inTank Media Baskets

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got my rock in today. So far I like the way the scape looks.

Also, my LFS let me borrow a very very very used Current USA Nova Extreme 6 bulb T5 fixture. They are selling it for $100, but here's the issues.

1) It needs all new bulbs.

2) The fans need replaced.

3) It has a missing acrylic splash guard, so a lot of the nuts and screws are rusted.

Do you guys think its worth working on? I don't know where the hell I can even attempt getting an acrylic shield from. Some input on this would be amazing. They said I could borrow it, and if I want to buy it I can, if not no biggie. I only ran it for about ten minutes, I get scared running it with no fans.

Is it okay to run with the fans not working for now?

Here are some pictures of my tank:

sIYxIJy.jpg

gmqFc9C.jpg

l3Fmd6n.jpg

Efs6nm2.jpg

gCRAMGr.jpg

Some input on this light would be super awesome. I was thinking it would be super awesome to eventually take two of the bulbs out and retro some LED's into it.

I like the scape and the black bare bottom...bbb.

No idea on the light value.....like the hybrid idea though.

Thanks man, just not sure if it's safe to run for now with no fans.

Thanks man, just not sure if it's safe to run for now with no fans.

No idea....I've always ran LEDs.

I'd roll the dice and light her up....what's the worse that could happen? :^ )

No idea....I've always ran LEDs. I'd roll the dice and light her up....what's the worse that could happen? :^ )

Haha, I haven't had T5's in years so I'm lost too. Just don't want to burn my house down :P

Also, until I have a sump, what is the easiest way to add mechanical filtration with a rubbermaid sump? I would like to add a filter sock, or some filter floss if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Haha, I haven't had T5's in years so I'm lost too. Just don't want to burn my house down :P

Also, until I have a sump, what is the easiest way to add mechanical filtration with a rubbermaid sump? I would like to add a filter sock, or some filter floss if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

You just answered it...filter sock.

You just answered it...filter sock.

Yeah but I'm not sure how to implement it. The Drain goes right into the rubbermaid, then my return is like 8 inches away. Obviously there aren't any baffles or anything, and no filter sock holder. How would I attach it to the drain?

Yeah but I'm not sure how to implement it. The Drain goes right into the rubbermaid, then my return is like 8 inches away. Obviously there aren't any baffles or anything, and no filter sock holder. How would I attach it to the drain?

Don't need the baffles....what size is your drain?

Is it PVC?

You can put a reducer fitting on there and bump up the drain size. My socks have an internal plastic ring piece that clings onto the drain.

You will have to hang that fixture or any T5 fixture. 324 watts of T5 at 16 inches from the bottom will cook any coral in that tank. You can easily do a 36 inch fixture but it will still need hung on a shallow tank. I have a 24 inch fixture on my 24x24x12 shallow and I keep it 18 inches above the top of the tank.

You will have to hang that fixture or any T5 fixture. 324 watts of T5 at 16 inches from the bottom will cook any coral in that tank. You can easily do a 36 inch fixture but it will still need hung on a shallow tank. I have a 24 inch fixture on my 24x24x12 shallow and I keep it 18 inches above the top of the tank.

No shit?

That is awful news...... lol, My wife is NOT a fan of hanging a huge fixture like this. Damnit!!!

Now I'm really SOL on lighting this damn tank. I really do not wanna go fish only lol.

I just hooked up my reactor and got the carbon doing a slight tumble.

Don't need the baffles....what size is your drain? Is it PVC? You can put a reducer fitting on there and bump up the drain size. My socks have an internal plastic ring piece that clings onto the drain.

My drain is 1 inch, and is PVC. Most socks I see are 4-7 inches, maybe I can find a 1 inch.

Hmmm, you must know your shit.
I have my lights 18 inches from the top of my tank. After 8 hrs my corals start receding and sliming up. A shallow tank isn't made to have a rim resting light unless you can dim it.

I have my lights 18 inches from the top of my tank. After 8 hrs my corals start receding and sliming up. A shallow tank isn't made to have a rim resting light unless you can dim it.

Damnit man. I'm screwed.

Ya....I see the same with mine. I've cooked quite a few.

Let me see a picture of this overflow plumbing.

pics are kind of hard to get for some reason but here is the best I can do. I just removed two heaters since I've gotten temp up, so it's dropping back down now. My 300 Watt heater comes in Wednesday.

If I could afford an ATI fixture I would in a heart beat, but I'm going to be broke for a good minute.

Hm1Z05v.jpg

g8TgWpc.jpg

z1nzk49.jpg

TeIC5qe.jpg

pics are kind of hard to get for some reason but here is the best I can do. I just removed two heaters since I've gotten temp up, so it's dropping back down now. My 300 Watt heater comes in Wednesday. If I could afford an ATI fixture I would in a heart beat, but I'm going to be broke for a good minute. Hm1Z05v.jpgg8TgWpc.jpgz1nzk49.jpgTeIC5qe.jpg
Ok that is stock plumbing. Your problem is you are missing the 90 elbow to complete your Durso drain. That will silence your drain and you will be left with just the water falling into the over flow box. You can get a street elbow at the home store to complete it. Pretty sure it's 1 1/4 that reduces down into a 1" bulkhead.

It should look like this. http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/84D4988D.jpg.html'>84D4988D.jpg

Ok that is stock plumbing. Your problem is you are missing the 90 elbow to complete your Durso drain. That will silence your drain and you will be left with just the water falling into the over flow box. You can get a street elbow at the home store to complete it. Pretty sure it's 1 1/4 that reduces down into a 1" bulkhead.

So there is supposed to be a 90 elbow on the drain? Facing up or down? Also Lawn, you've had this tank. What are my lighting options? I can't go fish only, I need corals. But it will be months before I can afford an ATI or similar fixture. What are my options bud?

So there is supposed to be a 90 elbow on the drain? Facing up or down? Also Lawn, you've had this tank. What are my lighting options? I can't go fish only, I need corals. But it will be months before I can afford an ATI or similar fixture. What are my options bud?

It faces down. That Nova Extreme pro will work perfect you just need to hang it from the ceiling or get some lamp trees or conduit to get it up. If you want to replace the fans here is a link for them. They are getting hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Current-USA-Replacement-3-cooling-fan-for-Nova-Extreme-Fixtures-1745-/281478088069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418966c585

Archived