Cultivated Reef

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keep me updated I may be interested. Your tank is the one I want to set up, as well as the lights with the RMS.

The light is sold already, but the tank will be available.

I may have a skimmer you could use and I am also selling a sicce return pump,and a 300w heater

I have a return pump, but I'm definitely in need of a skimmer and heater, I'll let ya know :)

Well fellas, tomorrow the new tank gets delivered. I'm getting a Deep Blue Professional 60 Rimless Shallow.

I sold a few things on this tank, and other hobby type stuff. On Monday my 24 x 48 black starboard will be delivered, as well as my return pump and 48" 6 bulb T5 fixture.

I'm having my LFS keep all my coral for a week or so, depending on how long it takes to get set up. They are charging me a $10 acclimation fee, and $5 a day. They run their coral under MH for a few hours and the rest under LEDs, so I should be getting some solid growth and nice parameters during that time.

I plan on painting the stand, with a chalk based paint then I'm going to distress it afterwards and finish with a clear wax.

I'm going to buy a Rubbermaid tub for a sump, just for now until I can afford a nice one.

My LFS is also having a sale tomorrow for $1 a pound for base rock and $2 a pound live rock that is fully cured and coraline covered.

I will post pics tomorrow once the tank gets here.

You went with black starboard? Probably a good idea. This white that I have will probably look like crap in short order :lol:
Quit hating on algae covered star board :).

You went with black starboard? Probably a good idea. This white that I have will probably look like crap in short order :lol:

kTIrEoH.jpg

Yes sir, looks great too. Going to try and cut it when I can.

So where's the tank ?

Tank is still sitting with fresh water in it.

I was able to have a visit with my son today, which was awesome.

JxTB2aa.jpg

uXQG4rD.jpg

Pics of my son and I, one of us napping. My wife was creeping.

wCYIPJj.jpg

lp8dRj4.jpg

I got my T5 light in, and it's in pretty bad shape. All of the bulbs were jarred out of the sockets. One of the sockets was snapped out of the reflector, and the snap broke. When I got it all put together not all the bulbs lit, and then one of them sparked and smoked. The guy told me it was 100% new, but I'm beginning to question that. I'm not sure if I need or should do a paypal dispute, or a UPS insurance claim. He said he had it covered up to $100.

Suggestions?

kTIrEoH.jpg Yes sir, looks great too. Going to try and cut it when I can. Tank is still sitting with fresh water in it. I was able to have a visit with my son today, which was awesome. JxTB2aa.jpguXQG4rD.jpg Pics of my son and I, one of us napping. My wife was creeping. wCYIPJj.jpglp8dRj4.jpg I got my T5 light in, and it's in pretty bad shape. All of the bulbs were jarred out of the sockets. One of the sockets was snapped out of the reflector, and the snap broke. When I got it all put together not all the bulbs lit, and then one of them sparked and smoked. The guy told me it was 100% new, but I'm beginning to question that. I'm not sure if I need or should do a paypal dispute, or a UPS insurance claim. He said he had it covered up to $100. Suggestions?
What kind of T5 light and you have any pictures? You can't file a insurance claim with UPS the shipper has to do it.

He didn't have it covered up to 100. UPS gives a 100 in insurance!

What kind of T5 light and you have any pictures? You can't file a insurance claim with UPS the shipper has to do it.

He didn't have it covered up to 100. UPS gives a 100 in insurance!

It's an Odysea (how ever it's spelled) and he actually sent it USPS, I just noticed the packing slip. I'll have to snap some pics. It's all put back together not, but three of the bulbs don't fit in the slots securely and just roll around.

It's an Odysea (how ever it's spelled) and he actually sent it USPS, I just noticed the packing slip. I'll have to snap some pics. It's all put back together not, but three of the bulbs don't fit in the slots securely and just roll around.

Yeah USPS insurance is for the package vanishing off the face of the earth not for damage.

Yeah USPS insurance is for the package vanishing off the face of the earth not for damage.

That really sucks, not quite sure what to do at this point. Some of the damage is just hard to believe that it happened during shipping. Like where the bulb connects to the little plug, it snapped off the reflector. I'm not sure $140 shipped, not much but still too much to spend on a light that doesn't work.

I can still do the transfer of tanks with this broken light. I have all my coral at my LFS being held for $5 a day. I paid for 8 days ahead of time, but I would prefer to keep it to a minimum, I'm not rich! I need to get something to light this tank with damnit. I can't believe this light isn't working.

jedimasterben

Correct, all claims need to be filed by and are paid to the shipper, not the receiver. USPS is a lot better about claims than it used to be, but I would plan on using something else in the mean time. If you're desperate, get some high-wattage 5000K CFLs from Home Depot and some clip-on aluminum reflectors. They give a shitload of light and actually look halfway decent as a temporary light.

File PayPal immediately. Use the light as is, it's got some bulbs working right? And I think the insurance pays out to the shipper who paid for the insurance, not the receiver.

Correct, all claims need to be filed by and are paid to the shipper, not the receiver. USPS is a lot better about claims than it used to be, but I would plan on using something else in the mean time. If you're desperate, get some high-wattage 5000K CFLs from Home Depot and some clip-on aluminum reflectors. They give a shitload of light and actually look halfway decent as a temporary light.

Yeah I think I'm going to just file today. I wrote him yesterday around ~7PM and he still hasn't responded. I was hoping to work something out, but this light is damaged to the point where I'm thinking shipping COULDN'T have done it. He lives like 2 hours away from me which makes me nervous, don't want him showing up trying to kill me or something :P

Thanks yall.

This is what the guy said back to me today:

"I'm so sorry it arrived damaged.. I've informed usps that it's a light fixture with bulbs and it should be handled with care. I'm glad I got it insured. Let me know what I can do to help"

Should I still do a paypal claim? Not sure what to do at this point.

This is what the guy said back to me today:

"I'm so sorry it arrived damaged.. I've informed usps that it's a light fixture with bulbs and it should be handled with care. I'm glad I got it insured. Let me know what I can do to help"

Should I still do a paypal claim? Not sure what to do at this point.

Respond with send me a refund and I will ship it back. Let him deal with USPS. If you file a paypal claim they will have you ship it back on your own dime.

Respond with send me a refund and I will ship it back. Let him deal with USPS. If you file a paypal claim they will have you ship it back on your own dime.

Just sent him a message, thanks Lawn.

lilmatty5dimes

dang wish you weren't 2 hours away. i would let you use a mh/t5 fixture for now. not the greatest but would at least give you lights. lol how far are you from I-95?

Reefmaster1996

yeah bro, I agree with jedi and kat, immediate dispute, make sure to upload pics and all evidence, provide your case as factually and chronologically as it happened, and im sure paypal will decide in your favor, you can call paypal and talk with the person setlling your claim too, that usually works in my expeienece, if you were closer i have a 250 watt halide that yu could have for free, its ugly but works

dang wish you weren't 2 hours away. i would let you use a mh/t5 fixture for now. not the greatest but would at least give you lights. lol how far are you from I-95?

Not sure where 95 is to be honest man, I'm relatively new to Florida and don't travel much.

yeah bro, I agree with jedi and kat, immediate dispute, make sure to upload pics and all evidence, provide your case as factually and chronologically as it happened, and im sure paypal will decide in your favor, you can call paypal and talk with the person setlling your claim too, that usually works in my expeienece, if you were closer i have a 250 watt halide that yu could have for free, its ugly but works

This is what he said after I asked for a refund. I don't know if that means he's going to refund me or not. Should I still do a paypal dispute or what?

"Ok I have contacted USPS and in order to get the insurance, please take several pictures of the damages, pics of the entire fixture, etc. Just take a bunch of pics and please send to: arnel0387@gmail.com. PLease do not throw anything away or else I cannot get my refund. Thank you"

I wrote the dude and told him I would take pics in the morning. If I do a paypal dispute doesn't that screw him over? I don't want any friction in this fragile time of my life.

I've assembled the light back together, so it looks to be in great condition at this point, just doesn't work. Not sure how I can reflect that in pictures.

he's probably gonna give you a refund ONLY IF USPS gives him back a refund...did you save the box it shipped in? You will need to take a picture of that and focus on area that show the box was mishandled...like a fold / tear / hole / etc. Then you have to provide picture of the packing material inside to show the shipper carefully packed it. I had to do this with my first tank that came in damaged.

Archived