inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

LOVED the videos :wub:.This tank is truly beautiful. I love everything about it :).

Wow, and that is exactly how I feel about your tank! Thank you Gena.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I was able to feed the sun coral a little this morning using the pop bottle top. I drilled some small holes in it so I could squirt a mixture of photo feast, mysis, bbs cysts and cyclopese. I wonder how often I should feed it?

The best way I've found is to do it at the same time daily until it is trained to stay open at that time. As long as it gets something every few days it'll be happy tho.

The best way I've found is to do it at the same time daily until it is trained to stay open at that time. As long as it gets something every few days it'll be happy tho.

Thanks Pinner, I worry about overfeeding although my skimmer is hugh. I will try to feed every few days first thing in the morning. What have you fed them? I know they eat mysis but do they eat little food like bb or phytofeast?

great update, look forward to watching videos when I get off work. the algae by eggers appears to be nemastoma sp. let it grow, let it grow!

Phyto will probably be too small for them. They might eat any BB that land on their tentacles. Overall any meaty they will eat.

Thank Mirya, that is kind of what I thought.

great update, look forward to watching videos when I get off work. the algae by eggers appears to be nemastoma sp. let it grow, let it grow!

Kylebeano, thanks for the ID on the algae. It is one I don't see often. It has been growing ever so slowly for about a year or more but I really like it's looks. I do plan to let it grow and grow and grow!

Ya definitely stick to the more meaty foods. Even up to small krill sized chunks.

Well the sun coral will have to be happy with mostly mysis then. When I took down the reef I gave away all my frozen chopped clam, krill and squid. Doh, I guess I should have kept a few cubes of each.

Everything looks great, but of course I'm going to comment on the slimer. Great polyp extension and it looks very happy. :)

So far so good. I used to wonder why folks got so googly eyed over sticks but I think I am starting to understand. I love the slimer perched on top of that pinnacle and I am anxious to see it grow and 'reach for the stars'. Of course I would really love for it to get that fabulous glowing neon green that yours is.

So far so good. I used to wonder why folks got so googly eyed over sticks but I think I am starting to understand. I love the slimer perched on top of that pinnacle and I am anxious to see it grow and 'reach for the stars'. Of course I would really love for it to get that fabulous glowing neon green that yours is.

I think it will, in time IMO. The more blue light the better. It will brown when conditions change but it's happy so the color should return. I do get the best green when conditions are killing my LPS corals, but it's still a really good green with higher PO4 and Nitrate. Since adding a little bag of GFO it's turned that impossible green again with bone white tips instead of yellowish. Unfortunately my chalices and some blastos are really showing signs of stress.

I think it will, in time IMO. The more blue light the better. It will brown when conditions change but it's happy so the color should return. I do get the best green when conditions are killing my LPS corals, but it's still a really good green with higher PO4 and Nitrate. Since adding a little bag of GFO it's turned that impossible green again with bone white tips instead of yellowish. Unfortunately my chalices and some blastos are really showing signs of stress.

I will keep all that in mind. I am sure I can be happy with just 'really good green' since I don't see myself being detailed oriented enough regarding the parameters to get 'impossible green'. Besides, I have a tankful of coral that like dirty-ish water and the seahorses are more than happy to oblige.

Ok, so i have been thinking (which is always dangerous) about moving my sump to the basement. There are definite advantages, 1. The chiller and it's noise will move out of my livingroom to the basement. 2. It's a little cooler down there so the chiller should run less. 3. I will convert my 20L into a sump and increase my water volume by 10 gallons plus have a more spacious sump to work in. 4. If I make RO/DI in the basement in the brute can on the dolly, I won't have to lug water. I can just mix the salt in the brute can, wheel it over to the tank and pump it into the sump. There is a drain right near where the sump will be so I can syphon the water out of the sump right into the drain. 5. With water changes happening in the basement all salt, buckets and syphon hoses will move out of the livingroom plus the tank cabinet can now hide towels, nets and test kits ect...thus uncluttering my livingroom.

If I keep the head loss distant to 10 ft or less I think I can continue to use my 9.5 mag drive return pump if I run just 1 bigger line up to the tank and just have 2 loc line splits at the top of the tank. Currently because I split the return right out of the pump into 2 lines, 1 going thru the chiller and 1 going thru the UV I lost a lot of flow. With a bigger sump I can use a small pump in the drain chamber for the chiller and UV and dump that water right in the return chamber.

It seems like a no brainer. Cost won't be a lot, just the wood for a stand to hold the sump and some plumbing. O yeah, some plexiglass and silicon to turn the 20L into a sump and a small Rio pump for the chiller and UV. I can not really think of a drawback except I just kind of liked having everything where I could see it all at once, (you know, turn the return pump off and watch it drain into the sump or turn the return pump on and watch it fill the tank up and begin draining) but that's not a biggie.

So, what do you think, does this sound like a good idea?

Was helping a friend move and had to pass the lfs on the way home. My hubby says," we should stop and see what they have". I heartily agreed. Came home with a cheap, sickly gorg that I am hoping to nurse back to health and some zoas.

I am no longer thinking maybe moving the sump to the basement? I am now thinking when should I move the sump to the basement? It would be nice before the Holidays but not sure I can pull that off, especially since next week we will be in FL. I have a Petco stand I bought for the baby seahorses last year and my hubby says with a good sturdy piece of plywood it will work for the sump. The cost of this project keeps coming down as I rummage through my aquarium relics.

I tested PO4 and NO3 yesterday. I have a few leathers that are not looking as full and happy as I thought they should. I was thinking that maybe they were starving, especially since I just redid the tank when I moved the seahorses into it. That apparently is not the problem since PO4 was .25 and nitrates were 10. Frankly with the amount of water changes I was surprised they were so high, especially the trates. It's is fine for my coral except maybe the slimer and birdsnest and the seahorses are ok there. It just makes me nervous knowing that to keep it there requires such big WCs. I did 28 gallons this week!

I am no longer thinking maybe moving the sump to the basement? I am now thinking when should I move the sump to the basement? It would be nice before the Holidays but not sure I can pull that off, especially since next week we will be in FL. I have a Petco stand I bought for the baby seahorses last year and my hubby says with a good sturdy piece of plywood it will work for the sump. The cost of this project keeps coming down as I rummage through my aquarium relics.

If you re-use your mag drive, then you'll save even more. I don't see any reason why you can't, because I can't imagine the distance being more than the max head loss of the mag 9.5! According to their flow specs, you should be able to get your 10x turnover. :)

Yes, I thought of that and will probably start out with the Mag drive 9.5. The mag drive 12 has the same output so if I am a little disappointed in the flow from the 9.5 I should be able to swap the 12 using the same plumbing and hopefully get the increased flow I want.

So, I have spent more time than I like to admit looking at online plumbing parts. There is so much aquarium specific plumbing for flex tubing that I am amazed. This should be so much easier than my previous 2 aquariums that I tried to plumb using only what I could find at a big box store. I am also exploring a flow excelerator instead of just a dual nozzle loc-line with fins. Also I am considering using a 40B as a sump because then I could have my ATO reservoir incorporated in the sump. Of course I would have to feel real confident that my silicon partition would not leak, ha ha! I will have to think on that one awhile.

just watched the videos on the previous page. this tank is so pretty....!!!

Thank you Lizz! It's kind of common with ordinary coral but I like it.

I love watching your videos :) They just make me happy.

Your new avatar makes me happy! I will try and take a new video before the end of the week. Not much has changed in the tank and I try to keep the videos short so as not to bore the viewer. Maybe I will try to feature the tank as a whole rather than just a portion of it.

Your new avatar makes me happy! I will try and take a new video before the end of the week. Not much has changed in the tank and I try to keep the videos short so as not to bore the viewer. Maybe I will try to feature the tank as a whole rather than just a portion of it.

I'm not sure it is possible to bore the viewer!!! Honestly, with all the movement and beings you have in there, the videos are just so awesome to watch.

HA to the avatar :) i figured winter was on the way.

Archived