Cultivated Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sicce silents are indeed silent beasts, I don't ever see myself buying a mag ever again.

I hated mags so bad, stupid impellers always broke and why run a heater if you run a mag LOL

mags all have chipped impellors, I swear i tried 5 different ones and they all had a little nick on the impellor shaft making them loud as all hell.

NorthGaHillbilly

I agree with everyone about mags, I borrowed a mag 5 to test before the Sicce came in, like all of the mags Ive dealt with before, this brand new mag was loud as hell and vibrated a ton.

I had a buddy bring by a jebao DC 3000 as I was tempted to try one out before deciding to get another sicce. It was slightly quieter than the sicce, but the flow was substantially lower, I had been told they lost a good bit after they pushed it up to the tank, but it was EXTREMELY noticeable.

Im having to relearn how to take pictures with the all T5 lighting, I got it down with the MH, but the T5 is tough for me. I hope to get it worked out before I do the tank swap.

Got a pic of the new convict chalice with the cell phone

https://flic.kr/p/pxpqUJ'>15451588410_a9fcb35a12_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pxpqUJ'>Chalice corner by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Plenty of room left in the return area

https://flic.kr/p/pPyMdM'>15634476681_922887e137_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pPyMdM'>2014-10-26_08-13-48 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

Taking pictures under T5 is a mother trucker. Liking that new chalice :wub:

yea it's a serious bitch so far, my bulb choice prob ain't helpin much either.

It aught to turn into something nice, it's washed out right now, but they had it right under leds and I don't want to move it PAR wise too fast. But it's god potential :D

You kill the power yet and see if your full siphon drain gets going on its own?

No luck yet, I can't really think of how to make it other than raising the pipe a little out of the water in the sump, it's naturally got more pressure than the dorso, but as you know in theory it'll do it. I tried reading up on it and can't find a fix. Any luck in your end?
NorthGaHillbilly

Looks good man! I know the DC look tempting but I havent seen one in action up live yet, I was too wondering if the hype is real?

They are DEAD quiet, to an unreal degree, but it felt pretty dinky and the loss of flow was pretty unimpressive

Wait, you're having issues getting shots under T5? wat. :lol:

MH was easy, these T5s ain't no joke. I'm going to actually have to learn how to use this camera
NorthGaHillbilly

They did look dinky, I see the flow thing is all that really matters along with sound.

stepping up to a DC 6000 would solve the problem I expect. The only issue with that is I would worry about is it losing its programed speed in the event of a power outage and out running the overflow. I don't know about the returns, but my WP10 has lost it before and gone to the full flow setting

jedimasterben

MH was easy, these T5s ain't no joke. I'm going to actually have to learn how to use this camera

Psh, try 100% LED and tell me how hard T5 is :)

stepping up to a DC 6000 would solve the problem I expect. The only issue with that is I would worry about is it losing its programed speed in the event of a power outage and out running the overflow. I don't know about the returns, but my WP10 has lost it before and gone to the full flow setting

I've lost power a LOT to the pump and mine has never reset (the DC-6000).

NorthGaHillbilly

Psh, try 100% LED and tell me how hard T5 is :)

I've lost power a LOT to the pump and mine has never reset (the DC-6000).

enlighten me on your secrets

I'm glad to hear it, I don't know why mine did it, but its just me beING paranoid

NorthGaHillbilly

What camera and software you got?

I've got a Nikon D60, software wise I'm a blank canvas, I didn't have to touch em with the MH, so I'm not sure where to start

Got a pic of the new convict chalice with the cell phone

Plenty of room left in the return area

Very nice Chalice!

Your sump makes me want to rip mine out and redo it! You did an awesome job. Are you going with filter socks for those returns or the Lawnman pre-filter?

NorthGaHillbilly

Very nice Chalice!

Your sump makes me want to rip mine out and redo it! You did an awesome job. Are you doing with filter socks for those returns or the Lawnman pre-filter?

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I run filter socks a day or two a month. When I do I blast everything in the tank and stir up things every hour or so till I have both socks overflowing. With the amount I feed I can't run socks constantly or I end up with nitrates climbing up. So I'll just slide a sock on the siphon drain every now and again.
jedimasterben

I've got a Nikon D60, software wise I'm a blank canvas, I didn't have to touch em with the MH, so I'm not sure where to start

If you think at some point you'll want to do more with your pics, you can get Adobe Lightroom for about a hundred bucks - it's really awesome software.

I don't know how much you know about the camera and such, so I'm just gonna give what all I know :)

Anywho, try setting your white balance to the 'kelvin' setting and play around with the number that you set, try several different ones and see what gets close. My camera also works when setting it to the 'warm white' setting, I think for Nikon that would be something like incandescent. For FTS and coral shots, set it to aperture priority mode. For most coral shots, set the aperture to the lowest number it will go, only part of the coral will be in focus. A higher number will get more in focus but will need a lot more light.

For fish, set it to shutter priority, and 1/125, it'll take care of the rest.

For pretty much all shots, set ISO to probably 800 or 1600. Higher means you need less light, but can look grainy.

yea it's a serious bitch so far, my bulb choice prob ain't helpin much either.

It aught to turn into something nice, it's washed out right now, but they had it right under leds and I don't want to move it PAR wise too fast. But it's god potential :D

No luck yet, I can't really think of how to make it other than raising the pipe a little out of the water in the sump, it's naturally got more pressure than the dorso, but as you know in theory it'll do it. I tried reading up on it and can't find a fix. Any luck in your end?

Nope not yet, after I do a water change and turn it all back on the secondary drain always catches but the drain that should be full siphon doesn't, so I gotta lift the pipe to let the air pocket escape then put it back and good to go.

NorthGaHillbilly

Nope not yet, after I do a water change and turn it all back on the secondary drain always catches but the drain that should be full siphon doesn't, so I gotta lift the pipe to let the air pocket escape then put it back and good to go.

that's what I'm having to do. Runs like a champ when it's goin, but toilet flushes when it starts up unless I lift the cap and get the siphon going

If you think at some point you'll want to do more with your pics, you can get Adobe Lightroom for about a hundred bucks - it's really awesome software.

I don't know how much you know about the camera and such, so I'm just gonna give what all I know :)

Anywho, try setting your white balance to the 'kelvin' setting and play around with the number that you set, try several different ones and see what gets close. My camera also works when setting it to the 'warm white' setting, I think for Nikon that would be something like incandescent. For FTS and coral shots, set it to aperture priority mode. For most coral shots, set the aperture to the lowest number it will go, only part of the coral will be in focus. A higher number will get more in focus but will need a lot more light.

For fish, set it to shutter priority, and 1/125, it'll take care of the rest.

For pretty much all shots, set ISO to probably 800 or 1600. Higher means you need less light, but can look grainy.

I'll see about going through that tomorrow and see what I can get. I know Photo shop CS2 is free now, but I'd be willing to pay up for light room if it's the way to go

that's what I'm having to do. Runs like a champ when it's goin, but toilet flushes when it starts up unless I lift the cap and get the siphon going

I'll see about going through that tomorrow and see what I can get. I know Photo shop CS2 is free now, but I'd be willing to pay up for light room if it's the way to go

lightroom is way easy to learn and for straight up photography no fluff stuff (serious image manipulation) it is the way to go.

NorthGaHillbilly

Looks like I'm out of town next week for work, so the tank swap is either this week, or not for two weeks. I think I'm good to go, so I might see about taking a half day Thursday and making it happen.

On a positive note, my sexy shrimp seem to be eating the colonial hydroids that are infested into my rock, and that's bad ass

Hmmm. Can you get stable before the end of the week? I would totally go for it, but that might not be the best idea.

Oh, and for free, be sure to check out RawTherapee for editing RAW photo files. Not easy or intuitive but once setup correctly it can do anything lightroom can.

Archived