SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

100_1919_zpsy1nvju3r.jpg

October FTS of the seahorse tank. Tomorrow marks the 1st anniversary of getting Adam and Eve. Unfortunately Adam is celebrating the big event in the hospital tank again with a regiment of tetracycline.

20141121_172154_zps07740b20.jpg

This is what the tank looked like a year ago!

20141121_172006_zpsbaacb10a.jpg

Everything is less crowded and more maintenance friendly nowadays.

100_1920_zps4cgduz6b.jpg

And of course the reef needs some love too! October FTS.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Adam! You can beat that nasty infection! Tanks are looking good as always Dawn. Stick with him I'm sure you can nurse him back to 100%

Come on Adam! You can beat that nasty infection! Tanks are looking good as always Dawn. Stick with him I'm sure you can nurse him back to 100%

I am trying Pinner with everything I know. I hope I can nurse him back to a 100%. Eve and I can't imagine life without him!

Thanks teeny, we can use all the prayers you send us. I am sure good vibes can't hurt either.

:flower: Sending good vibes and prayers for Adam! He'll be back with Eve in no time with the care you are giving him.

I have come to a very big decision that I have been pondering for some time now...I am going to consolidate down to just 1 tank, a seahorse tank. I will choose the 36 bowfront and keep seahorse safe corals and the royal gramma. I need smaller water changes plus I believe having both returns back in the 36g tank will be healthier for the seahorses both in terms of higher flow and twice as much turnover in the sump, thus utilizing my skimmer better for the seahorses benefit. I have been dragging my feet because I really love my hand raised clown and the midas blenny but this needs to happen.

Happy one year anniversary to Adam and Eve! Sorry they have to spend it separated, but I'm sure you'll manage to get Adam back into tip top shape soon. Those bacterial infections are the hardest part of keeping seahorses I think. Luckily you've been well prepared and able to treat immediately, so I bet you caught it soon enough.

Consolidation seems like a good plan. Keeping up with two tanks is a lot of work and there are a lot of considerations with one of them being a seahorse tank. Good luck!

Good luck with the consolidation! I'm sure you'll be happier with the result but I know it was a hard decision.

Thanks teeny. Well, the deal has been sealed because I took all the corals that are not seahorse safe to a new store in my area. I took the midas blenny too but I am going to give Baby, my hand raised clown a chance to stay if he behaves himself. I am not sorry yet so I am thinking that I definitely made the right choice.

Happy one year anniversary to Adam and Eve! Sorry they have to spend it separated, but I'm sure you'll manage to get Adam back into tip top shape soon. Those bacterial infections are the hardest part of keeping seahorses I think. Luckily you've been well prepared and able to treat immediately, so I bet you caught it soon enough.

Consolidation seems like a good plan. Keeping up with two tanks is a lot of work and there are a lot of considerations with one of them being a seahorse tank. Good luck!

Keeping up 2 tanks was too much and it will be a relief to be down to just 1. I know some things about seahorses and keeping the sides and back accessible to wipe down also so I won't crowd this tank with too much rock.

I hope Adam will be ok. He is not responding to treatment the way I would like. This morning he delivered his babies but I had to let them go as I have my hands full and my animals are the priority right now.

I have come to a very big decision that I have been pondering for some time now...I am going to consolidate down to just 1 tank, a seahorse tank. I will choose the 36 bowfront and keep seahorse safe corals and the royal gramma. I need smaller water changes plus I believe having both returns back in the 36g tank will be healthier for the seahorses both in terms of higher flow and twice as much turnover in the sump, thus utilizing my skimmer better for the seahorses benefit. I have been dragging my feet because I really love my hand raised clown and the midas blenny but this needs to happen.

Sorry to hear about Adam's infection :(. Consolidating down to 1 tank sounds like a good plan though. Small water changes is always nice!

Yeah, I'm with you on two tanks being too much work. I'm really enjoying just having the one! I can focus my attention on it and actually enjoy it. I'm sure just having a seahorse tank will be great for you!

I'm sorry to hear Adam isn't recovering yet. I will keep sending positive vibes for him to get better. I know you're giving him amazing care, so I'm optimistic he'll recover for you. Hang in there, Adam!

Looks like a few of us suffer from MTS and need treatment!! I'm sorry to hear Adam is still not feeling well, but I'm sure you're giving him the best care you can!

She's so pretty! I love how her color is similar to the mushrooms in the background :wub:.

The seahorses' ability to blend in is so amazing that I don't see them even when they are front and center sometimes!

Looks like a few of us suffer from MTS and need treatment!! I'm sorry to hear Adam is still not feeling well, but I'm sure you're giving him the best care you can!

Well kimber, I am officially cured, (at least temporarily) from MTS. Last night I tore the system apart, strip down the reef and redesigned it to house seahorses. The 30g XH will go into storage in our basement just in case I find myself in withdrawal from having only 1 tank.

Sorry to hear about Adam's infection :(. Consolidating down to 1 tank sounds like a good plan though. Small water changes is always nice!

Thanks Jaime! Having 2 tanks plumbed together I always worried about a disaster that impact both tanks especially when I go away. It would be almost impossible to talk my fish sitter through a potential problem. Now everything is simple again, (more or less :-)

Well kimber, I am officially cured, (at least temporarily) from MTS. Last night I tore the system apart, strip down the reef and redesigned it to house seahorses. The 30g XH will go into storage in our basement just in case I find myself in withdrawal from having only 1 tank.

Wow! That was fast! I hope this works out to be much easier like you'd hoped!

Wow! That was fast! I hope this works out to be much easier like you'd hoped!

20151005_091134_zps2eyup0am.jpg

Yes, executing the transfer was pretty fast. I needed to tear down the reef and move the seahorses in the bowfront both at the same time. I centered the 1 tank where there had been 2 and I did not want to move the bowfront when it had water in it. That meant that I really needed to scape on the fly but it turned out pretty well. I was able to use the larger rocks but the tank still has some negative space. With both returns and the big koralia PH there is excellant flow everywhere with gentle flow where their feed dish is. This should be a very healthy tank for the seahorses. I have returned Adam in the display tank as i am worried that he has not been eating. I hope he does ok. Baby, my clown did not behave himself so he is in the 10 shrimp tank. :-( That's the only negative I have with the consolidation.

Nice!!

What did Baby do? Just bother/attack Adam and Eve?

Baby was attacking KB, the royal gramma even before I made the transfer so I made the decision that he definitely could not go in with the seahorses. It's funny because Baby always seemed docile while I had King Midas, the blenny. King Midas was mostly benevolent but seemed to keep everyone in check.

20151005_154648_zpsn7ojv2b9.jpg

A better pic with the lights on! The corals made the move pretty well and as far as I can tell so did the other creatures, fish, shrimp, seahorses, snails and cucumbers.

Archived