Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Elizabeth94

This thread is just too awesome!

The picture of your acan feeding is crazy, mine usually fold up the feeding tentacles and I can't see whats going on. But these guys look bigger than the ones I have.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is just too awesome!

The picture of your acan feeding is crazy, mine usually fold up the feeding tentacles and I can't see whats going on. But these guys look bigger than the ones I have.

Thanks! :)

You're right, when they get bigger they don't get all closed up when they eat. The one in the picture is about 3/4" wide.

Elizabeth94

Really? That thing looks like a monster in your tank. I thought it was almost 2inches!! Mine is at least 1.25" but it doesn't do that. Also, I have been on the lookout for purple acans like yours, but I can only find some that are green with some purple. None like yours. They are beautiful.

Thanks! :)

You're right, when they get bigger they don't get all closed up when they eat. The one in the picture is about 3/4" wide.

:lol: I'd have to kill myself if I started one more tank, especially since I'm still running the 90g FW tank :)

Haha, you could always convert the 90 to SW. :P I love your tanks, it seems they all flourish and look beautiful even when you are having problems!! Rusty looks amazing in that photo!

Hey Teeny, in reference to feeding with Mysis shrimp. I have used the dry packed ones and they all tend to float up and not stay near the hungry mouths of their hosts (so to speak). Anyway, do you use the dry stuff and if so, do you pre soak them? I'm just starting a new tank after several moves..

Hey Teeny, in reference to feeding with Mysis shrimp. I have used the dry packed ones and they all tend to float up and not stay near the hungry mouths of their hosts (so to speak). Anyway, do you use the dry stuff and if so, do you pre soak them? I'm just starting a new tank after several moves..

I only use the frozen ones. One cube feeds all three of my tanks, usually with some left over. I would think you'd definitely have to presoak the dried ones to keep them from floating off, but I've never used them.

Even the frozen ones have a few that want to float. It really helps when they sink because you can just lay them on top of acans and favites so that they have time to open their mouths and get a good grip on it :)

Haha, you could always convert the 90 to SW. :P I love your tanks, it seems they all flourish and look beautiful even when you are having problems!! Rusty looks amazing in that photo!

Thanks, Merth! The rusty goby is a goed example of a fish that just looks kind of reddish brown from a distance, but is really beautiful when you can see him up close.

I've been thinking about converting the 90g to SW, but it's a really old tank, it's not rimless, and it has scratches. On the other hand, it would be free, and if I break it trying to drill it out I wouldn't be out a lot of money. So we'll have to see. I can't afford all the equipment I'd have to buy, though, like lights and a sump and skimmer, so it's be a while no matter what.

Really? That thing looks like a monster in your tank. I thought it was almost 2inches!! Mine is at least 1.25" but it doesn't do that. Also, I have been on the lookout for purple acans like yours, but I can only find some that are green with some purple. None like yours. They are beautiful.

Yeah, that's the nice thing about such a small tank, even the little corals look big :D

Nice looking stuff! Teeny.......

Thanks, Spectra! Want to be my sponsor and send me all your corals? :D

:lol: I'd have to kill myself if I started one more tank, especially since I'm still running the 90g FW tank :)

MTS = Multi Tank Syndrome. I had 20 tanks running at one point. I cut back a bit. I have 8 >.>

That rusty has nice coloring! Mine were so drab. Cute little guy :).

Thanks, Gena :)

MTS = Multi Tank Syndrome. I had 20 tanks running at one point. I cut back a bit. I have 8 >.>

Eeek! I couldn't imagine keeping that many. But I guess you get a routine down and it's not so bad.

Ha ha.

I think tanks are like tattoos. Very few people get only one.

Awesome pics, teeny. I love those acan closeups. The texture is just so 3 dimensional.

Thanks, Gena :)

Eeek! I couldn't imagine keeping that many. But I guess you get a routine down and it's not so bad.

Only three are salt, One will be taken down as soon as the frag tank is up, then its held as emergency QT. I also have a 5 next to me, that is dry that will also be a fish QT.

Mind you, one tank contains a large amphibian, and the other just has water - my bird uses that as a fountain. I cannot get him do drink from any other source of water, I have to keep that tank running. Two have been up for 6 - 8 years (planted) One has a betta, the other the fish died last fall. The other one was recently set up, has a nerite I had for over 8 years, and a betta. The other two are salt, one has my Quarentined Coral from work, and the last has my crabs.

As for routine, My fresh salt goes into my display, my display goes into the crabs (will be frag tank when that is set) then that water goes into my frag QT before being disposed of. I rarely spend more than an hour on all tanks total a week for my usual maintenance. I had an algae issue with my newest betta tank, hence the nerite went in and took care of it.

Which reminded me, I need to find it, I think it fell out again... and I found it. its okay was behind the tank.

the irony of all this is I cannot stand the sound of running water LOL.

Wow 20....or 8! That's quite a few. I currently have 4 up. Two salt two fresh. Salt tanks are 3g and 10g, fresh tanks are 2.5g planted betta and a 4g planted shrimp tank.

Ha ha.

I think tanks are like tattoos. Very few people get only one.

Awesome pics, teeny. I love those acan closeups. The texture is just so 3 dimensional.

:lol: Good analogy!

Only three are salt, One will be taken down as soon as the frag tank is up, then its held as emergency QT. I also have a 5 next to me, that is dry that will also be a fish QT.

Mind you, one tank contains a large amphibian, and the other just has water - my bird uses that as a fountain. I cannot get him do drink from any other source of water, I have to keep that tank running. Two have been up for 6 - 8 years (planted) One has a betta, the other the fish died last fall. The other one was recently set up, has a nerite I had for over 8 years, and a betta. The other two are salt, one has my Quarentined Coral from work, and the last has my crabs.

As for routine, My fresh salt goes into my display, my display goes into the crabs (will be frag tank when that is set) then that water goes into my frag QT before being disposed of. I rarely spend more than an hour on all tanks total a week for my usual maintenance. I had an algae issue with my newest betta tank, hence the nerite went in and took care of it.

Which reminded me, I need to find it, I think it fell out again... and I found it. its okay was behind the tank.

the irony of all this is I cannot stand the sound of running water LOL.

Sounds like a very efficient routine. Nerites crack me up, they are such great adventurers, especially when they are getting used to the tank. :)

That Smiz top is awesome, he does such good work.

How is the war between the hammer and duncan?

They're doing much better, at least for now. I moved the hammer's rock over and back about 1/2", and reglued the myagi about an inch further to the left so he's well out of reach.

The only problem now is I used way too much glue for the myagi and it's sitting on top of a huge glob of bright white glue :blush:

Wow 20....or 8! That's quite a few. I currently have 4 up. Two salt two fresh. Salt tanks are 3g and 10g, fresh tanks are 2.5g planted betta and a 4g planted shrimp tank.

I've never kept FW shrimp - I think they're really cool, though!

:lol: Good analogy!

Sounds like a very efficient routine. Nerites crack me up, they are such great adventurers, especially when they are getting used to the tank. :)

They're doing much better, at least for now. I moved the hammer's rock over and back about 1/2", and reglued the myagi about an inch further to the left so he's well out of reach.

The only problem now is I used way too much glue for the myagi and it's sitting on top of a huge glob of bright white glue :blush:

I've never kept FW shrimp - I think they're really cool, though!

They are pretty awesome. I started out with 7 red crystal shrimp, yesterday I found my first batch of shrimplets though! :D

I think you might need a bigger tank :lol:

Nah, since I took out the dead Idaho grape I've got at least seven or eight square inches available :lol:

jedimasterben

Nerites crack me up, they are such great adventurers, especially when they are getting used to the tank.

I literally just tossed the last three or four nerites that were left in my tank lol. Stupid things keep getting themselves lodged in the eductors!

I hated my nerites. They were a daily chore to collect from the floor and put back in the tank. They also would leave slime trails all over the outside of the glass before dropping off. The amazing thing was that they could live for days on the floor, but all eventually died in the tank. Not because they didn't have available food, but they just went on a hunger strike and hung out with one another in a cluster and one by one starved.

But I think the fresh water nerites are a different snail, right? Or is it the same snail that can adapt to different salinity? 8 years sounds like a long life for one of those guys.

jedimasterben

But I think the fresh water nerites are a different snail, right? Or is it the same snail that can adapt to different salinity? 8 years sounds like a long life for one of those guys.

yeah, they are in the same family but are different genus. The nerites collected for saltwater tanks are not found on reefs, they are found in mangrove intertidal areas, so they never stay underwater.

I've had hit or miss luck with freshwater nerites in a freshwater tank. First one lasted a long time... Second one escaped not even a day later and then tried to electrocute himself (went for the electrical outlet several feet away, where things were thankfully covered)

I don't mind my nerites. I keep my tanks covered most of the time anyway, and after about a month of getting blocked by the cover, they don't seem as motivated to make the break for freedom as quickly as they used to :lol:

I'm working late tonight, so of course I'm finding all sorts of important things to do so I have an excuse not to work. LIke taking pictures of the tank :D

One of the pom pom crabs came out tonight after the lights went out. The lighting was kind of cool because it's a combination of the moonlights and a desk lamp nearby.

25730819811_d21a75abc3_b.jpgPom Pom Crab by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So since I was avoiding work anyway, I got out the macro lens to get a closeup of the dendros :)

25800223226_6db20eb63a_b.jpgDendros by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived