Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

Hmmm. Can you get stable before the end of the week? I would totally go for it, but that might not be the best idea.

Oh, and for free, be sure to check out RawTherapee for editing RAW photo files. Not easy or intuitive but once setup correctly it can do anything lightroom can.

I'm really tempted, but I expect it will take quite a while, moving over the electrical alone will prob take a few hours, and i cant stand to leave a tank alone until I'm happy with the scape. Next Friday I'll be gettig back in town in the AM and taking the rest of the day off, so I think I'll just shoot for then so I've got plenty of time.

I took and cleaned up the 20g real good one last time. I have neglected getting up detritus for a while and spent a long while with the turkey baster.

I've also finally gotten rid of the hydroids I think. I threw oUT two rocks that were beyond saving and superglued the rest that I missed before. I don't want to bring them with me into the new tank and I think I finally got em.

So it'll be a while till the new tank comes online, but it's on the calender now atleast.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I'm out of town next week for work, so the tank swap is either this week, or not for two weeks. I think I'm good to go, so I might see about taking a half day Thursday and making it happen.

I say wait... I know it might not be the funnest option but its not worth rushing it and not being around if something is off. ;)

NorthGaHillbilly

Couple of pics from the 20g. Ive been so occupied with this new tank that I realized my glass hadnt been scraped in over three weeks.

Cleaned things up, removed a few rocks that were beyond saving.

https://flic.kr/p/pzC1x6'>15476675867_de7d067308_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pzC1x6'>20141029_181519 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

My green meat was loosing color and not opening up well for a few weeks, it seems to be making a recovery, but its still got a good bit of color to regain

15476495308_74c07eedec_c.jpg20141029_181543 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

20 is lookin good man! Does the green meat still eat?

Thank ya sir!

Yea it does, it's looking much better than it was, I think I'm out of the woods with it

Cool shots- that green meat looks almost transparent - man I see that bare bottom and its gets me thinking how clean a tank like that is hard to break away from the sand though. Is this your first bare bottom tank? Do you miss the sand?

NorthGaHillbilly

Cool shots- that green meat looks almost transparent - man I see that bare bottom and its gets me thinking how clean a tank like that is hard to break away from the sand though. Is this your first bare bottom tank? Do you miss the sand?

yea, unfortunately it decided to bleach out randomly, it has recovered some, picture makes it look worse than it actually is.

of the tanks I have had, the last 3 have been bare bottom. Sand looks better, but after seeing how much gunk i remove I just can't go back to having a sand bed.

How did you get the bulkhead through the small part (in tank side)? Did you put it through before putting the box together?

yep, throughly inspected the bulkheads and then put them in during the glueup

NorthGaHillbilly

Those are some really nice large pieces you got there.

Thanks man, I've got my eye on a pink Cynarina next, might even join the fray next week. Tho there slower growing, I plan to have my rock covered chalices with a smattering of SPS and zoas, and the sand bed completely covered by big ol LPS
NorthGaHillbilly

Do you want the good or the bad news fist?

Good news, I just sat here watching one of my sexy shrimp eat an entire cluster of hydroids I missed in my attempts at eratication. Really excited to see him helping with the problem.

The bad news, also related to hitchhikers. I came home to 50 or so flatworms on my glass, not sure what to do, but I defiantly don't want a big problem to develop. Any suggestions?

If you had 50 on the glass Id say you already have a big problem... and had one brewing for a while.

Do you know what type of fw they are? Regardless to start you will want to siphon out as many as you can. Look into FW exit, but you might want to dip all your coral as well... I would.

NorthGaHillbilly

If you had 50 on the glass Id say you already have a big problem... and had one brewing for a while.

Do you know what type of fw they are? Regardless to start you will want to siphon out as many as you can. Look into FW exit, but you might want to dip all your coral as well... I would.

Ive pulled out several rocks and cant see any others, but thats not to say there not there. They are about 1/32 of an inch, trying to search what kind they are now

That sucks! I hate flatworms! Flat worm exit- multiple times to get them all. As Chris said- siphon out as many as you can before treatment.

NorthGaHillbilly

That sucks! I hate flatworms! Flat worm exit- multiple times to get them all. As Chris said- siphon out as many as you can before treatment.

I just siphoned out the ones i could see, going to try and concentrte them with a light later and get more out. FWE and a big wc tomorrow, 6 line wrasse in the next few days

I just siphoned out the ones i could see, going to try and concentrte them with a light later and get more out. FWE and a big wc tomorrow, 6 line wrasse in the next few days

Ya , good plan- they multiply crazy- 6 line should enjoy them from what I've read probably take a few fwe treatments

Not all flatworms are equal, and FWE doesn't work on them all either from what I've heard (I've never had a need for its use).... even a 6line is just a band-aid/ not guaranteed to fully eradicate them.

jedimasterben

+1

Some flatworms, usually the 'clear' ones that usually seen only on glass are algaevores and a good part of a cleanup crew, they carve a nice little path where they go.

I had the maroon ones yrs ago - totally ruined my biocube14- I performed multiple treatments and they just kept coming back- finally had to break the tank down?

NorthGaHillbilly

I had the maroon ones yrs ago - totally ruined my biocube14- I performed multiple treatments and they just kept coming back- finally had to break the tank down

dont tell me that :unsure:

If getting on them early you got a better chance- I had probably thousands that I would treat and then overnight they were back with a vengeance

Archived