inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a new FTS! Here's a new FTS for the new year :)

23528085303_b0f59e05f3_b.jpg

WOW - That's the best 4 gallons of water I've seen. Excellent job on your reef!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy how the small tanks make the corals look so much larger. You look at this and then it makes perfect sense how your daughter created the mandarin image, organized chaos -- beautiful :)

Is it difficult to clean the glass where the hammers and duncans are? Do you just do it at night once they close?

Hah! I never thought of that! Yes, lots of little details put it all together :)

I clean the glass with a Two Little Fishies nano mag. It's really thin which is REALLY IMPORTANT in this tank :) I just run it down the glass along the hammers and duncans. They get mad and shrink up because they've been touched but it doesn't bother them - they pop back out in a few minutes.

Love the new FTS! The zoa's placement makes it look like a walkway from above, very cool.

You're right - that's really cool! Wish I could say I planned it that way :lol:

I'm looking for a thread and I can't remember which one it was. i wanted to show somebody it. I know the guy was from South Africa (references growing up with Die Antwoord) and he had a really slick setup, all white stand and all white room, a shallow long reef. Does any of this ring a bell? I think he had a bad crash and then maybe restarted, can't remember. I know I binged on it one night and I can't remember who it was.

anyone?

WOW - That's the best 4 gallons of water I've seen. Excellent job on your reef!

Thanks! Somehow I never saw your tanks before but I just caught up on your big one - WOW! Welcome back and thanks for checking in :)

PS: you should change your signature to point to the new tank :flower:

I'm looking for a thread and I can't remember which one it was. i wanted to show somebody it. I know the guy was from South Africa (references growing up with Die Antwoord) and he had a really slick setup, all white stand and all white room, a shallow long reef. Does any of this ring a bell? I think he had a bad crash and then maybe restarted, can't remember. I know I binged on it one night and I can't remember who it was.

anyone?

That's an easy one! You're looking for 4x5's thread, one of my favorites :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335821-made-in-africa-a-shallow-reef/

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a new FTS! Here's a new FTS for the new year :)

23528085303_b0f59e05f3_b.jpgCAD Lights 4g FTS - 2015-01-03 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Top down to go with it:

23859532190_604bffd294_b.jpgCAD Lights 4g Top Down - 2015-01-03 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I need to noob it up here a bit :rolleyes: , but in the toppish left, is that stylophora? If not, what is it? Is it a difficult coral to care for? I love that teal. I know that I'm not ready for it, but i have a LR top shelf in my tank that I hope to eventually do some monti and stylo and acros. But everytime I read about dosing, I'm reassured that I have no business with SPS.

Then again, I think I could honestly be happy with a tank full of torch, frogs, hammers, ricordea, zoas, ricordea, and more ricordea :wub: --and a plate.

Who am I kidding, I want that teal thing that you have in the top left corner! omgomgomg

Thanks! Somehow I never saw your tanks before but I just caught up on your big one - WOW! Welcome back and thanks for checking in :)

PS: you should change your signature to point to the new tank :flower:

That's an easy one! You're looking for 4x5's thread, one of my favorites :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335821-made-in-africa-a-shallow-reef/

That's the one! Thanks, Teeny~

I need to noob it up here a bit :rolleyes: , but in the toppish left, is that stylophora? If not, what is it? Is it a difficult coral to care for? I love that teal. I know that I'm not ready for it, but i have a LR top shelf in my tank that I hope to eventually do some monti and stylo and acros. But everytime I read about dosing, I'm reassured that I have no business with SPS.

Then again, I think I could honestly be happy with a tank full of torch, frogs, hammers, ricordea, zoas, ricordea, and more ricordea :wub: --and a plate.

Who am I kidding, I want that teal thing that you have in the top left corner! omgomgomg

That's the one! Thanks, Teeny~

Actually it's a tough question that's been discussed at some length in this thread. It's kind of skinny for a stylo, and it's kind of fat for a birdsnest. It was labeled as a birdsnest at the LFS when I got it. So I call it a birdsnest. It's definitely not the "classic" birdsnest, which is Seriatopa hystrix. I think it's Seriatopa guttatus, which is a variation of birdsnest with thicker branches.

Teeny this tank is for serious like a box of candy. :)

Yeah, I kind of think of it like a little jewelry box, everything's special. There are a few cheap pieces that I got early in life that I can't get rid of because of the sentimental value, too :)

Yeah, I kind of think of it like a little jewelry box, everything's special. There are a few cheap pieces that I got early in life that I can't get rid of because of the sentimental value, too :)

That's such a fitting way to describe it teeny. Very cool. I'm hoping over to check the other thread out. You're a busy individual haha.

That's such a fitting way to describe it teeny. Very cool. I'm hoping over to check the other thread out. You're a busy individual haha.

Thanks! Yes, I need to reduce the number of tanks in my house...but they are all so much fun. And a great excuse to not do other things I'd rather not do around the house :D

Your 10g is great, but this is REALLY nice! Great job and hope to see a few more New Year FTSs ;)

I've been following along in your thread to learn how to make a tank last a really long time! I think the biggest thing that has really sunk in as I'm approaching the two year mark is how important it is to keep maintenance simple and low effort. Otherwise it's just too easy to procrastinate. I could easily do manual top offs and dosing but it would never last, especially with multiple tanks.

Insane, shared on FB.

-Dave

Thanks for the love on FB :flower:

That for sure is not a birdsnest. It'd either a green stylophora or a green pocillopora.

It's definitely not a pocillopora. And the branches are a little long and thin for a typical stylo. But I agree, it's not the standard birdsnest, which is Seriatopa hystrix. I do think it's a Seriatopa, though. If you do a google image search for "ORA Green Birdsnest", you'll see corals that look very similar to this one, which are Seriatopa guttatus.

One of the key differences is that the corallites on the Seriatopa are more smooth, while those on theStylophora stick out. When the polyps are retracted on my coral, the skeleton is mostly smooth.

But of course if you look at enough different varieties of both, you can find both Seriatopa and Stylophora that both look almost exactly like this one. So I've never figured it out for sure :)

This tank really is incredible. Love the colours. :)

Thanks, Shaun!

This tank is just as wild as your IM10! :bowdown:

Thanks! I can't wait to see your tank all grown out :)

Nano sapiens

I've been following along in your thread to learn how to make a tank last a really long time! I think the biggest thing that has really sunk in as I'm approaching the two year mark is how important it is to keep maintenance simple and low effort. Otherwise it's just too easy to procrastinate. I could easily do manual top offs and dosing but it would never last, especially with multiple tanks.

Yup, yup :)

this is one of those tanks that make me wish you can win TOTM multiple times with the same tank....

If that was possible, then I nominate Nano Sapien's tank :)

love it! so amazing nothing is warring with each other!!!

Thanks, Cindy. I have had a few problems in the past. The evil favites, for example, got huge long stingers and had to go. Right now, the duncans and the hammer sometimes go after each other, but they seem to be willing to call it a draw after a day or so - just too much effort to reach that far :)

If you were to go through the pain of reading this whole thread, or if you checked my diary on Aquaticlog, you'd notice that I never seem to be able to make up my mind about how high to set the lights. It's gone up and down several times while I've had the tank. I've never bleached anything, but with my prima donna zoas, I've always worried about having the light too high for them, so I keep turning it back down when they struggle. But I've always wondered if the lights were generally "dim" or "bright" - in other words, am I set at 100 PAR or 500 PAR? My guess, based on the stated output of the Nanobox and the intensity I've used, was that PAR at the surface was about 200.

So as a late Christmas present to myself, I got Apogee's new SQ-420 USB PAR meter: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-420-smart-quantum-sensor-usb-output/

You just download the free software, plug the meter into a laptop, and go to town. I added 15% to the measurements as a rough adjustment for the blue lights.

Well, the results were pretty close to what I expected in the 10g tank - about 200 PAR. I wanted to get it up to 250 or 300 eventually for the SPS but I had recently lowered the lights to try to help with acan coloration so that measurement made sense.

But in this tank, it was only about 120 PAR at the water surface! This surprised me because the controller is not set too far below the 10g tank (the lights are identical), and this is a smaller tank. But then I compared the light height between the two tanks. Because this tank is smaller, the gooseneck is curved more to get the light centered. As a result, the light is 7" above the surface. In the 10g tank, it's only 4" above the surface. That makes a huge difference that I never considered.

So I'm gradually increasing the light now. I already knew I needed to bring it back up after I lowered it because the red mille started turning brown. It's at 135 PAR now, and I'll bump it to 150 after a week or so.

That's a good looking tank man!

Thanks! I'm following your new tank thread, but looking forward to seeing you get that 70g set up again :)

Archived