Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Wow! Will Pom Pom crabs be a-holes when I feed my plate coral (stealing the food) or are they more shy than that?

When I had one in the past he was super shy. I'd only see him after lights out. Never had him steal food from a coral like some shrimp will do.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of pom poms... Where do they like to live?

And do they switch genders like Stella'c cleaner shrimps? If I get two, will I have t worry about who's the boy and who's the girl?

jedimasterben

And do they switch genders like Stella'c cleaner shrimps? If I get two, will I have t worry about who's the boy and who's the girl?

No, they are not hermaphroditic :)

so cool!!!

I've always had a soft spot for them, and I've had at least one for over a year. But it's been a long story of pom-less crabs. The first one came from Liveaquaria.com without poms. They refunded the whole thing, but of course I kept him. Then I added a second one, with poms, that I found at Petco. They shared the poms and each had one pom. But then one of them died, and the survivor somehow lost his pom.

Finally, I got Pom Pom #2, Mk 2, from the LFS. They seem to have physically split the anemones, because a week after I got the new one, they both had a pair of poms. And now we have eggs :)

I've always had a soft spot for them, and I've had at least one for over a year. But it's been a long story of pom-less crabs. The first one came from Liveaquaria.com without poms. They refunded the whole thing, but of course I kept him. Then I added a second one, with poms, that I found at Petco. They shared the poms and each had one pom. But then one of them died, and the survivor somehow lost his pom.

Finally, I got Pom Pom #2, Mk 2, from the LFS. They seem to have physically split the anemones, because a week after I got the new one, they both had a pair of poms. And now we have eggs :)

Start selling baby pom pom crabs with the little anemones! :o

Wow! Will Pom Pom crabs be a-holes when I feed my plate coral (stealing the food) or are they more shy than that?

Very very cool. I need to look into them more; I didn't realize the Pom Pom was another creature.

Start selling baby pom pom crabs with the little anemones! :o

That would be cool, wouldn't it! Unfortunately, I'd have to tear the tank apart to get her out, set her up in her own private tank, and set up another tank to breed some kind of crab larvae food. It would be like rearing baby brine shrimp :unsure:

They are very nice tank mates for any small tank. They don't pick at corals or steal food or bother other inhabitants. Since their claws are full holding the poms, they can't really do much damage, and the nems really just function for self defense, although I've read they can also use them like little cotton swabs to pick up food.

I loved the video Teeny, that sac of eggs is giant compared to her! I like how it looks like she is walking around even higher on her 'toes' not to run them into anything!

Exactly! Although as a married guy with children, I learned a long time ago not to laugh the at way a pregnant momma walks :D

When I had one in the past he was super shy. I'd only see him after lights out. Never had him steal food from a coral like some shrimp will do.

They mostly hang out in and under nooks and crannies in the rocks. They really only come out and stay out after lights out, but they do come out just far enough for me to see them at feeding time.

I wasn't trying to get a pair - I just got lucky.

That would be cool, wouldn't it! Unfortunately, I'd have to tear the tank apart to get her out, set her up in her own private tank, and set up another tank to breed some kind of crab larvae food. It would be like rearing baby brine shrimp :unsure:

They are very nice tank mates for any small tank. They don't pick at corals or steal food or bother other inhabitants. Since their claws are full holding the poms, they can't really do much damage, and the nems really just function for self defense, although I've read they can also use them like little cotton swabs to pick up food.

Exactly! Although as a married guy with children, I learned a long time ago not to laugh the at way a pregnant momma walks :D

This is a very safe thing to do! Also add to that, NEVER comment on what she is eating or wants to eat.

This is a very safe thing to do! Also add to that, NEVER comment on what she is eating or wants to eat.

I had sympathetic pregnancy symptoms with all three of my kids. Mostly sympathetic pregnancy weight gain :P

I had sympathetic pregnancy symptoms with all three of my kids. Mostly sympathetic pregnancy weight gain :P

:lol: That's awesome! My coworkers and I had a huge conversation today about cravings and pica. One of the ladies I was eating with is pregnant with twins and is constantly crunching ice (this is related to anemia), another remembered really wanting to eat laundry soap (she didn't). Pregnancy can be such a strange thing.

I still have one pom pom crab in my tank. And he or she still carries whatever piece of coral she can find. Lost the poms long ago. I have to figure out if it's male or female and get it a mate. I miss the free food for the tank :).

I still have one pom pom crab in my tank. And he or she still carries whatever piece of coral she can find. Lost the poms long ago. I have to figure out if it's male or female and get it a mate. I miss the free food for the tank :).

Do it!!!

Yeah, I'd heard a lot about them picking up other things to substitute for a missing nem, but mine never picked anything up for some reason.

Do it!!!

Yeah, I'd heard a lot about them picking up other things to substitute for a missing nem, but mine never picked anything up for some reason.

It's carrying something white right now. No clue what it is LOL. Obviously a piece of coral that bleached. Or maybe a tiny aptasia???
Polarcollision

Do it!!!

This might be a good thing! Mine found an aptasia.--I didn't even know there was aptasia in the tank. Now there's aptasia everywhere. every. where.

Well, duh! They are in loooove, of course they will share poms!! :wub:

It's carrying something white right now. No clue what it is LOL. Obviously a piece of coral that bleached. Or maybe a tiny aptasia???

I hope not!! But I checked in your thread - whatever it is, it's cute :)

This might be a good thing! Mine found an aptasia.--I didn't even know there was aptasia in the tank. Now there's aptasia everywhere. every. where.

Ew. Ew. Ew. I had a couple aptasia that came on a piece of macro algae I got a really long time ago. I snipped out the piece of algae it was on and never saw another one. I felt like I had dodged a huge bullet!

Well, duh! They are in loooove, of course they will share poms!! :wub:

Well, I admit, I hadn't thought of it that way :lol:

Now I want some pom poms for sure!!! I loved that video :)

I've found a coral for that empty spot in the upper right! Cultivated Reef had frags or Oregon Tort available so in a moment of weakness I placed an order. I just hope I don't kill it, this is the most I've ever paid for a single frag. Eeep :scarry:

http://cultivatedreef.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=19_1&product_id=670

That is pretty! I love blue in general, but especially love it in our tanks. I can't wait to see it up there and you aren't going to kill it :)

I hope not!! But I checked in your thread - whatever it is, it's cute :)

Ew. Ew. Ew. I had a couple aptasia that came on a piece of macro algae I got a really long time ago. I snipped out the piece of algae it was on and never saw another one. I felt like I had dodged a huge bullet!

Well, I admit, I hadn't thought of it that way :lol:

Huge bullet. I hate the dang aiptasias. I had a banded one in my biocube that got HUGE but he never reproduced. Now I have a bunch of the regular glass/brown ones that are multiplying like crazy. Came in on the chili coral :(

I've found a coral for that empty spot in the upper right! Cultivated Reef had frags or Oregon Tort available so in a moment of weakness I placed an order. I just hope I don't kill it, this is the most I've ever paid for a single frag. Eeep :scarry:

http://cultivatedreef.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=19_1&product_id=670

Oh man that is an awesome choice and being a slow grower will be perfect for a pico!

Oh man that is an awesome choice and being a slow grower will be perfect for a pico!

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind!

Now I want some pom poms for sure!!! I loved that video :)

That is pretty! I love blue in general, but especially love it in our tanks. I can't wait to see it up there and you aren't going to kill it :)

Huge bullet. I hate the dang aiptasias. I had a banded one in my biocube that got HUGE but he never reproduced. Now I have a bunch of the regular glass/brown ones that are multiplying like crazy. Came in on the chili coral :(

Thanks, Stella! No aiptasia in either tank so far :)

I live in fear of it, though :rolleyes:

Teeny your tank rocks but....I need some sweet skittlin pics of all that color :)

Hmmm, I'll see what I can do. Here's a few:

Radioactive Dragon Eyes and Candy Apple Reds

24059160869_92d57fce75_b.jpgRadioactive Dragon Eye Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Rastas

24344498301_588c2f8090_b.jpgRastas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Morphologics Vice zoas. These have morphed (see what I did there? :D ) due to low light but they are still pretty.

24344497621_7b4199da2b_b.jpgMorphologics Vice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

My LFS had pom pom crabs in. I only went for salt though and wasn't heading home for a while.

They were $20 each and I didn't see any with poms... :(

Archived