SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Pretty sure thats not good for you, read a few articles on that before.

Both tanks look awesome though :)

Wow, that surprises me since it is merely more filtered tap water. Maybe because the fluoride that municipal water adds get filtered out?

Thanks Harry for the kind words about the tanks! I am pretty satisfied with them but am excited about placing an order with KPA. I am sure that will enhance the reef.

20150901_201841_zps2bf20e5a.jpg20150901_201814_zpsfc685a53.jpg

September FTSs of the tanks.

Is it egotistical to bump my own pics to the top of a page?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure thats not good for you, read a few articles on that before.

Both tanks look awesome though :)

That's correct, the problem is that the stuff is so pure it grabs minerals from your body. So you cannot consume it as a staple.

If, however, you make coffee or tea with they taste sooo much better. And the ice cubes are so the Whiskey isn't tainted by the tap impurities. ;)

Edit: Nope, not egotistical

That's correct, the problem is that the stuff is so pure it grabs minerals from your body. So you cannot consume it as a staple.

If, however, you make coffee or tea with they taste sooo much better. And the ice cubes are so the Whiskey isn't tainted by the tap impurities. ;)

Edit: Nope, not egotistical

Ok good to know. I will just enjoy it as an occasional treat. Hey, at my age I have certainly done worse to my body! LOL

Wow, that surprises me since it is merely more filtered tap water. Maybe because the fluoride that municipal water adds get filtered out?

Thanks Harry for the kind words about the tanks! I am pretty satisfied with them but am excited about placing an order with KPA. I am sure that will enhance the reef.

Is it egotistical to bump my own pics to the top of a page?

Not egotistical, but I was going to do it anyway :)

Both tanks look great!

Not egotistical, but I was going to do it anyway :)

Both tanks look great!

Ahh thanks, that was nice of you. It's the thought that counts. :-)

As I am setting up my tanks with battery back ups for our weekend out of town I noticed my top off reservoir had floaters. Actually when I got the 5.5g reservoir tank out of the stand it was really grungy and disgusting! I guess I should empty and scrub it down occasionally. I will check all the equipment, do WCs today and tomorrow and my sister will be by to feed the seahorses and reef. I am not really stressed for this trip.

I added some new caribsea aragonite sand in the reef. I rinsed it 3Xs but the tanks are a cloudy mess at the moment. It contains not only carbonate buffer but calcium, stronium, magnesium, molybdenum and potassium. It is course than my previous sand but I mixed some of the original surface sand in so as to not smother all the biological fauna. I don't want to trigger a mini cycle right now before our trip.

Good luck on your trip! I always worry about my topoff water getting yucky. Since I always use RODI, though, it always stays clear and doesn't get anything in it.

Good luck on your trip! I always worry about my topoff water getting yucky. Since I always use RODI, though, it always stays clear and doesn't get anything in it.

Yes my top off is all RO/DI now but it was a mixture of tap and RO/DI. Also I use a 5.5g aquarium to hold the top off with no lid. It is in the cabinet of my seahorse tank though so I guess I don't need a lid or cover?

The last WC has been done, food for both seahorses and reef has been premeasured, ATO reservoir has been filled, skimmer cup was cleaned, battery back up aerators are installed: so I think I am ready to head south bright and early tomorrow morning. I will see you all Wednesday!

Hi everyone! We are back but it was a rough trip with my bike. We discovered in bumper to bumper Labor Day traffic that my bike still has a problem. She kept going to the hotel though so we parked them for the weekend and let our kids cart us around, ha ha! Yesterday we left Nashville at 5:45 am hoping to get home before the worst heat because that seems to be a contributor to my bike's woes. It would have worked but unfortunately we had to deal with 2 traffic accidents which backed traffic up. The first was right near a rest stop so we waited that one out however no such luck with the 2nd. The good news is it was only about 35 miles from home, however the bad news is my bike was done. It would not start even after it cooled off. Dave rode home, got the car and our dog and came back for me and the luggage. (I am the pack mule on trips as his bike has no room). So now she is in the shop.

The tanks were fine and all else seems well.

Sorry about the bike. Did you drive through Cincy? Traffic around here stinks, and it was HOT!

We did drive around Cincy using the bypass. Even that was busy but moving steady.

Man, you can't get a break with your bike! Hope it's an easy fix for ya.

I feel like this might be the death throes for my bike. It turned over 65K this trip and its an '03 when most bikes still had carburetors. I heard that 70K is about the lifespan of those bikes. It doesn't really make sense to put big money in a bike that is probably only worth a couple of thousand at this point. Also I am starting to lose confidence in it. It is very stressful to be in an unfamiliar city and it is threatening to die at any moment on a busy road.

O yeah, did I mention that my tablet was stolen out of my backpack on this trip? I think it was at the rest stop in OH. That was really crappy because we were both tired when we finally got home and when we found that we had to change all our passwords to everything.

Gah, that sucks about the tablet. :( Hopefully someone can rebuild or at least find out and fix the engine, seems like a motorcycle should be able to run forever.

I feel like this might be the death throes for my bike. It turned over 65K this trip and its an '03 when most bikes still had carburetors. I heard that 70K is about the lifespan of those bikes. It doesn't really make sense to put big money in a bike that is probably only worth a couple of thousand at this point. Also I am starting to lose confidence in it. It is very stressful to be in an unfamiliar city and it is threatening to die at any moment on a busy road.O yeah, did I mention that my tablet was stolen out of my backpack on this trip? I think it was at the rest stop in OH. That was really crappy because we were both tired when we finally got home and when we found that we had to change all our passwords to everything.

Dang, sorry about having the tablet stolen- that's the worse. Well, maybe you can get a cheap fix and sell it- then.......new bike time? sucks but exciting at the same time- have you thought about what you'd want to get?

Dang, sorry about having the tablet stolen- that's the worse. Well, maybe you can get a cheap fix and sell it- then.......new bike time sucks but exciting at the same time- have you thought about what you'd want to get?

Yeah, I can't be without a bike. Its a non-negotiable. If my bike is not worth fixing I would go with a bike with the same body style, long and wide and a similar size. I like the wide gas tank, wide tires and low engine weight. My bike will almost stand balanced by itself and it has a nice smooth ride to only be an 800cc. I know I don't want a bike that is any heavier than mine. I am not getting any younger. The year after my bike, Suzuki came out with the Boulevard series and the C50 is my bike 1year later so that would be a consideration. Honda Shadow deluxe's are nice too and a similar body shape. I doubt I will go new this time, I will look for a low mileage bike that the owner thought they would ride but then just never did.

Yeah, I can't be without a bike. Its a non-negotiable. If my bike is not worth fixing I would go with a bike with the same body style, long and wide and a similar size. I like the wide gas tank, wide tires and low engine weight. My bike will almost stand balanced by itself and it has a nice smooth ride to only be an 800cc. I know I don't want a bike that is any heavier than mine. I am not getting any younger. The year after my bike, Suzuki came out with the Boulevard series and the C50 is my bike 1year later so that would be a consideration. Honda Shadow deluxe's are nice too and a similar body shape. I doubt I will go new this time, I will look for a low mileage bike that the owner thought they would ride but then just never did.

I dunno what all that means, but surely a new bike would be fun!

I dunno what all that means, but surely a new bike would be fun!

Motorcycling is a lot of fun. It makes me feel a little like a pioneer when we head across country on them. Not only do you see the lay of the land but you can even smell it and feel it. Iowa smells like corn and Kansas can have a stiff head wind at times. Its not for everyone though. It is very dangerous and getting more so all the time...what with congestion and more motorist plus folks texting and driving. I have lost 3 friends and 1 acquaintance to motorcycle accidents.

I hosted some local reefers from our local forum yesterday and it was so much fun. Some of them brought frags and everyone just swapped and talked "all things aquarium" over coffee and brownies. I got a hollywood stunner and a light blue paly that were pretty cool. Also one of the guys who has a 120g sps tank offered me some green slimer the next time he frags. It was pretty neat.

Archived