Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Love the new tank shots! To echo everyone else, those yellow polyps are so cool! The color pops so nicely.

Thanks Jaime. It's hard to believe that a simple common coral could add so much to a tank but that splash of yellow really gives it some punch. All my prior tanks have lacked color but that one colony really has helped this tank.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This almost makes me want to sell a bunch of my corals and get seahorses again!

They have so much personality which helps make up for all the maintenance and limitations they have. There are so many cool corals and creatures that are not seahorse safe, but for now I am enjoying the things that are in their tank.

20151007_172626_zpsowd15g9e.jpg

Close up of Adam at the food bowl with new zoas.

20151007_172717_zpspz8iymal.jpg

Another close. You can see my entrusting gorg off to the left.

I am LOVING this!! Dawn, this looks so good! I love it all. Wonderful job.

I am LOVING this!! Dawn, this looks so good! I love it all. Wonderful job.

Thanks stella. I think I am finally loving my tank, ha ha! I have always loved aspects of my tanks but there were always things I was majorly unsatisfied with but I really like this tank. Of course I know there are way more beautiful tanks on NR and I don't put mine in the same league, but I am content with this one.

Thanks stella. I think I am finally loving my tank, ha ha! I have always loved aspects of my tanks but there were always things I was majorly unsatisfied with but I really like this tank. Of course I know there are way more beautiful tanks on NR and I don't put mine in the same league, but I am content with this one.

yours is right up there in my mind with the other tanks on NR. I love it!

Those yellow polyps :wub::wub:

Thats CRAZY awesome! Have we ever had a seahorse tank TOTM? :)

O my Harry, you are making me blush. And actually there have been 2 seahorse tanks that I think were TOTM, (Zia 's and felicia's) and they were way more beautiful than mine!

O my Harry, you are making me blush. And actually there have been 2 seahorse tanks that I think were TOTM, (Zia 's and felicia's) and they were way more beautiful than mine!

Have to correct you here. Eddie's (Zia) seahorse tank was TOTM. My TOTM was for my original 30 gallon reef though. Eddie and I both had a seahorse cube and a 30 gallon reef system, but we won TOTM for different systems. Dawn, this system should definitely be in the running for TOTM though because your husbandry skills are amazing. You win the award for having the healthiest and longest lived seahorses here on NR. I have a TON of respect for how difficult that is and how difficult it is to maintain the conditions for the seahorses and also keep the corals happy. My seahorse tank did great for a while and then I had sooo many struggles. The fact that you have kept yours going so well long term is a seriously impressive accomplishment! Don't be modest!

I also have to say that I just LOVE this change. Your original two tanks were beautiful, but I am in LOVE with this one!

Have to correct you here. Eddie's (Zia) seahorse tank was TOTM. My TOTM was for my original 30 gallon reef though. Eddie and I both had a seahorse cube and a 30 gallon reef system, but we won TOTM for different systems. Dawn, this system should definitely be in the running for TOTM though because your husbandry skills are amazing. You win the award for having the healthiest and longest lived seahorses here on NR. I have a TON of respect for how difficult that is and how difficult it is to maintain the conditions for the seahorses and also keep the corals happy. My seahorse tank did great for a while and then I had sooo many struggles. The fact that you have kept yours going so well long term is a seriously impressive accomplishment! Don't be modest!

I also have to say that I just LOVE this change. Your original two tanks were beautiful, but I am in LOVE with this one!

Thank you, and I don't even know what to say. It was yours and Eddie's seahorse tanks that inspired me to try seahorses. I just thought you both had the most awesome seahorse tanks that I had ever seen. I loved how you both achieved so much color and texture and so I have emulated that while trying to make the seahorses needs priority.

Anyway, that means so much to me that you 'love' this tank because I have a great respect for you as an aquarist. So, thank you again for the very kind words.

Yeah, what Felicia said :D

Thanks teeny. That is very nice of you!

Last night before I turned the moonlight LEDs off I noticed that Adam was feeling all frisky and chasing poor Eve all over the tank. She was more interested in chasing down some ghost shrimp for an evening snack than she was in a romantic rendezvous. Anyway, I am taking it as a good sign that Adam is on the mend!

I checked some of my parameters this morning. Ammonia is 0, phosphates are .25 if that and nitrates are 5. Without the clam and LPS, I don't see a reason to check alkalinity or calcium anymore. With doing approximately 40% (15 gallons) water changes per week, they should easily stay within limits. I may occasionally monitor magnesium though because the macro algae may use that up.

With 0 ammonia it would appear that the tank will not even go through a mini cycle, which is good for the ponies' sake.

I agree with the TOTM sentiment. This reef is gorgeous!!!!!

You still have some monticaps in there...big time alk/ca consumers. When you start noticing growth on them, or a growth spurt, I'd definitely keep an eye on ca and alk. I speak from monticap experience LOL.

I agree with the TOTM sentiment. This reef is gorgeous!!!!!You still have some monticaps in there...big time alk/ca consumers. When you start noticing growth on them, or a growth spurt, I'd definitely keep an eye on ca and alk. I speak from monticap experience LOL.

You are very kind gena! Thanks for the tip on the caps. I am not very experienced with them. They have not grown much since I got them, (which hasn't really been that long) and i didn't know that they could use up so much CA and alk. I still have my 2 part so it will be easily remedied.

20151009_141228_zpsaievcqep.jpg

A slight departure from my aquarium hobby to my 'other' hobby. As of last night this is what our single car garage looks like...and i love it. My bikes are the red and black Boulevard and the teal and silver Volusia, (in the very back). Dave's bikes are the '76 Honda and the silver Yamaha Stratoliner.

20151009_161615_zpspmgglvnt.jpg

This is my low tech, low energy consumption feeder ghost shrimp tank. It sit in front of a picture window and that is where the light comes from. I have kept macro algae in it for awhile but was pleased to see even the shrooms are doing ok in it. Baby, my clown is going to be given to a friend of mine but he is hangin' out with the feeders temporarily.

20151009_174512_zpsjd2nw2m2.jpg

Another low tech, low maintenance tank. This is the Feeder's breeder tank where all the shrimp that are too big for the seahorses to eat go. Hopefully they breed and give me a source of live food so I always have some on hand.

OMG...Dawn!!!!! That video :wub:.Just copy the URL

love all your other tanks too!!!!
I know, Adam, Eve and KB played up to the camera. They are so cute. And i guess the other tanks are ok for feeder tanks, ha ha!

Gena, when I go to youtube and my videos, how do I make it give me the URL? When I click on any of my videos it gives me the option to copy links but not the URL.

I know, Adam, Eve and KB played up to the camera. They are so cute. And i guess the other tanks are ok for feeder tanks, ha ha!

Gena, when I go to youtube and my videos, how do I make it give me the URL? When I click on any of my videos it gives me the option to copy links but not the URL.

I don't know if I know how to explain this easily LOL. But go to your video and just copy and paste from the bar at the top of the page. Click on this tiny photo below LOL.

post-25164-0-51764400-1444497151_thumb.png

I don't know if I know how to explain this easily LOL. But go to your video and just copy and paste from the bar at the top of the page. Click on this tiny photo below LOL.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-10 at 10.10.07 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-10 at 10.10.07 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-10 at 10.10.07 AM.png

Sorry I am so inept at all things tech, LOL. I blame my age but I will try what you said in future videos.

20151009_141228_zpsaievcqep.jpg

A slight departure from my aquarium hobby to my 'other' hobby. As of last night this is what our single car garage looks like...and i love it. My bikes are the red and black Boulevard and the teal and silver Volusia, (in the very back). Dave's bikes are the '76 Honda and the silver Yamaha Stratoliner.

You're a bad ass! :wub:

You're a bad ass! :wub:

Ha ha, yes I guess I am a bit. Most folks are shocked that I got my husband into motorcycles and I actually taught him how to ride!

Archived