Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank is truly an inspiration. I am the assistant reefer at the house and decided to show my husband that I should be upgraded. :P I set up a 3 gallon at work on 02/12/2015 (happy tankiversary no sot long ago :wub: ). Its been a year and with many failed attempts I think I have a good system going.

I have a torch, monti and some magicians- they seem to be thriving- so I am really excited.

I have been contemplating a PAR light for a while but hadn't found good equipment for it- Im definitely looking for the target one you talked about in your post earlier.

Thanks for sharing

Sorry I haven't been posting lately, things got super busy at work - I had to work over the weekend and I've been working late almost every night this week. But I think I'm all caught up now, so I should be able to get some new pictures posted over the weekend.

Things are actually going pretty well right now, even for the zoas. I posted about dipping the top zoa rock a week or two ago, and I also put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the zoas on the bottom rock last week, while they were out of the water during a water change. The idea was to try to clear off any bacteria or fungus from them. It seems to have helped, they stayed kind of small after the treatment but were opening pretty consistently, and over the last couple days they've gotten a lot bigger.

I've also continued to slowly but steadily increase the lighting intensity, and I think they're responding favorably. I know the acans are loving life right now, they're getting huge :)

Here's a quick cell phone FTS. I'll try to get one with the big boy camera this weekend :D

24633563794_6cb85b4b5b_b.jpg2016-02-25 Cadlights 4g FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That is truly a gorgeous tank.

Is that a pipe organ on the lower left? I just got a small frag of the green variety from my LFS, and she said it was pretty easy-going and adaptable. Have you ever had to frag it due to size?

That is truly a gorgeous tank.

Is that a pipe organ on the lower left? I just got a small frag of the green variety from my LFS, and she said it was pretty easy-going and adaptable. Have you ever had to frag it due to size?

Thanks! It is a pipe organ. I've never had to frag it, as it has grown pretty slowly. But it has grown quite a bit in the past six months and it's probably going to get big enough to get fragged soon.

Here's a quick cell phone top down. I wanted to get a picture while the zoas were open :)

24637760003_feb2a22fb3_b.jpg2015-02-25 Cadlights 4g Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Hey teeny do you think green banded gobies would get along with a yasha goby in a 28 gal or do you think there would be issues with territory and what not?

I don't have any experience with yashas so I don't really know. GBG's are small but relatively fearless so they'd probably be OK but I don't know if anyone has tried it. If you do, let me know how it goes!

Gotta love those hiding fish :lol: I have one like that also and any time I can snap a pic......

Exactly! I felt like I was stalking my prey with the cell phone camera :)

Man I miss my Rusty goby. :(

I didn't even notice the zoas were unhappy in that pic. :D

Thanks Mark! Yeah, not much to see in the zoa department in that shot :) I really like Flash even though he's shy.
jedimasterben

I bet Flash got his name because if you look at him sideways he's gone in a flash!

my vote is that it's because he likes to wear a trench coat. ;)

Lovely tank!

Thanks! Looks like you are making nice progress on your biocube :)

I bet Flash got his name because if you look at him sideways he's gone in a flash!

my vote is that it's because he likes to wear a trench coat. ;)

:-)

:lol:

But yes, I named him Flash because pretty much all I see of him is a flash of red when he zips out to grab a passing food pellet :)

He's an acrobat, upside down and all! :D:D:D Awesome!

Yeah, that's the normal position for rusty gobies :)

This tank is killing it on social media right now! ;)

Thanks for sharing the pic on FB and Instagram, Dave! It got a lot of likes B)

This tank is truly an inspiration. I am the assistant reefer at the house and decided to show my husband that I should be upgraded. :P I set up a 3 gallon at work on 02/12/2015 (happy tankiversary no sot long ago :wub: ). Its been a year and with many failed attempts I think I have a good system going.

I have a torch, monti and some magicians- they seem to be thriving- so I am really excited.

I have been contemplating a PAR light for a while but hadn't found good equipment for it- Im definitely looking for the target one you talked about in your post earlier.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks! Your tanks look great, and I'm looking forward to seeing your updates. Let me know when you post pics of your 3g!

Love that last pic!

Wow, those are some FAT Acans :)

They seem to love the conditions in this tank. I'm actually feeding them a lot less than I used to just to try to slow them down :)

They seem to love the conditions in this tank. I'm actually feeding them a lot less than I used to just to try to slow them down :)

Nice to see, for sure. Since the tank is so small, I can see why you'd want to slow them down.

Nice to see, for sure. Since the tank is so small, I can see why you'd want to slow them down.

I've never fragged acans before, but I may have to try it soon. I guess that's a good problem to have :)

It's been a while since I posted coral updates, so here goes!

Still getting good PE on both torts. They've lost some of their deeper coloration but that's no surprise since my lights are still not really bright enough yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how they morph as the nutrients continue to go down and the lights continue to go up :)

25029422160_7390fbe1d8_b.jpgElectric Miyagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oregon Tort. You can see the grafted monti in the background. It's developed a lot of PE since coming into this tank and the green spots are just starting to come out.

24694431744_5e7e7ccb2b_b.jpgOregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This purple gorg is a frag that I took from the 10g tank. I'm glad to have it since the RFA seems to be bent on destroying the original...

24698294733_1db6a4e2e0_b.jpgPurple Gorgonian by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Stylo, or birdsnest, or whatever it is, it's hard to photograph :lol:

25029427790_ed579e6c4c_b.jpgStylo by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I got these ironman acans with the shipment from Cultivated Reef, when I got the torts. They're starting to regain their color but still don't look much like the picture on the website. I think it's coming along, though, I just have to be patient :)

25298820396_c3ce604776_b.jpgIronman Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

These are the little zoas I put on the tiny rock between the acans in the front left. I'm still waiting to see what they turn into when they grow up and get enough light.

24698292953_e87aecc73b_b.jpgAqua Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The hammer is doing great since I fragged it. The frag is already almost as big as it was before it was fragged.

25029442330_aa3756f60c_b.jpgHammer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And finally, my favorite, the blue acro :happy:

24694441474_fe0f19f3ae_b.jpgBlue Acan by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That blue sponge is super cool. Never knew there were ones like that, looks like a decent size too. Purple acans are really cool. I need to get some purple in my tank. Im still working on adding things, but I am stuck on what to add next. After getting rid of the elegance I have a nice open sandbed. Maybe some RFA's to put near the base of my rock would be nice.

That blue sponge is super cool. Never knew there were ones like that, looks like a decent size too. Purple acans are really cool. I need to get some purple in my tank. Im still working on adding things, but I am stuck on what to add next. After getting rid of the elegance I have a nice open sandbed. Maybe some RFA's to put near the base of my rock would be nice.

The blue sponge was a freebie from Zia when I got some SPS from him. It was about the size of a quarter, and has slowly grown out to it's current size, about three inches long.

Maybe some plate corals on your sandbed? I've never had a tank with enough space on the sand for a plate :D

Over the last couple days, the hammer has been working really hard to spin out a nice long stinger tentacle. Today he managed to reach down to the duncan and it was game on! :owned:

25095242960_01ce7177d1_b.jpgCoral Warfare by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Twenty minutes later, the duncan was a little shriveled, but the stinger tentacle is completely retracted and the hammer is all like "No, no, I didn't start anything, I would never mess with the duncan, no, no, not me, you're thinking of some other guy..." :ninja:

The hammer started another stinger tentacle. I got out the scissors and it's gone now :unsure:

I know this tank really isn't big enough for the hammer unless I want to continually frag it. But it looks so nice where it is now as long as it doesn't get too big, and I really like having the movement in the tank.

I don't mind the hammer and the duncan fighting it out, as it doesn't seem to bother either one to get stung other than some temporary shriveling on the duncan. But I do worry about the hammer going after the myagi tort, which is off to the side. So far it hasn't tried to do anything, but it's a little too close for comfort. So I'm thinkin about either moving the myagi over a little bit more to the left, or else switching the hammer and the duncan around so that the hammer is on the sand bed and a little further removed from everything else. Here's a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Just get rid of the torch? What could I put in it's place that would have some movement but doesn't sting?

24799955183_896eeef39f_b.jpg20160228-untitled-044-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived