Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

WOW! this is an unreal tank. What macro lens did you get for your iPhone?

Thanks so much! :flower:

The macro lens is part of a 3-in-1 kit for the iPhone 5. Its this one:

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Angle-Macro-Apple-iPhone/dp/B009UQR32I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437149598&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+5+macro+lens&pebp=1437149611202&perid=17TW2VSJHD6R99S4N4EN

Alright, its photo time! I've got lots of photos for you guys! :happydance:

Let's start with the basic FTS from today 7/16/15.

IMG_7884.jpg

And a few fun angled shots.

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

Decided to try out my fish eye iPhone lens

IMG_7999.jpg

And a few more fun shots of the whole tank

IMG_8006.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

Left side

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

Center

IMG_7802.jpg

Right side

IMG_7806.jpg

Alright and now for some coral shots.

Purple sea rod. This is my favorite of the new gorgonians.

IMG_7754.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

New palys from Eddie

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

SPS land. You can see the new ORA German blue digitata from Eddie to the left of the slimer. Also, the teal tipped acro in the back and the small purple acro frag to the right are from Eddie. Off to the far left is a mini colony of tricolor that Eddie sent me, but unfortunately, it got stressed during shipping and started RTN'ing. Luckily it has stopped and about a third of the colony is alive with good color and PE. I'm letting it recover for a bit longer and then I'll frag off dead areas.

IMG_7839.jpg

More of SPS land. You can also see the nice chunky piece of poccilapora from Eddie. It also got stressed during shipping and has some dead areas, but seems to be recovering. Also, you can see a frag of the blue digi that broke off during shipping.

IMG_7852.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

IMG_7917.jpg

I also decided to play around with the cheap macro lens for my iPhone.

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg

Pink and Golds and Whammin' Watermelons from Eddie

IMG_7958.jpg

Moving these to the new page :)

• Like 4

Thanks, Gena! I'm glad you all are loving the gorgonians as much as I am. I was worried I might have been a little overzealous when they arrived because there were so many and I didn't have a lot of space, but I think they really worked to finish off the tank. I think its the perfect amount of full/crowded in there for me!

That's a fox coral. They're actually supposed to be really easy and I believe they're kind of considered an "old school" coral. They used to be popular, but lately you don't see them much. They have a small skeleton like an elegance and then all those folds puff out of it. Its like a white/cream color that takes on a pastel pink hint under the reef lights. I really like it and so far its been super easy and hardy.

I love it...those ruffles :wub:. Gonna have to look for a pink one :).

Says peaceful and low to moderate lighting...sounds perfect!

• Like 2

Sorry, I have to say again how lovely this is!

Where did you get your tank? Is it a $1/gallon sale one? How do you like the quality of it?

• Like 2

I love it...those ruffles :wub:. Gonna have to look for a pink one :).

Says peaceful and low to moderate lighting...sounds perfect!

I think they mostly come in the white/cream color that I have or a pastel green. Might be a pink one out there though! Yeah, they seem to be one of the easiest LPS corals. The only touchy thing is that their skeleton isn't very thick, so its very fragile. You just have to be careful shipping and then handling them. Other than that its been a super easy coral and doesn't seem to have any feeder tentacles or stinging abilities, so I can put other corals nearby.

• Like 2

I think they mostly come in the white/cream color that I have or a pastel green. Might be a pink one out there though! Yeah, they seem to be one of the easiest LPS corals. The only touchy thing is that their skeleton isn't very thick, so its very fragile. You just have to be careful shipping and then handling them. Other than that its been a super easy coral and doesn't seem to have any feeder tentacles or stinging abilities, so I can put other corals nearby.

Sounds great. I google imaged it and found some pink and some white and some green. Maybe it has more to do with lighting though.
  • Like 3

Sorry, I have to say again how lovely this is!

Where did you get your tank? Is it a $1/gallon sale one? How do you like the quality of it?

Thank you again! Seriously too sweet! You guys have all made my morning today! What a good Friday! :)

Yep, its a 40B from the $1/gallon sale at Petco. The current brand Petco sells (what this is) is Tetra (made by Marineland) and I really like the quality. I've had quite a few of these tanks in different sizes and have never had an issue. They're nothing fancy, but they hold up well and they're affordable, which is important to me since I'm on a student budget. No custom tanks for me right now. I actually really like the look of the 40B because it has a nice thick rim that I think makes it look higher quality.

Sounds great. I googled imaged it and found some pink and some white and some green. Maybe it has more to do with lighting though.

Yeah I think the pink is what happens to cream color under a lot of reef lighting. For example, that knobby sea finger gorg to the left of squammy clammy is pure cream color, but it gets a pink tint to it too. Although, I could see there being a strain that's the shade of pink of xenia.

• Like 2

One last question!! (sorry, it's a very slow day today at work)

What kind of rockwork do the lionfish like? Like wrasses sleep in sand, and some fish (like my firefish) like to sleep in holes. Considering one for when I upgrade!

• Like 1

One last question!! (sorry, it's a very slow day today at work)

What kind of rockwork do the lionfish like? Like wrasses sleep in sand, and some fish (like my firefish) like to sleep in holes. Considering one for when I upgrade!

No worries! Its Friday so I'm having a leisurely breakfast at my desk at work right now while I NR :lol:

Lionfish like to have caves or overhangs available to hide in/under. You have to keep in mind though, that even the little ones are pretty big once you figure in their elaborate fins, so they don't disappear into the tiny wholes in live rock the way gobies, wrasses, and blennies do. So porous live rock really isn't that important, you just have to build a scape that has enough overhangs or larger caves for them to feel safe. The more places they have to hide, the fast they'll settle in a come out more because they feel safe and comfortable. Mine really love the bonsai pillar because the top rock overhangs the base and they just love to hang upside down under the overhang. A lot of the time, all 3 of them are upside down under there like bats. They're totally settled in now though, and aren't scared of me so they mostly just sleep and chill under the overhang, but come out and about a lot too.

Definitely consider a lion! I always wanted one, but thought they were too difficult or wouldn't work in a reef and just never seriously considered one. So glad I decided to give them a try!

WowWEEEE! Your tank looks amazing with all of those new gorgs. Congrats!

Thank you, Eric! The gorgs really completed the look :) I haven't seen you around much lately! Was just wondering if all was well with your tank last night while I was catching up on everyone's threads. Life been busy?

No worries! Its Friday so I'm having a leisurely breakfast at my desk at work right now while I NR :lol:

Lionfish like to have caves or overhangs available to hide in/under. You have to keep in mind though, that even the little ones are pretty big once you figure in their elaborate fins, so they don't disappear into the tiny wholes in live rock the way gobies, wrasses, and blennies do. So porous live rock really isn't that important, you just have to build a scape that has enough overhangs or larger caves for them to feel safe. The more places they have to hide, the fast they'll settle in a come out more because they feel safe and comfortable. Mine really love the bonsai pillar because the top rock overhangs the base and they just love to hang upside down under the overhang. A lot of the time, all 3 of them are upside down under there like bats. They're totally settled in now though, and aren't scared of me so they mostly just sleep and chill under the overhang, but come out and about a lot too.

Definitely consider a lion! I always wanted one, but thought they were too difficult or wouldn't work in a reef and just never seriously considered one. So glad I decided to give them a try!

Thank you, Eric! The gorgs really completed the look :) I haven't seen you around much lately! Was just wondering if all was well with your tank last night while I was catching up on everyone's threads. Life been busy?

Thanks for the tips! I really like Hey's scape, but that wouldn't work for lions then. Something to think about!

Thanks for the tips! I really like Hey's scape, but that wouldn't work for lions then. Something to think about!

Hey's scape could work for lions. I think mine would really love sitting on and hanging from those tonga branch pieces. There's probably some overhangs back behind the scape too if they wanted to hide.

• Like 1

Your tank is amazing! Everytime I see your tank I am more and more tempted to order some gorgonians lol. Do you have a specific procedure for feeding them?

• Like 1

No words Felicia. Just none.

Thanks, Annette :)

Your tank is amazing! Everytime I see your tank I am more and more tempted to order some gorgonians lol. Do you have a specific procedure for feeding them?

Thank you so much! Gorgonians are inexpensive and easy, so you should definitely get some! These are all photosynthetic, so I don't do anything specific to feed them. I'm sure they get some food bits when I feed the fish and then I auto dose some AcroPower twice a week for all the corals, so I bet they eat some of that.

:o:o:wub:

WOW this tank is so amazing! I LOVE the new gorgs! They really add so much for the tank

This is simply amazing Felicia!

Thanks, Christina! I figured you'd like the gorgs! I finally caved and placed an order since I knew I could get 6 different varieties all at once. Definitely the icing on the cake for this tank. Glad you like it!

Btw, you gave me betta fever....see below :lol:

Tank is looking amazing Felicia!

Thanks so much! :flower:

Few small updates!

1. Got a new fish! Since I rehomed my blenny, I figured I could get one more. Wasn't sure if I would but then my copepod population exploded with nothing to eat them and they are ALL OVER my glass. There are so many of them that they are annoying me because I like my glass to look all clean and spotless...not covered in pods all the time (even during the day). So I figured I should get a fish to eat pods. Quite a few constraints though: must be big enough for the lions not to eat, much be peaceful and not pick on the lions, must not nibble clams, must fit in a 40B. I figured basically my best option was a good sized wrasse. Fairy wrasses are the most peaceful of the bigger wrasses that still work in a 40B and I've always wanted a red head solon fairy wrasse, so that's what I got. Went to my local store and picked up a nice big one. He's definitely lionfish proof! Here he is in the bag: IMG_8029.jpg
  2. While I was at my local store, I got sucked into admiring the really nice bettas they had in stock. Christina got me itching for another one with her beautiful new white one, and then there were so many beautiful ones! I ended up making an impulse buy and picking up a mustard gas betta and a Aqueon Evolve 2 tank. Introducing Berkeley the betta (because he's UC Berkeley colors) and his new tank. Don't worry, I used water and the filter sponge from my current FW tank so that I wouldn't have a cycle in the brand new tank. :)FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_8071.jpg IMG_8059.jpg
  3. The antennata is finally eating frozen like a champ! She's a fan of PE mysis and ate 3 whole frozen shrimp during the last feeding. Now I just need to convert Draco. He's being stubborn. I'm currently starving him out. Not letting his adorable begging ways convince me to give in :lol: Luckily lions can go several weeks without eating without any harm, but they sure do beg like they're dying of starvation.

Does anyone have an Evolve 2? I got the tank today for the betta and I'm having a big issue with it. I set it up and everything was running great. A couple hours later the temperature in the tank hits 86F! :eek: I'm freaking out because I just got this brand new expensive betta, but he seems to be just fine and I've been working on slowly lowering the temp. I had one of those tiny preset heaters in there, so I assumed it malfunctioned. Took it out of the tank but its been hours and I can't get the temp below 84. So the issue can't be the heater because its probably like 68 in my apartment, so the water should cool. Its only 2 gallons! So now I'm thinking the heat must be coming from the little return pump. I think its malfunctioning. I even have an ice pack floating in the tank now and its staying at 84. Anyone have any issue with this? I'm going to call Aqueon tomorrow and try to get a replacement pump. I'm going to have to shut it off overnight. What a giant pain!

• Like 5

YES!!! Got Draco to take some frozen tonight!

He was tentative about it, but he took a few PE mysis. The antennata was the same way, where she was kind of tentative but then after a few feedings of trying the frozen she's going after frozen shrimp like a champ. Draco will probably be fully converted to frozen in the next few days. PE mysis is magical. Works for seahorses and apparently also works for lionfish!

• Like 3

What a gorgeous betta! Cute name too!

I went to my LFS down the street and he had two fox corals but they were large. So I asked him to pick me up a small frag of one next week if he can. He's going to look for me :). I'm so glad I saw yours. What a pretty coral!!!! And I love how easy going the coral sounds to be. It should be perfect!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Does anyone have an Evolve 2? I got the tank today for the betta and I'm having a big issue with it. I set it up and everything was running great. A couple hours later the temperature in the tank hits 86F! :eek: I'm freaking out because I just got this brand new expensive betta, but he seems to be just fine and I've been working on slowly lowering the temp. I had one of those tiny preset heaters in there, so I assumed it malfunctioned. Took it out of the tank but its been hours and I can't get the temp below 84. So the issue can't be the heater because its probably like 68 in my apartment, so the water should cool. Its only 2 gallons! So now I'm thinking the heat must be coming from the little return pump. I think its malfunctioning. I even have an ice pack floating in the tank now and its staying at 84. Anyone have any issue with this? I'm going to call Aqueon tomorrow and try to get a replacement pump. I'm going to have to shut it off overnight. What a giant pain!

What is the wattage of the pump? To get from ~68F to ~83F it takes approximately 12 watts of heat.

• Like 1

Wow, just wow. Berkey is amazing, I need to catch up on the new Betta colors and morphs.

And the reef tank makes me want to keep looking. My head starts nodding looking at my tank which is very high energy, I can only imagine how relaxing your soft fringe tank is. Even if it does have SPS.

• Like 2