ReefCleaners.org

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

It faces down. That Nova Extreme pro will work perfect you just need to hang it from the ceiling or get some lamp trees or conduit to get it up. If you want to replace the fans here is a link for them. They are getting hard to find. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Current-USA-Replacement-3-cooling-fan-for-Nova-Extreme-Fixtures-1745-/281478088069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418966c585

It's just not an option. I'm going to have to run like 3 bulbs or something for the time being until I can find something that's cost effective but will give me good growth. I love the looks of LED's but I've never had decent growth like I did with T5's. I didn't think about how short the tank was.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know nothing about what kinds of light options you have, but will say this...

If your wife has issue with you hanging a light from the ceiling, there are people who have installed a shelf onto the wall and hung the lights from that.

Personally I would't want to hang lights from a ceiling either, but like how it looks hanging off a shelf. Multipurpose, cause you can put things on the shelf to help make it look nice.

Just an idea once you figure out a light!

I know nothing about what kinds of light options you have, but will say this... If your wife has issue with you hanging a light from the ceiling, there are people who have installed a shelf onto the wall and hung the lights from that. Personally I would't want to hang lights from a ceiling either, but like how it looks hanging off a shelf. Multipurpose, cause you can put things on the shelf to help make it look nice. Just an idea once you figure out a light!
People always freak out about hanging lights from the ceiling. But they look so sleek once you do. Looks a lot better than conduit or lamp trees.

Am I wrong saying a 48'' fixture with 6 bulbs on that tank would cook corals?

Thanks Ben, I'll probably look into a 36 inch fixture.

People always freak out about hanging lights from the ceiling. But they look so sleek once you do. Looks a lot better than conduit or lamp trees.

It wasn't about doubting you, its just wishing you were wrong :P hahaha

jedimasterben

+1

Sitting right on top of the tank, nope, you're spot on. Needs to be hung.

+1

Sitting right on top of the tank, nope, you're spot on. Needs to be hung.

I don't want your chinese leds ;).

As of now I just have two bulbs on, but I also have no corals in the tank yet. I pick them up today or tomorrow.

Is it safe to run with the fans no working? I've had it on for about 30 minutes (two bulbs) and the fixture is still ice cold.

jedimasterben

Is it safe to run with the fans no working? I've had it on for about 30 minutes (two bulbs) and the fixture is still ice cold.

The housing isn't the issue, it's the bulbs. I doubt they'll get hot enough to fail using only two of them, but long-term it's a bad thing and they'd certainly fail prematurely if run hot.

lilmatty5dimes

i had a 6 bulbs 48" current pro on my 90g(24" deep) tank that was hung about 8" off the water and it grew anything i wanted. so i would agree its going to cook your corals. good news is i bought for only $100. the problem was the 2 bulbs would turn off after about a hour. the 4 bulbs were perfectly fine. i had a friend come over and look at it and it was full of dust and the fan couldn't spin. so before you spend money on the fans tear it apart and look at the connections and the fans itself and maybe you'll get lucky and be able to fix it rather than repair it.

i had a 6 bulbs 48" current pro on my 90g(24" deep) tank that was hung about 8" off the water and it grew anything i wanted. so i would agree its going to cook your corals. good news is i bought for only $100. the problem was the 2 bulbs would turn off after about a hour. the 4 bulbs were perfectly fine. i had a friend come over and look at it and it was full of dust and the fan couldn't spin. so before you spend money on the fans tear it apart and look at the connections and the fans itself and maybe you'll get lucky and be able to fix it rather than repair it.

Thanks bud!

I don't want your chinese leds ;).

The housing isn't the issue, it's the bulbs. I doubt they'll get hot enough to fail using only two of them, but long-term it's a bad thing and they'd certainly fail prematurely if run hot.

I took par readings. What do you guys think? The top figure is 2 bulbs, then all bulbs, then four bulbs.

oJY4qDm.jpg

Seems low, so will this be safe?

Looks like plenty to me but how old are bulbs? New bulbs could maybe toast some smit as people said earlier

Yeah the bulbs need replaced for sure! So maybe when ti comes to that I will reassess.

I pick up my corals in about an hour, and I'm most likely trading my Scoly tonight for an Eshopps sump/fuge and Eshopps Skimmer.

New FTS:

2j37Pjf.jpg

uKl24W1.jpg

The fish are thrilled with all their new space to swim, the cardinal is super active. I can't wait to get all my coral placed.

What do you guys think I should do with that left rock? Euphillias (spelling)? Or Zoanthids?

acan island

Oh wow, great idea. I have some nice frags already too.

Does your any prepared foods, like flake or pellet?

I feed Rod's Herbivore Blend and Marine One Pellets rarely.

Thinking about getting the same tank. or the 80G. Love the look of the shallow tanks. How are you liking it so far?

I love it, besides how tough they are to light.

Archived