SaltCritters.com

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly
I wouldn't trust a heater that wasn't hooked to a controller.

My thoughts were one 100 watt not hooked to controller, to help along the 125. So your thinking just replace the 125 with a 150 or 175?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

My thoughts were one 100 watt not hooked to controller, to help along the 125. So your thinking just replace the 125 with a 150 or 175?

What is the maximum temperature differential, and what is the total water volume?

NorthGaHillbilly

What is the maximum temperature differential, and what is the total water volume?

Room gets down to mid 60s, so prob 15 degrees, and total water volume is ~45 gallons

Possibly two on the controller so I still gain that redundancy

jedimasterben
Room gets down to mid 60s, so prob 15 degrees, and total water volume is ~45 gallons

Possibly two on the controller so I still gain that redundancy

You'd need a ~200w heater for a 15 degree change, so having the 100 and a 125 will do it with ease.

NorthGaHillbilly
You'd need a ~200w heater for a 15 degree change, so having the 100 and a 125 will do it with ease.

100 watt in the process of being ordered

I wouldn't trust a heater that wasn't hooked to a controller.

+1000

Even if you have to get a splitter to plug more then one into the same outlet on the controller do it... thats what I do :)

Tanks looking REAL good man!!

NorthGaHillbilly
Great job on the tank and scape man, looks great! Cool idea with the black paint on the bottom.

Thanks man, I figgured if I hated it I could get some starboard, but I'm really liking it

+1000

Even if you have to get a splitter to plug more then one into the same outlet on the controller do it... thats what I do :)

Tanks looking REAL good man!!

That's exactly what I was thinking, I've got a small project box, might make a splitter just because I can

Looks awesome man, that ATI is badass!

I really like it, defiantly one of the best reef related purchases I've made, especially at 200 for fixture and 15 bulbs :D

NorthGaHillbilly

Alright guys, I need some fish suggestions, I've had several tanks, from 2.5g to 150g but o could count the fish on on two hands. I'm going to add a top to the tank, so I can think about wrasse. I'm going to have to add a Picasso clown to appease the lady, but aside from that I'm thinking king about a few blue stripe pipefish, but still not sure.

Any suggestions?

I just love my new Tailspot blenny- super cool fish with a great personality. Are you getting a pair of picasso's fun to watch them pair around.

Hawk fish are always interesting to watch too

No sand kinda sucks for alot of wrasses but if you stick to Fairy or Flasher Wrasses you will have better odds as they tend to be more rock dwellers then sand dwellers, and many will excrete a "cocoon" to sleep in/ protect themselves at night.

Also your going to want to stick with the smaller ones (which tend to be more expensive, especially w/ fairys) due to the tank size.... There are a few of both types that only reach around 3-4"... stay away from the ones that get bigger then 4" as they will not be happy and you won't have good odds.

NorthGaHillbilly

I just love my new Tailspot blenny- super cool fish with a great personality. Are you getting a pair of picasso's fun to watch them pair around. Hawk fish are always interesting to watch too

I wondered about the tail spots, I'm going to look into how large they grow, to keep things in scale. From the lawnmower blenny i had in the past I really like their personalities

No sand kinda sucks for alot of wrasses but if you stick to Fairy or Flasher Wrasses you will have better odds as they tend to be more rock dwellers then sand dwellers, and many will excrete a "cocoon" to sleep in/ protect themselves at night.

Also your going to want to stick with the smaller ones (which tend to be more expensive, especially w/ fairys) due to the tank size.... There are a few of both types that only reach around 3-4"... stay away from the ones that get bigger then 4" as they will not be happy and you won't have good odds.

I was looking at a McCosker's, it's still I'm is juvenile phase, looks like a male. Should it work out?

Wow!! This is looking fantastic, I love all the colors - and your lighting really makes everything just so vibrant looking!! Beautiful!

Thanks man! I still can't get a picture that shows the proper colors, but I'm getting there
jedimasterben

Wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites, so small ones will all be female. Once you notice a slight change in color, they're typically starting their 'initial phase' of sex change, then reach 'terminal phase' when they're fully male :)

I wondered about the tail spots, I'm going to look into how large they grow, to keep things in scale. From the lawnmower blenny i had in the past I really like their personalities

I was looking at a McCosker's, it's still I'm is juvenile phase, looks like a male. Should it work out?

If it has color it most likely will be a male, be careful, two fully grown males don't exactly get along.

NorthGaHillbilly

Wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites, so small ones will all be female. Once you notice a slight change in color, they're typically starting their 'initial phase' of sex change, then reach 'terminal phase' when they're fully male :)

got ya, I'll look again, but it looked similar to the pic labeled juvenile male on live aquaria.

wow.such.chris

This is such an awesome build, I especially like the stand. Made me change the one i was designing, i didn't realize how much people go overboard trying to support their tank. Do you access the electronics from the side or from inside by the sump?

That would be perfectly fine. If it looks like a male it is a male they start female and turn male.... IMO if you really want a show, get 2 or 3 different flashers... like the mckoskers, yellow fin flasher, and dot-dash or blue flasher. Add them all at the same time to avoid issues, and try to get them similar sized and already male. All those max around 3-4" and will provide alot of nice color especially with them flashing their fins at each other all the time. ;)

If it has color it most likely will be a male, be careful, two fully grown males don't exactly get along.

2-3 males of different flasher wrasses would be fine... they will "flash" each other alot but damage should be minimal at most.

Bro. This thing is pretty awesome. I'm considering a switch to a cad 34 gallon myself. Like the long swimming space compared to the cube. Tank looks really good here though. You know you could consider. A dwarf pygmy angel I've had one a few months now and she's a good little fish with pretty color and active. Just a suggestion. Also,how those bunk beds coming? Haha.

NorthGaHillbilly

This is such an awesome build, I especially like the stand. Made me change the one i was designing, i didn't realize how much people go overboard trying to support their tank. Do you access the electronics from the side or from inside by the sump?

Thanks man, yea a 2x4 is not "needed" for 90% of the tanks on NR. Not th at there wrong to overbuild, but as far as the sexy factor goes... a 2x4 just ain't that sexy :D

The electriCal compartment is on the left side of the stand, and accessed from outside. The only pass through into the sump area is one 1.75" hole

That would be perfectly fine. If it looks like a male it is a male they start female and turn male.... IMO if you really want a show, get 2 or 3 different flashers... like the mckoskers, yellow fin flasher, and dot-dash or blue flasher. Add them all at the same time to avoid issues, and try to get them similar sized and already male. All those max around 3-4" and will provide alot of nice color especially with them flashing their fins at each other all the time. ;)

2-3 males of different flasher wrasses would be fine... they will "flash" each other alot but damage should be minimal at most.

I like the sound of that, I really want to add some color and flash, get the wife more excited about the tank LOL

Bro. This thing is pretty awesome. I'm considering a switch to a cad 34 gallon myself. Like the long swimming space compared to the cube. Tank looks really good here though. You know you could consider. A dwarf pygmy angel I've had one a few months now and she's a good little fish with pretty color and active. Just a suggestion. Also,how those bunk beds coming? Haha.

I was wondering where you were man, I hope everything is going well. I really like some of the pygmy angels, I just worry about nipping on LPS, I've heard it's really a matter of the individual fish, and that's be an expensive fish stick if it nipped one of my babies :P

Thanks man, yea a 2x4 is not "needed" for 90% of the tanks on NR. Not th at there wrong to overbuild, but as far as the sexy factor goes... a 2x4 just ain't that sexy :D

The electriCal compartment is on the left side of the stand, and accessed from outside. The only pass through into the sump area is one 1.75" hole

I like the sound of that, I really want to add some color and flash, get the wife more excited about the tank LOL

I was wondering where you were man, I hope everything is going well. I really like some of the pygmy angels, I just worry about nipping on LPS, I've heard it's really a matter of the individual fish, and that's be an expensive fish stick if it nipped one of my babies :P

I hear yea man. I do have a few lps including a good sized green bubble coral she's behaved around em. I think it helps I feed seaweed sheets 1-2x week.

NorthGaHillbilly

I hear yea man. I do have a few lps including a good sized green bubble coral she's behaved around em. I think it helps I feed seaweed sheets 1-2x week.

The old lady would love an angel. I might have to try it.

I got some decent pics today... with my cell phone, who would of thunk it. Also put the RO 150 in, with the crap old pump it might be loud, but damned if it dosent pull some shit

The old lady would love an angel. I might have to try it.

I got some decent pics today... with my cell phone, who would of thunk it. Also put the RO 150 in, with the crap old pump it might be loud, but damned if it dosent pull some shit

Threaten the pump it'll quiet down. The lady will like a cherub man they're pretty and active.

Also just ordered my new IWB holster should be here Friday.

Archived