Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Well, I challenged myself to use NYOS again. And I just finished with it. I did very small mixtures at a time, made about 6-7 batches and sucessfully used them all. I might have felt one of the disintegrate, but over-all I think it worked out. omgomgomg

• Like 5

Rapid fire questions?

Cube tanks lend themselves well to the rule of thirds, but that said, successful art is rarely done on a square canvas.

• Like 3
Elizabeth94

I vote bare bottom as well. I liked my special grade sand, but it started holding al kinds of crap. I siphoned it every week and it was amazing to see all the gunk that came out. My tank is doing much better without sand.

Still.. I think adding a piece of white acrylic to the bottom will make it look better, rather than being able to see that black foam that is under most tanks.

Like this.. (NOT my tank, even though I wish it was. Picture borrowed from Google)

01.jpg

• Like 3

I like the white bottom bare bottom, I also like the black sand. I think the most important thing is if you want the tank to look like it's a 10-15K tank or a 20-30K tank.

• Like 1

Not sure. It's going to be SPS and some LPS. Going to try to keep some acropora that I haven't had long term success with in my current tank.

I'm torn between doing something new to me like starting with dry rock. Or going with my proven recipe of uncured rock.

Torn between sand and bare bottom.

Torn between a branching scape or arches.

Elizabeth94

Goniopora progression

Holy Moly! :o

I loved my flower pot, but it got stung by a frogspawn and I couldn't save it.

Not sure. It's going to be SPS and some LPS. Going to try to keep some acropora that I haven't had long term success with in my current tank.

I'm torn between doing something new to me like starting with dry rock. Or going with my proven recipe of uncured rock.

Torn between sand and bare bottom.

Torn between a branching scape or arches.

Start with bare bottom. You can always add sand after, but pulling it out once it is in stinks. Unless you take out all of the corals and rock- you will never get all the sand out.

JavaJacketOC

Cube tanks. Ideas for aquascaping? Go!

Barebottom or no?

True Cube do a suspended, tiered rock-work structure...bare bottom = yes!

• Like 1

Holy Moly! :o

I loved my flower pot, but it got stung by a frogspawn and I couldn't save it.

Start with bare bottom. You can always add sand after, but pulling it out once it is in stinks. Unless you take out all of the corals and rock- you will never get all the sand out.

I have another goniopora, a short tentacle orangish rainbow one. Heard it was hard to keep alive. It's been with me over 6 months now I think. I'll have to look.

Elizabeth94

True Cube do a suspended, tiered rock-work structure...bare bottom = yes!

Wonderfull idea! I remember seeing that somewhere.. time to google it.

Go for everything you're scared to try in the real tank. Bare bottom, dry rock and bottled bacteria (pick interesting shapes and set them up in a suspended column?), etc :D

Next weekend sounds lovely.

Let me see if folks will be up for brunch or drinks and bowling.

I should probably mention I can't do Saturday of this weekend.. :(

• Like 1

Your setting up another tank? Will it be sumped? If not go BB.

Although it is not 100% sure that I am setting up a 2nd tank. Yes and yes.

you going bigger? yeah, they always go bigger... B)

Naw. I love my current tank. a 2nd stand alone system is being planned.

• Like 1