Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

You work fast! This looks amazing. Love the scape and the corals already look so happy. Glad it went so smoothly for you. Hope Adam does well in the new digs. I'm still sending him positive vibes!

Btw, I never really notice the yellow corals in your old set-ups. Are those yellow palys? They seriously pop now!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleased with how accessible the sides and back of the tank are for scraping. That should make it easier for me to keep the algae under control as it really got away from me in the 30g XH. A lesson learned. It does make the scape a bit ordinary but hopefully the corals dress it up!

You work fast! This looks amazing. Love the scape and the corals already look so happy. Glad it went so smoothly for you. Hope Adam does well in the new digs. I'm still sending him positive vibes!

Btw, I never really notice the yellow corals in your old set-ups. Are those yellow palys? They seriously pop now!

Thank Felicia. Yepper, I may take a long time to decide what I really want but once I have decided, I move on it. The yellow coral was fairly new in the reef. I got them from a hobbyist who tore his tank down about a month ago. They are just yellow polyps but I agree, they really pop. I have some credit coming from a lfs and I plan to get more gorgonians.

20151005_154648_zpsn7ojv2b9.jpg

A better pic with the lights on! The corals made the move pretty well and as far as I can tell so did the other creatures, fish, shrimp, seahorses, snails and cucumbers.

I am going to bump my new seahorse garden.

We're the same way. I take my time and do my research before making a decision, but then once I'm decided I want it to happen right that minute.

More gorgonians are always better! :)

Those simple polyps really have quite the pop! I love them in there!

Looks really good. Almost makes me want to move my upgrade along faster! Almost...

Thanks kimber. Your tanks are looking great and I am sure when you consolidate it will be amazing!

We're the same way. I take my time and do my research before making a decision, but then once I'm decided I want it to happen right that minute.

More gorgonians are always better! :)

Those simple polyps really have quite the pop! I love them in there!

One can never have too many gorgs. The lfs has some of the really fuzzy ones and I don't have any like that. I am also a sucker for anything that waves in the current...which the yellow polyps do too!

20151005_154648_zpsn7ojv2b9.jpg

A better pic with the lights on! The corals made the move pretty well and as far as I can tell so did the other creatures, fish, shrimp, seahorses, snails and cucumbers.

That turned out amazing :wub:. I think those are the prettiest yellow polyps I've EVER seen!

That turned out amazing :wub:. I think those are the prettiest yellow polyps I've EVER seen!

Thanks gena. I am pretty happy with everything and so relieved to have a smaller less complicated system. The hobbyist that I got the yellow polyps from sold me that whole colony for $10 and I have always liked them.

Dawn, I really like your new aquascape. All that vertical should make for some good hitching post mounts.

Really like the new scape - great job!

Thanks Pinner and Sk8n, I got a lot of practice scaping on the fly when I serviced FOWLR tanks that I bleached the coral skeletons. I guess all that practice paid off. I am pleased with this scape, although I would like it better if I could make the overflow blend into the background more. Then the height difference between the 2 spires would be more obvious. It has a little more negative space on the sand than the reef had but I think I used enough large rocks to give the tank biological stability. Removing the 5" DSB gave me more vertical space to work with. I hope the ponies appreciate all the different hitches I built in for them.

I just wanted to add how good the scape and colors look, very natural and a great backdrop for seahorses!

I like the super rare black cup coral on the bottom left. :lol:

The pipefish is awesome as well, love the way you can see him swimming around in just about every FTS.

I just wanted to add how good the scape and colors look, very natural and a great backdrop for seahorses!

I like the super rare black cup coral on the bottom left. :lol:

The pipefish is awesome as well, love the way you can see him swimming around in just about every FTS.

Thanks Mark. My other seahorse tank always seemed to have more color than the reef because of the macro algae. I guess there is more than 1 way to get color. I decided against adding cheato and fern caulerpa though as they are both messy and the corals add green.

I would send you a frag of that super rare black cup coral except they are impossible to cut, LOL.

I am really beginning to love the pipefish for the reasons you stated. He adds activity/movement and color which the seahorses are lacking. The royal gramma should also add at least color but KB is a bit of a shrinking violet as far as showing off. Maybe now that it is only he and Gobbles, he will become more outgoing?

What did you use to hold the rocks together with the new scape?

On the right side I just moved the spire that had been in the right side of the seahorse tank. It basically consists of only 2 rocks that link together although I needed a shim-rock at the base since I no longer have a DSB.

On the left side I used a massive dense rock(that I had in the reef) on the bottom and the structure I had siliconed together for in the prior seahorse tank. Again the lighter structure just interlocked on the massive structure. I am kind of surprised that I could get that much height without permanently attaching anything. Both upper rocks are fairly light so should they fall, it should be ok. Being detachable will aid in husbandry for the seahorses though since I can temporarily move the upper portion of either structure to scrape the back wall and sides.

The credit I got for taking my 'un-safe for seahorse' corals to the lfs was burning a hole in my pocket. So i went shopping and it was so much fun. I came home with 4 gorgs, 3 different zoas, and a sun coral frag. This is probably the most corals I have ever had in a tank and I am really liking it. Adam and Eve seem to like it too because there are places to hitch everywhere!

Sounds great! Any pictures yet?

I'm glad Adam and Eve are doing well in their new home :)

I hope to take some pics this afternoon, (although Wednesdays are always busy for me).

It makes me so happy to see Adam improving and doing well in their new home.

20151007_172508_zpsh4tddvds.jpg

Right side FTS Gotta love the gorgs!

Wow, it looks fantastic. I love the natural colors.

Thanks. Actually the real color is even better. This is definitely the most colorful I have been able to make a tank. It was the most depth I have ever been able to achieve as well. There are still a few places to add more coral too.

Archived