ReefCleaners.org

Tom's Aussie Nano

Thomas898

Nice to see that the Goniopora are doing well. Not the easiest coral to keep happy.

I've honestly found them to be fairly easy so far, but I'm a ways away from the 6 month mark. As long as they'd fed constantly they seem quite happy. I've had the tux urchin knock frags directly on top of the green several times, damage heals extremely quickly too. Everything gets glued down now. Lol

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Goniopora can look fine for months then go downhill in a hurry. Hope these do well fo you long term.

Thanks :D I feel like we've somehow jinxed this now. Stay tuned.

GSP Frags have opened quite nicely, few extra polyps have started growing already!! Wondering what peoples thoughts are on where I should put these to grow out?? Current FTS to give you all an idea of the space :)

WP_20150224_16_35_36_Pro_zpsdlhif9ch.jpg

post-86000-0-43731600-1424766808_thumb.jpg

Maybe that space on the top of the rock, green star polyps can spread quite a bit

I'll give it a go. That rock is the easiest one to pull out without affecting the scape, probably the better option. Least if they spread too much won't really be a problem!

Anyone who keeps GSP, how fast these will grow under right conditions?

POS peppermint shrimp!!!!!!!!!! Just caught the little prick dragging my scutus shield snail along the sand and back to it's burrow, assuming to eat it.. Moved him to spare tank and shrimp is being rehomed as soon as I catch it.

Little scutus is not looking very good now, it's still alive but I'm not sure that will last long.. not sure how much damage the shrimp did before I found it. Guess this explains why my other one died :(

I hate peppermint shrimps. So much...

Hope he can heal up, if damage is only on the skin healing is likely, if any organs are damaged it may not survive to see tomorrow :( least your amphipods haven't tried killing tankmates

Hope he can heal up, if damage is only on the skin healing is likely, if any organs are damaged it may not survive to see tomorrow :( least your amphipods haven't tried killing tankmates

Just going to let him chill in the spare tank and see if he pulls through, although it's behaving the exact same way my last one did before it died. The shell is fully exposed and hasn't retracted at all. So bummed!! Can't buy these guys anywhere, so no replacement any time soon lol.

Funnily enough the amphipods have been surprisingly helpful to have in the tank, they mostly just sit on the zoas and eat the algae from the base, haven't damaged any polyps yet, hoping I ended up with friendly ones.

I hope you can get more somehow, how did you get the first two? I'm certain your amphipods aren't bad ones, bad ones can blow their cover pretty quickly. And don't get to high concentrations without blowing cover usually

I hope you can get more somehow, how did you get the first two? I'm certain your amphipods aren't bad ones, bad ones can blow their cover pretty quickly. And don't get to high concentrations without blowing cover usually

I got them as hitchhikers on my first few pieces of live rock. Best things for algae. And my LFS has no CUC stuff for around 2 weeks. So I'm not sure what to do there, things in the tank may get funky.

Your starfish and amphipods will be pretty efficient at algae removal, how many polychaetes do you have in there?

A lot. 6 bristle worms at least two inches long that I see regularly when feeding. No idea how many are in the sand.. As for fan worms.. too many to count!

A lot. 6 bristle worms at least two inches long that I see regularly when feeding. No idea how many are in the sand.. As for fan worms.. too many to count!

you are pretty much set with your cuc lol, your tank will be fine, sometimes I think people over crew their tanks to the point its no longer a cuc but just more pets

you are pretty much set with your cuc lol, your tank will be fine, sometimes I think people over crew their tanks to the point its no longer a cuc but just more pets

Really!? I see all the orders people get from places like Reef Cleaners and it makes my clean up crew look waaay understocked.. lol

Really!? I see all the orders people get from places like Reef Cleaners and it makes my clean up crew look waaay understocked.. lol

the whole purpose of them is to clean detritus by eating it and eat algae, the functionality is limited by tank space and amount of corals and fish kept. Too much and the cuc is nothing more than more pretty species in the tank. Your tank is a perfect example of this fact, amphipods, polychaetes 2 snails and a starfish is obviously all that was necessary in your tank. Always remember cuc members also produce waste and that waste goes somewhere, in the filter and protein skimmer, refugium (if you have one), and in the algae.

The only bought 'CUC' that I have is a small blue-legged hermit crab. The rest are natural 'homegrowns' that came in on the live rock such as small limpets, tiny collunista snails, bistleworms, mysid shrimp, micro brittlestars and a few varieties of 'pods'.

Anemone settling into sand.

WP_20150221_17_31_41_Pro_zpsmptefbh6.jpg

and another mystery anemone.

I believe your "mystery nem" could be a Hell Fire Nem. Look it up. Carnivorous likes to eat fish.

The only bought 'CUC' that I have is a small blue-legged hermit crab. The rest are natural 'homegrowns' that came in on the live rock such as small limpets, tiny collunista snails, bistleworms, mysid shrimp, micro brittlestars and a few varieties of 'pods'.

Well this certainly changes my opinion. I've just been so used to seeing peoples ridiculous amount of snails and assumed that was what was required. Will just keep monitoring for changes, but doesn't sound like ill need to add a thing. thanks :) love blue legged hermits! Have only seen black and yellow ones at my LFS.

I believe your "mystery nem" could be a Hell Fire Nem. Look it up. Carnivorous likes to eat fish.

That is definitely the one! Have 4 of these little beasts now. They share a tank only with zoa and xenia, so no fish are in danger ;)

Great looking tank!

Well this certainly changes my opinion. I've just been so used to seeing peoples ridiculous amount of snails and assumed that was what was required. Will just keep monitoring for changes, but doesn't sound like ill need to add a thing. thanks :) love blue legged hermits! Have only seen black and

From experience, I'd rather go on the light side when it comes to CUC in a nano and smaller species of hermit and snails.

The effects of a few larger snails passing away in a small volume of water...ummm, not so good :(

Well this certainly changes my opinion. I've just been so used to seeing peoples ridiculous amount of snails and assumed that was what was required. Will just keep monitoring for changes, but doesn't sound like ill need to add a thing. thanks :) love blue legged hermits! Have only seen black and yellow ones at my LFS.

That is definitely the one! Have 4 of these little beasts now. They share a tank only with zoa and xenia, so no fish are in danger ;)

I should have it setup the week of the 23rd in March, I'm waiting for spring break to re-finish the floor which is the week of the 16th. I can't wait to get it going!! Right now I'm ordering everything slowly for it.

jedimasterben

From experience, I'd rather go on the light side when it comes to CUC in a nano and smaller species of hermit and snails.

The effects of a few larger snails passing away in a small volume of water...ummm, not so good :(

+1 stick to smaller species. I always like to have larger CUC crews in general but only if you have the filtration to back them up.

Definitely, though, be as diverse as possible with the CUC, get as many species as you can!

are they black and yellow like a yellow jacket wasp?

You say that as I'm retching at the stench of pulling a dead snail from my tank.. Lol. Scutus is no more!! :(. Sad panda.

Less definitely is more when it comes to a CUC it seems.

I should have it setup the week of the 23rd in March, I'm waiting for spring break to re-finish the floor which is the week of the 16th. I can't wait to get it going!! Right now I'm ordering everything slowly for it.

So close! That's going to be awesome having it all ready to go. Will be following your build. Post many pictures!

+1 stick to smaller species. I always like to have larger CUC crews in general but only if you have the filtration to back them up.

Definitely, though, be as diverse as possible with the CUC, get as many species as you can!

I'm thinking of just getting one little hermit crab to replace the two scutus I've lost. It's either that or a giant trochus lol. Would a little hermit play nice with nassarius if I gave it spare shells?

are they black and yellow like a yellow jacket wasp?

Exactly like that. And very small too.

jedimasterben

I'm thinking of just getting one little hermit crab to replace the two scutus I've lost. It's either that or a giant trochus lol. Would a little hermit play nice with nassarius if I gave it spare shells?

The only hermits I like are the larger species and having only one or two of them so that if (more like when) they go rogue they are easy to remove. In my experience, any hermit tends to turn to nomming on snails even with heavy feeding. :/

Archived