SaltCritters.com

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

i like the black look. imho. your lfs is correct with plumbing. i used unions and ball values. probably why it cost me almost $120 just in plumbing. lol here's a few pics of the plumbing i did. photo is a lil dark but should help maybe.

IMG_7983_zps9eec7cc4.jpg

this one is a lil better and clearer. pipe on the left is my return. union is there so if i needed to do maintenance on the pump i was able to do so. ball value is to have full control of the output of the return. then followed up by another union if i need to do something with the bulkhead. the drain is basically the same thing.

IMG_7977_zps4d0d79ec.jpg

do you have a sump?

I'm using a 18 gallon rubbermaid container for now, until I can afford one. I think I'm going to go with a white background, since I went with a black starboard.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the new tank plumbed, and I have about 30-40 gallon of saltwater in the tank and my rock with two heater and a Jebao WP-10.

I traded my RMS mount for a WP-25, and have a 300W heater on the way. I have the rest of my water being made at home today so when I get home I'll be able to fill the tank completely.

d4orN98.jpg

eZcslAT.jpg

N4bPVKK.jpg

My LFS also hooked me up with 30 pounds of live rock for $1 a pound. So that'll be ready Sunday.

My LFS also hooked me up with 30 pounds of live rock for $1 a pound. So that'll be ready Sunday.

-whispers-

Gulf Live Rock...

But seriously, amazing stuff. I'm still finding new animals months later. And you're right in FL, I bet it'd ship awesomely.

-whispers-

Gulf Live Rock...

But seriously, amazing stuff. I'm still finding new animals months later. And you're right in FL, I bet it'd ship awesomely.

The rock they have was from a 500 gallon system they broke down thats nearly 4 years old. The rock is beautiful and covered in corraline. I'm stoked!

Love the size of tank. Fill er up.

I wish my wife loved it! She hates it! I'm waiting for the last 35 gallons to heat up now then she's getting filled up.

Well I officially have the tank wet. I have this broken T5 fixture on with only 3 of the bulbs working, but it lights the tank some so that's all that matters until paypal figures it out.

Here are some pictures:

RvuClbP.jpg

9rUoPBt.jpg

2eAQm8i.jpg

VhLfc4V.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to pick up all my live rock and get to aquascaping. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll add my fish.

One thing I'm really not stoked about is how loud this damn drain is, it is outrageous!

This is a deep blue tank right ? What size return do you have? Is some of noise sound of waterfall from water falling in overflow? I had these issues in past but got my deep blue pretty silent now and happy with it.

This is a deep blue tank right ? What size return do you have? Is some of noise sound of waterfall from water falling in overflow? I had these issues in past but got my deep blue pretty silent now and happy with it.

Yeah it's a Deep Blue. It's the gurgle that's so outrageously loud. My return I want to say is 1 inch. The waterfall noise isn't bad at all!

Now I just need to figure out how to remove the old drain to replace it this weekend.

FIbLTOx.jpg

IygdIHs.jpg

X09KPcO.jpg

Fish are in!!!! Woot!!!!

Reefmaster1996

hey bro, ill call you tonight to help you out with your plumbing questions, after seeing my tank system im sure youll trust my advice

i love the dimension of this tank sooo much. it's really like having a piece of the ocean in your living room.

Thanks man, I'm in love with it too. My wife is really having to learn to love it though haha. I still have 30 more pounds of rock to add tonight so it's going to be awesome!

hey bro, ill call you tonight to help you out with your plumbing questions, after seeing my tank system im sure youll trust my advice

The biggest thing is I need the damn thing to quiet down some. I can build the gurgle buster no problem, but I don't know how to get the old drain off.

How many gph pump? It's easy to max out these overflows imo and make them super loud.

Rio 2100, so around 694 GPH, but lower with a few foot to go I'm sure.

Tonight at 9PM I pick up my rock, and I'll start aquascaping. The T5 light starting shorting out last night, so it's definitely not going to work. I have no way of lighting my tank and I have to pick my corals up by Monday. Sigh....

Also, my Wp-25 comes in Monday. So dead spots won't exist! hahaha. I can't wait to have some real deal flow in this thing!

Might be a bit much flow for it. I had a 800gph pump on mine at one point and was so damn loud. I drilled some holes in top pipe and got better but was still loud. I than tried 450gph pump and was perfect :). Sorry about light man

Might be a bit much flow for it. I had a 800gph pump on mine at one point and was so damn loud. I drilled some holes in top pipe and got better but was still loud. I than tried 450gph pump and was perfect :). Sorry about light man

Really? I always thought 5-10 turnover is what I should shoot for. According to Rio, the pump gets about 550 GPH at 2 foot, and 470 at 3 foot. So I'm probably around 500 GPH.

Yeah the light situation really sucks. I need to sell my Fusion ASAP so I can get a new light.

Your using stock plumbing in the overflow? If so drill bigger hole in top pipe if didn't try.

Also I like to 45 deg angle my drain pipe to slow the rushing water. This way slides down vs straight drop. I think that also helps noise

Your using stock plumbing in the overflow? If so drill bigger hole in top pipe if didn't try.

Also I like to 45 deg angle my drain pipe to slow the rushing water. This way slides down vs straight drop. I think that also helps noise

I'm not at home so I can't snap a picture of the overflow area. I'm not sure if it's the stock overflow kit, I bought it used.

Here is a shitty painting I did to try and show how the drain looks.

FU6XULr.png

Yep a hole in the top of that pipe. Can't kind of tune noise that way.

I did that, and tried putting some airline into it. Didn't help at all sadly.

Reefmaster1996

I have a ghetto but 100% functional Metal halide 250watt light with a new 20k bulb, I can sell it to you for 70$ shipped, i used it on my 50g a it grew sps, so it should be fine for your stuff, just needs a way to be held up off the tank

it would be a nice short term fix

I have a ghetto but 100% functional Metal halide 250watt light with a new 20k bulb, I can sell it to you for 70$ shipped, i used it on my 50g a it grew sps, so it should be fine for your stuff, just needs a way to be held up off the tank

it would be a nice short term fix

Yeah but getting it lifted off the tank would be the issue. Not to mention the massive increase of heat and electric bill :P

Archived