Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Teeny, I notice most of your zoas have long stalk. Is that the same in your 10g too? I wonder how to get them to be flat and matty instead.

I'm pretty sure it's from not enough light. I've been working on very slowly increasing the lighting level.

I had some frag plugs in my frag tank that were flat and matty, and when I moved them to the 10g they started getting long. When I got the PAR meter I found out the PAR in the frag tank was double what I had in the 10g tank. And that was even more than in this tank.

I :wub: this tank!

teeny - what is the flowerpot looking coral in the left center?

Thanks! Do you mean the white one? That's a pipe organ coral, tubipora musica. There seem to be different varieties. Harry's is a darker color and reproduces very quickly from what he's said. Mine are very white, with green centers, and reproduce very slowly. At least in my tank, that is :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Do you mean the white one? That's a pipe organ coral, tubipora musica. There seem to be different varieties. Harry's is a darker color and reproduces very quickly from what he's said. Mine are very white, with green centers, and reproduce very slowly. At least in my tank, that is :)

Very cool! I have two different kinds of pipe organ - Harry sent me a frag of his and I have a complete white kind that sits very low to each pipe. I like that kind with the green centers! Very pretty.

Very cool! I have two different kinds of pipe organ - Harry sent me a frag of his and I have a complete white kind that sits very low to each pipe. I like that kind with the green centers! Very pretty.

I think mine is like your second one. They polyps on mine sat very low too, until I started target feeding them. Then they got more extended and started growing new polyps.

I also put a tiny zoa frag on the rock I added to block the flow from burying the acans in sand. These were a freebie I got some time ago from Aquascapers and I never got around to gluing them down anywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like when they get bigger and start coloring up.

24070751114_3166768338_b.jpgNew zoa frag by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those acans are puffies!!!

The new frags from cultivated reef came today! I popped the acros off their plugs, gave them a five minute dip in Bayer, and glued them right where they need to go. I'm not starting them on the sandbed because my light's not set really high to begin with.

I will try to get better pictures later. The oregon tort is super hard to photograph from the side. I had to lower the exposure way down, otherwise the blue highlights blew out as white. The polyps in front are actually blue, but they came out a little greenish in the picture.

24346661869_edb2450421_b.jpgOregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The electric miyagi tort was even harder to photograph because there's some shadowing on top of the highlights blowing out. So this one is both underexposed and shadowed. The shadowing is not as bad as it looks in the picture, though.

24346663089_0a6e55913b_b.jpgElectric Miyagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Nice! I wish I had the equipment to take macro photos :(

Thanks! These were actually taken with the regular kit lens, just cropped way in.

It's a Nikon D5500. I have a Tamron 90mm macro lens that I use frequently, including for the FTS shots. I also have a 35mm prime lens. But I end up using the kit lens a lot because of the zoom feature.

Oh, and I also take a lot of pictures with my cell phone (Galaxy S6 Edge), and they usually turn out surprisingly well.

I can't believe this is 4g, it looks absolutely insane.. Acans & Ricordia's are my favorite corals I'd say, this is awesome!

Thanks, Kijho!

Teeny, I notice most of your zoas have long stalk. Is that the same in your 10g too? I wonder how to get them to be flat and matty instead.

They "reach" for light just like plants do. I had a similar issue with some of mine as they grew into more shady spots.

:o:wub: Wow!!!

I see a tiny bit of room left on the right corner. fill it with coral then you dont have to worry about stirring the sand =P

No, I'm sorry, I can't put any corals there. I have a strict no corals on the sandbed policy. Plus that's my "negative space" :lol:

I am actually thinking about another tiny zoa island there. Or maybe another softy? Or a chalice? So many options :D

Awesome tank by the way! I had a nuvo 8 once that didn't have half as many corals and its twice the size.... I am ashamed :-(

Thanks! It's been running two years, yet I still feel there's a lot a improvements to make :)

I'm following your little dwarf seahorse tank with interest. There's so much to learn in this hobby!

Beautiful new pieces. I hope they grow like mad for you so you can send out frags. Start a list like Kat. :-)

Ha ha! That would be cool. But I'm just happy they haven't died yet after ten hours in the tank fingerscrossed

Your tank is gorgeous! Love the new Tort and Miyagi..

Thanks, I'm really enjoying them. The oregon in particular is exactly what I wanted in that top corner, and it's a slow grower so it shouldn't outgrow the tank any time soon.

Thanks! It's been running two years, yet I still feel there's a lot a improvements to make :)

I'm following your little dwarf seahorse tank with interest. There's so much to learn in this hobby!

Thanks. I promise I will get more updated pics tomorrow. I am quickly filling it up with coral.

Beautiful as usual. As for the zoas it could be lack of light but I have some Magna palys that are glued to my over flow right towards the top and those suckers have the longest stocks but it can't be due to lack of light as there is plenty up there so who knows!

The new Acros are awesome. omgomgomg I never light acclimate anything, it goes where I want it and needs to man up. :lol: So far nothing has been bothered to be honest.

Beautiful as usual. As for the zoas it could be lack of light but I have some Magna palys that are glued to my over flow right towards the top and those suckers have the longest stocks but it can't be due to lack of light as there is plenty up there so who knows!

Yes, I've noticed that some of the bigger zoa/palys just seem to like long stems. But I've definitely seem some of my zoas change the length of their stems based on the lighting. They don't seem to get shorter if they're already extended, they just start growing new polyps that stay short.

The new Acros are awesome. omgomgomg I never light acclimate anything, it goes where I want it and needs to man up. :lol: So far nothing has been bothered to be honest.

Well it appears to be working for you! And thanks, I'm really pleased with the new acros. I expect they will lose a little color at first because I'm still slowwwllly ramping up the lights and bringing down nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates are down around 5 which is a huge improvement, but phosphates are still up around .5 which is bad for most acros.

Daylight shot of the duncans. Since I've never fragged them before I wasn't sure what to expect. It looks like they are healing up around the cut area, though.

24386804619_db2be0c90e_b.jpgDuncans Healing by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived