Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also when you were raising the babies and hatching BBS what was your setup and schedule? I wanted to start a culture or two to help my mandarin because hes been getting skinny and having issues with fin loss despite being a pig and eating enriched frozen.

Also when you were raising the babies and hatching BBS what was your setup and schedule? I wanted to start a culture or two to help my mandarin because hes been getting skinny and having issues with fin loss despite being a pig and eating enriched frozen.

They have spawned about twice a month with a few breaks lately. I raised the very first group of fry. After that I set up to give the fry to a lfs owner for free.

Hatching baby brine is pretty easy. I bought a hatchery kit that uses a 2 liter pop bottle, air pump and light. I used decapsulated cysts but either will work and some cyst hatch in 24 hours at room temperature. They are only nutritious for 24 hours after hatching. After that the bbs have consumed their egg sac which is where the nutrition is, so the bbs must be enriched then. I fed them Dan's feed (from seahorse source) for 12 hours. 2 feedings, 12 hours a part is even better if possible. I also did daily water changes on the bbs and used a probiotic in the water to prevent pathogenic bacteria from taking hold. That may not have to be done daily for an adult mandarin as it is probably not as vulnerable to bacteria as seahorses, especially babies.

Did u grow any out or just fed bbs?

Mostly I just fed the bbs but I did grow some out halfway. I was never able to keep them long enough to grow to full adulthood.

Mostly I just fed the bbs but I did grow some out halfway. I was never able to keep them long enough to grow to full adulthood.

Hm interesting, ill give them a try one day.

Great pics- I could look at pipefish allday. I like the room shot too. Hope Adam comes around!

I like the pipefish too but it doesn't have as much personality as the seahorses. It is a cool creature though.

Thanks about the room shot. I guess our house reflects my husband and I's 50 something age but that is ok. I just think of us as almost being 'antique'.

I also am hoping for the best about Adam. We are away for the weekend so hopefully we come home to find 2 healthy seahorses.

Finally after 3 weeks or so I noticed that my sun coral was open this morning! I was so excited that I went to feed it right away and then the peppermints came and feasted. I have the top half of a plastic soda bottle over it but that does not seem to be discouraging the ravenous crustaceans. Even when I feed the ponies they creep in toward the food bowl like a pack of wolves surrounding a lone deer. Seahorses eat shrimp but these guys have grown enormous and so although nervous near the ponies, it does not stop them.

100_2036_zpsirkxttwc.jpg

A pic of Eggers the yellow cucumber. My hubby named it because he loves this little creature. He is kind of cute!

100_2042_zpsnb4sdpfi.jpg

I feel like my green slimer is losing some color.

100_2041_zpskao11qrf.jpg

The birdsnest is nice and fluffy but it doesn't have as much color either in my opinion.

100_2038_zpsityapv2o.jpg

This snake coral is one I bought years ago hoping it would multiply. O well.

100_2066_zpskvmqytwq.jpg

Adam looking very proud!

I love the macro algae in the first pic with Eggers. It is one that I don't see and it was a hitchhiker on the mushroom rock.

Finally after 3 weeks or so I noticed that my sun coral was open this morning! I was so excited that I went to feed it right away and then the peppermints came and feasted. I have the top half of a plastic soda bottle over it but that does not seem to be discouraging the ravenous crustaceans. Even when I feed the ponies they creep in toward the food bowl like a pack of wolves surrounding a lone deer. Seahorses eat shrimp but these guys have grown enormous and so although nervous near the ponies, it does not stop them.

Ha! I figured out how to beat the peppermint shrimp...I will use the top of the plastic pop bottle with a lid screwed on. That way I can squirt food into the top of the pop bottle, screw the lid on and the shrimp are locked out.

Eggers does not move very much which is kind of nice. I can put him/it in the front and he stays there. He is the same vibrant yellow as the yellow polyps though. My atlantic cucumber, Cukes motors all over the tank. That's why I wouldn't put him in a tank with koralias, too much chance of him being sucked in!

Those yellow polyps are sooooo yellow :wub:. Does the cucumber ever camouflage himself in them?

Try as I might I can never just post the video. Anyway here is a link to: a minute with Adam.

O boy, I am not sure what I copied. It is title a minute with Adam 2.

Hey, I might be on to something if this is a video of Eve!

I took those videos because the water looked so crisp and sparkly and then when I watched the video there was all this stuff floating and drifting through the tank, ha ha. Also it sounded like a waterfall on there. I can't imagine what it would sound like if the chiller were on?

I think I was able to feed the sun coral a little this morning using the pop bottle top. I drilled some small holes in it so I could squirt a mixture of photo feast, mysis, bbs cysts and cyclopese. I wonder how often I should feed it?

I think I was able to feed the sun coral a little this morning using the pop bottle top. I drilled some small holes in it so I could squirt a mixture of photo feast, mysis, bbs cysts and cyclopese. I wonder how often I should feed it?

Some say daily. I try every 3 days. It's not always open to feed though. I like the pop bottle top with holes in the lid idea!

Those are great vids- I like how they move and attach their tails to stop. I see my pipefish there in the back? do they ever get close to each and inspect each other? Tanks looking great too- full of corals

Some say daily. I try every 3 days. It's not always open to feed though. I like the pop bottle top with holes in the lid idea!

I would worry daily would add to an already heavy bioload on the tank. I think I will adopt your 'every 3 days' approach.

Those are great vids- I like how they move and attach their tails to stop. I see my pipefish there in the back do they ever get close to each and inspect each other? Tanks looking great too- full of corals

I tried to give both seahorses their moment in the limelight. I would feature Abraham the pipefish but he swims much faster and is hard to get a smooth video that you don't need dramimine after watching. He and the seahorses seem to ignore one another. However he is very inquisitive about the ghost shrimp I add to the tank. I think he is studying them and wondering if he is able to eat one.

Thanks in regard to the tank. I think it should be very pleasing to look at when stuff grows out a bit...like your tank!

Archived