Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My little POTO- SPS heavy mixed reef

Slowtwitch

My son was remembering a trip we took to Newport KY a couple summers ago and wondered if we could put this in my tank. Yes that is his hand in the bottom right of the pic. :blink:

16674936885_68bf86e222_s.jpgIMG_1449 by docsreef, on Flickr

LOL pleased my son likes nemo! this is a monster crab.

• Like 1

2015-03-17%2009.31.42_zpszqfws1me.jpg

Acan frags off the sand and mounted on the rock.

2015-03-17%2011.38.08_zpsktg5jzor.jpg

Happy Duncan

2015-03-17%2011.39.25_zps7b8hl9nl.jpg

Love this grouping. :wub:

2015-03-17%2011.39.37_zpsbmznv80u.jpg

Such a common variety, but always a cheerful site

• Like 4

Actually, my radioactive dragon eyes are still some of my favorites even with all the fancy ones I've gotten. It's kind of like clown fish - just because they are common doesn't mean they aren't wonderful :)

• Like 4

Second day of a three day trip away from the tank. Getting itchy to know what's going on. Just before I left both my mantis and emerald crab molted. Crab doubled in size! Guess he's eating well.

• Like 2

Love the latest FTS!!!! Coral placement looks perfect :wub:.

Thanks! It's coming along. Planning a move into a larger tank in a month or two, but planning the same basic layout.

• Like 3

Woke up this morning to two inches of snow on the ground. WTF? This winter will not end!

In tank news, everything is growing and seems quite happy. One of my Acan frags has 5 new heads forming. Zoas are popping out new polyps left and right. So happy with how things are coming along. Hope it continues until the new tank arrives.

• Like 2

Two inches of snow!? Where do you live slow? Great to hear your tank is doing well, will be watchin for some new pictures soon!

Michigan. Not unheard of to have snow showers in April and May. On the plus side they rarely last. This mornings snow is already gone.
  • Like 1

I actually live in Michigan also but didn't see 2 inches just some flurries lol. Glad to hear there is some other nano reefers here in Michigan.

Where are you? I'm not too far from Port Huron. We got lake effect.

Where are you? I'm not too far from Port Huron. We got lake effect.

In Ada, by Grand Rapids. That makes sense why you got snow and I didn't really. Those corals I'm getting for my tank tomorrow are actually from a guy in Sterling Heights. Found him on FB from a friend he has a site called ClassyCorals I'll know in the next couple days how the corals are but stuff looks really legit and the guy seems pretty cool. Maybe check it out since he's over your way.

I've gotten a few things from Rich. He has some nice frags. Just make sure you dip them. His frag tanks were loaded with algae when I was at his place and my frag plugs bloomed into a green mess once they were in my tank.

So I've been trying to train my mantis and emerald crab to take their dinners from my hand. So far it's working pretty well. Both will come out of hiding when the feeding forceps come out. Today my emerald took his piece of nori like normal but then as I was feeding the acans their mysis, he came back out and starting digging in the acan's mouths and pulling out the shrimps! Time for him to go or do I just need to feed him more nori?

Sorry but it doesn't look good. That was the beginning of the end for my emerald. He just got worse and worse until he was tearing the acans apart to rip the food out of their throats :(

Sorry but it doesn't look good. That was the beginning of the end for my emerald. He just got worse and worse until he was tearing the acans apart to rip the food out of their throats :(

That's what I was afraid of. Luckily I have a tank transfer happening soon so I'll be taking apart the rock work. Should make it easier to catch the bastard. Too bad too. I was really liking him.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I felt exactly the same way. I loved watching him, at least when he wasn't pillaging the corals.

I got mine with a simple crab catcher made out of an empty water bottle. I posted some pictures in my 10g thread about a month ago. Maybe I just got lucky, but he was trapped about 30 minutes after I set it up :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I felt exactly the same way. I loved watching him, at least when he wasn't pillaging the corals.

I got mine with a simple crab catcher made out of an empty water bottle. I posted some pictures in my 10g thread about a month ago. Maybe I just got lucky, but he was trapped about 30 minutes after I set it up :)

I don't think it will be that hard to catch him. Like I said, new tank transfer should happen real soon. Within a week anyways. My LFS will be glad to have him.

I had the same issue in my last tank with a skunk cleaner shrimp tearing apart acans for food. That was the end of that little guy. So far no issues with the cleaner in the current tank. And I really hope it doesn't become one this time either, the cleaner is fun to watch in the tank. As long as your not watchin him destroy your $100 corals lol.

• Like 1

Been feeding the crab a piece of nori before the corals get fed and so far have had no further issues with him stealing food. Fingers crossed this continues.

Have been looking for a nice maxi-mini carpet nem for awhile. Saw one in the salt critters sale this past weekend and decided to give it a try. The description said about two inches which I figured was a decent starting size for the price. The nem arrived today and is easily 5 inches across! I knew they grew to this size but wasn't expecting that today. Had hoped to let it grow a few months then split it and put a piece in my new tank. Anyone have experience splitting these guys? Want to clone it before it attaches in the rock work. YouTube makes it look way too easy. Can it be?

So this little guy appeared last night. First time I've seen him since the tank was set up. Amazed at how things can hide in such a small space for 5 months without being noticed. Hope he comes out more now.

2015-04-08%2015.08.07_zpsszezk1dk.jpg

• Like 2