inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

My LFS had pom pom crabs in. I only went for salt though and wasn't heading home for a while.

They were $20 each and I didn't see any with poms... :(

I'd pass them by with no poms. A pomless crab is sad and pointless and would only depress you in your tank. Resist the impulse to adopt the orphaned pomless crab :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kinds of anemones do they use for pom poms? Can those be found/cultivated?

They use different kinds of anemones in the wild. When I researched it before, I couldn't find any way to buy or find them on their own, though. In many tanks, the crabs will find substitutes from existing corals such as pieces of ricordea or even aptasia.

gulfsurfer101

I'd pass them by with no poms. A pomless crab is sad and pointless and would only depress you in your tank. Resist the impulse to adopt the orphaned pomless crab :)

Bwah, the same thing can be said about a girl who doesn't enjoy giving h**d! It's like buying a car that only turns left. I mean you can, but why?

Two years ago today this tank got wet for the first time! I have really enjoyed keeping and constantly tinkering with this little tank - there have been many ups and downs but it has been a joy the whole time :)

In honor of the two year tankiversary, I thought I'd post an FTS from about every three months since I started the tank.

01/23/14 (Day 3), my earliest picture. This scape didn't last long!

14992490793_de8ff2ec86_b.jpgCameraZOOM-20140123195715081 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

03/22/14 (Two months), this is the earliest FTS with corals. Just to give an idea how much a scape can change over time, the only corals here that are still in roughly their original spot are the pipe organ and the radioactive dragon eye zoas.

15236144493_483374a404_b.jpg20140322_092350_Android by TeenyReef, on Flickr

06/2/14, got some new corals after I killed many of the original ones when I introduced copper into the tank by using a brass fitting for two days before realizing that might be bad thing :( I completely emptied and cleaned out the tank including throwing out the sand, and just kept the rocks and the few corals that survived.

15685571605_cb1e4c4146_b.jpgDSC_0150 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

09/24/14, this picture shows many of the corals that are still in place in this tank. I've kept this basic scape ever since although I have made some minor changes and additions to the rocks over time.

15384956511_f060cbbc0d_b.jpgDSC_0012_04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

12/15/14, the tank is really starting to grow out and color up nicely now. At this point I was finally starting to feel like I understood the tank's personality and that I actually might know what I was doing :)

16032048385_935c069c65_b.jpg043 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

02/28/15: this is about the time I was taking pictures for the March TOTM. I'm not sure if this was exact FTS I used for the article but if not it's pretty close :)

16504716580_9d1fb4dbd5_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 1 March 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

05/27/15, still looking pretty good in this shot, although my zoa troubles had started by now.

18030965559_57f0e9fc7d_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 27 May 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

09/04/2015, I had a lot of troubles with zoas by now. I took this shot on a "good" day and you can see they don't look nearly as full and bright as they did in previous pictures.

21114337606_a638a5316a_b.jpgCADLights 4G FTS - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

01/03/2015, everything is really filling in now. Although the zoas still aren't growing the way they used to, daily target feeding seems to have helped! I will try to take a two year FTS this weekend :)

23528085303_b0f59e05f3_b.jpgCAD Lights 4g FTS - 2015-01-03 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Happy tankiversary ??? This is a great post-love the timeline pics with mini description ? I think I am gonna copy you on this and do the same when I hit 2yrs with the Nuvo. I am at 1yr. and 9 months now. At the rate of my transfer I'll easily still have it up ?. Except my timeline will end up with the tank looking empty ?

Happy birthday, Teeny Tank! one of my inspirations in this forum for sure :) I agree with Mirya -those progression shots are so freaking cool.

Thanks everyone! I had a great time looking back on the old shots. And it gave me inspiration on getting things looking better in some cases :)

Happy 2 years to the tank that has made me spend a lot of money and has been my inspiration!! I can't wait to have a coral frag from this tank to put in mine to honor it!!

Keep up the great work teeny and thanks for all the help!

That was a great way to celebrate your tank's 2nd birthday! I loved watching the progression. Very cool!

Thanks Dawn. And thank you for being so supportive as it has grown :)

Happy 2 years to the tank that has made me spend a lot of money and has been my inspiration!! I can't wait to have a coral frag from this tank to put in mine to honor it!!

Keep up the great work teeny and thanks for all the help!

Wow, you must have been watching my tank maintenance tonight! I decided to give the tank a birthday present by giving the return pump a good cleaning. Which has pretty much tripled the water flow - things are going crazy with the flow now :D

But while I was messing with the pump I dropped it in the tank and it broke off two little branches from the seriatopa or stylo or whatever it is. So I fished them out and stuck them to a couple frag plugs. It actually opened things up a bit and allows more light onto the rock below so I think it's a good thing anyway. So who knows? Maybe there will be some frags available in another month or two!

Happy 2nd year tank anniversary! :)

As for the Zoas, do you have the common 'hunchback' amphipods in the tank?

Thanks!

I just googled them and I don't think so, if your talking about the colorful ones that I just saw. But I do have largish white/clear amphipods (about 1/4" long) and I've long suspected them of being at least part of the problem. I think since the green banded gobies have gotten bigger, they've started to keep the amphipods a little more under control. I don't see them as much as I once did but they're still there.

They look like this (can be near white to golden):

Amphipod8.jpg

The adults (3/8" - 1/2") develop a taste for many types of Zoas. Symptoms are missing skirts consumed typically at night and if there are only a few Zoas in the tank they'll often finish off the whole polyp.

If you determine they are indeed doing the damage, daytime feeding Gobies can only help in the control, but the 'terminator' for a pico or small nano is the little nocturnal Black Barred Convict Goby (Priolepis nocturna):

p-26166-barred-convict-goby.jpg

Oh, he's cute! I'd be tempted to get one but he'd be the fourth small goby in this tank. That would be pushing the edge on the bioload for sure.

My ampipods do look similar - they are white rather than golden. I haven't seen them actually on the zoas very much, and I haven't noticed the skirts being eaten, though. What I get is a more generalized "zoas won't open", and I've seen whitish spots as well as a brown coating on the stalks off and on over the past year. I used spot peroxide treatment to handle those problems and right now they all look pretty good. I have noticed that doing heavy spot feeding of zoaplan and reef roids seems to help them a lot, too.

So while I am still deeply suspicious of the amphipods I haven't really seen conclusive proof that they are the problem.

I'm still tempted to get that goby anyway. You know, just to take care of the amphipod problem :D

This thread is a goldmine tonight! I had on-going problems with my zoas in my previous tank and I had those pods literally everywhere! I sat up for hours watching them but could never see them munching, always suspected they were the problem though. Hmmmmmmm.

You should definitely try the goby, you know, its for the best for your reef :lol:

Hmmmmm...more flow is a good thing but when the sand buries the acans it might be a little too much of a good thing :angry:

Lincoln likes the new sand dunes, though :)

24165162819_1fda6e8f01_b.jpgToo Much Flow by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This thread is a goldmine tonight! I had on-going problems with my zoas in my previous tank and I had those pods literally everywhere! I sat up for hours watching them but could never see them munching, always suspected they were the problem though. Hmmmmmmm.

You should definitely try the goby, you know, its for the best for your reef :lol:

Yeah, I think so too :) Looks like there are several different names for Priolepis nocturna including White Tiger Goby. There are some even cooler pictures of those with the same species name.

http://www.reefmag.net/reef-keeping/seagrass-lagoon-biotope/white-tiger-goby-priolepis-nocturna/

Here's a much better pic for you :)

priolepis-nocturna-2.jpg

...or how about this one? ;)

Priolepis%20nocturna.jpg

...or...

Gecko-goby3.jpg

They do like to hide a lot, but they are quite stunning when they do come out at feeding time :D

I was just going to add that they are territorial and need their very own cave. With 3-4 gobies already in a 4g, there *could* be trouble in Dodge :(

Another option would be to remove the other Gobies temporarily and let the Nocturnus have 3-4 months in the tank to eradicate the Pod population.

Love the progression pictures, it's great to look back and see how much things have actually changed - sometimes it feels like nothing is happening. :lol: Looking beautiful as usual in here. :)

Archived