha.

I feel your pain! Took these little guys months to settle on the meat, hopefully you'll also just wake up one day and bam.. They're happy in a new coral! :)

so true, cats usually seem fond of curtains lol my aunts cats will go chew on the couch though. How olds Jett? Only marine fish I own is some sculpin, he gives no trouble, he loves live blackworms.

so true, cats usually seem fond of curtains lol my aunts cats will go chew on the couch though. How olds Jett? Only marine fish I own is some sculpin, he gives no trouble, he loves live blackworms.

Only thing she's fond of is biting my hand a lot. I was a bit silly and trained her to play fight with me when she was a kitten and it sort of stuck.. At least she knows I'm the only one she is allowed to do it with! She's around 3 years old now and is an indoor kitty.

Sculpin?? I never could decide whether they were cool or creepy first time I saw a pic of one. Any pictures of it?

Nah, he's too small for my camera, only one centimetre long, he's still got some to grow I have a pic of the whole tank of his though. Indoors is the best place for a pet cat, outside cats are more destructive and wild usually.post-84861-0-32786200-1424315139_thumb.jpg

Nah, he's too small for my camera, only one centimetre long, he's still got some to grow I have a pic of the whole tank of his though. Indoors is the best place for a pet cat, outside cats are more destructive and wild usually.attachicon.gifIMG_20150105_203343.jpg

Can't see much of anything, but I'll believe that it's there lol. Oh for sure, local wildlife is getting destroyed enough without having to add my crazy cat to the mix!

What's the biggest live coral you've seen for sale? After all your so close to the reef.

I'd say some of the acros and chalices. The chalice frag I have was accidentally broken off the main piece by the dude at LFS, and that was the size of a dinner plate.. Poor guy. Some of the long tentacle plates as well are absolutely MASSIVE, the one in my tank was the smallest I could find at the time and that is around 7" in diameter fully inflated last time I measured.

Unfortunately Tassie isn't too much of a reef state just yet. Cold water for the most part, but there are some cool coloured cold water anemones I see a lot. And the little eels are fun. Give global warming a few more years though and I'm sure our waters will be handling tropical fish and corals in no time! Lol

That's some pretty big corals, I've not seen too many big corals in person, and I've seen no big ones for sale. We need to continue to look at benifits of global warming, with the melting of Antarctica is the arrival of new land, err concealed land. To think of the Eocene had a greenhouse period and it seemed to work well then, slightly less conservation is necessary for some tropical species since there is much more area for them to live in.

That's some pretty big corals, I've not seen too many big corals in person, and I've seen no big ones for sale. We need to continue to look at benifits of global warming, with the melting of Antarctica is the arrival of new land, err concealed land. To think of the Eocene had a greenhouse period and it seemed to work well then, slightly less conservation is necessary for some tropical species since there is much more area for them to live in.

Yeah some are quite large! Check the page I messaged you, lots of pictures :)

I don't exactly think global warming and the sheer amount of dredging that is planned from Australia's retarded government has much benefit, if any at all. Crown of thorns starfish populations are exploding within the Great Barrier Reef, theorized mostly to do with the sheer volume of off agriculture run off and pollutants, which cause larvae to have much higher survival rates to lack of predation in these areas. Coral cover being lost way faster than it can be replaced, by bleaching, increased temperatures and hungry little starfish. Tropical species have enough space. :P

I personally think efforts should be taken to protect the existing spaces, rather than encourage dead zones that were once previously thriving in order to make room for coal ports, which only forces species to move into areas previously uncharted at a much more accelerated rate than would be happening naturally.

Yeah some are quite large! Check the page I messaged you, lots of pictures :)

I don't exactly think global warming and the sheer amount of dredging that is planned from Australia's retarded government has much benefits, if any at all. Crown of thorns starfish populations are exploding within the Great Barrier Reef, theorized mostly to do with the sheer volume of off agriculture run off and pollutants, which cause larvae to have much higher survival rates to lack of predation in these areas. Coral cover being lost way faster than it can be replaced, by bleaching, increased temperatures and hungry little starfish. Tropical species have enough space. :P

I personally think efforts should be taken to protect the existing spaces, rather than encourage dead zones that were once previously thriving in order to make room for coal ports, which only forces species to move into areas previously uncharted at a much faster accelerated rate than would be happening naturally.

terrible I agree it is what man does to their environment, but what happens does not get stopped until something horrible happens that affects the destroyers of the environment. Big businesses many times value money more than the environment leaving issues like fertilizer runoff, oil pollution, CFCs let's keep them restricted, heavy metal pollution, acid rain, etcetera. If only these companies realized the short sightedness of their plans. Fortunately as revelation 11:18 brings out god will destroy those ruining the earth.

terrible I agree it is what man does to their environment, but what happens does not get stopped until something horrible happens that affects the destroyers of the environment. Big businesses many times value money more than the environment leaving issues like fertilizer runoff, oil pollution, CFCs let's keep them restricted, heavy metal pollution, acid rain, etcetera. If only these companies realized the short sightedness of their plans. Fortunately as revelation 11:18 brings out god will destroy those ruining the earth.

Oh believe me, just have a quick Google relating to anything regarding the Great Barrier Reef and the not so happy future planned for it.

Ridiculous thing is though the amount of money that is generated from tourism and injected into the Australian economy, NOT overseas, due to the Barrier Reef is astronomical. Coal and mining though? You have a few people getting rich from it, the Government taxes them WAAAAY below the corporate tax level, companies overseas make a fortune from our exports, therefore ensuing Australia as a whole benefits from virtually none of it's resources, and the select few just get fatter. Pockets..

Funny thing is that the coal ports were not even supported by BANKS. BANKS for goodness sake! They refused to invest based on "potentially hazardous environmental implications". If a bank doesn't want to invest in something based on their own moral code, you know it's a bad, bad idea. Lol.

Problem is the Prime Minister is actually so backward to think that coal is the future of the Earth and mining will lead the country to prosperity. Basically he just hates the environment. Hard.

Try viewing the page on a desktop. Maybe the mobile version doesn't want to play nice?

Decided to do up my quarantine tank. Not intending on any new arrivals any time soon so figured it could be used for frags for now!

Finally got some GSP frags today from LFS (shout out to TheElysia for the idea!) and another little mystery anemone. GSP are yet to open, but have only been in for an hour. Also bought a cheap 'rock rack' that fits frags perfectly.

Makeshift Frag Stand.

WP_20150221_17_29_39_Pro_zps9ftjugvg.jpg

Anemone settling into sand.

WP_20150221_17_31_41_Pro_zpsmptefbh6.jpg

Accidental Xenia frag.. Looks awful lol. Zoas, Cucumber and another mystery anemone.

WP_20150221_17_30_10_Pro_zpsvrcd7nr6.jpg

Looks nice :) I see a big cucumber in the third pic lol, also freaky anemone, how'd you find it was a nem?

Cucumber is pretty fun to watch. Guy at LFS told me, pulled this one out of the substrate.. Has no skeleton, inflates, moves by itself, EXTREMELY sticky tentacles. Loves to eat. If it is not a creepy nem I'd love to know other ideas!

I've never seen anything like it lol creepy nem is awesome. I would have first assumed it was an echinoderm of some sort lol, but the only thing that could slightly match in any plausible way of it were an echinoderm would be a sort of cucumber, bit its skin would feel sort of like Velcro that could stick to your skin, kinda prickly. Since its inflating its probably a nem like he said lol. Probably the coolest anemone ever.

righttirefire

If you're willing to frag and ship to oregon I'll take a head of xenia. Lol. Good luck. I'm planning on adding a small colony on an "island" of live rock to keep them from taking over

I've never seen anything like it lol creepy nem is awesome. I would have first assumed it was an echinoderm of some sort lol, but the only thing that could slightly match in any plausible way of it were an echinoderm would be a sort of cucumber, bit its skin would feel sort of like Velcro that could stick to your skin, kinda prickly. Since its inflating its probably a nem like he said lol. Probably the coolest anemone ever.

It's weird hey! After seeing it completely shrivel up today when it was being pulled from the tank it's definitely no echinoderm. Bit of a struggle removing it from my fingers too, it did not want to let go lol. They all have some cool orange and green fluorescence under blue LED. Will get another picture of it once it settles on a spot and opens fully. Really want to find an ID!

If you're willing to frag and ship to oregon I'll take a head of xenia. Lol. Good luck. I'm planning on adding a small colony on an "island" of live rock to keep them from taking over

Well.. If not for being on the other side of the globe.. You'd be welcome to all the xenia I could send haha. Don't think it'd make the trip I'm afraid!

Goniopora update! These guys are nearly out of room. They got big. Have been feeding reef roids every other day, no skimming, seems to be doing the job. Some of the polyps are now constantly touching the acanthophyllia and trachy, but so far none of them seem bothered, hasn't affected extension, health or feeding responses at all.

WP_20150223_15_57_51_Pro_zpssrcm3vgn.jpg

Better picture of the chalice. Colours are looking much better.

WP_20150223_15_58_00_Pro_zpsuh9mjvkx.jpg

Archived