Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks man, Ya that's the worst part not knowing. I have a fair amount of rocks in my sump and we pulled them all out and checked through everything. Now I am kinda feeling like I would like another one- really neat fish. What lurks in the shadows though .......

Wow sorry Chris- that's a lot of time with a fish. Any signs he was having any problems?

Yeah that is pretty crazy, in a smaller tank like that you'd think you would have noticed it, but if you have a decent CUC they will make quick work of a body....

Nope, he was healthy as can be, was active and looking good the night before and there weren't any signs of illness/injury and I don't believe disease to have been an issue as nothing has been added to that system in probably 4-5+ months and his only other tank mate (for like a year) besides coral was a molly and I highly doubt he took down the big dude lol

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

Wait..... you have a sump with your IM16??????

Sorry no- I always call the back filter my sump- just wishing I had a sump to play with I guess

Sorry no- I always call the back filter my sump- just wishing I had a sump to play with I guess

Ohhhh. Got ya. For a second, I thought I missed sump upgrade part lol

When You say rocks, you mean live rock rubble or something like Seachem Matrix bio rocks?

Sk8n Reefer

Ohhhh. Got ya. For a second, I thought I missed sump upgrade part lol

When You say rocks, you mean live rock rubble or something like Seachem Matrix bio rocks?

Hahaha- I wish the nuvo had a sump upgrade- that's be sweet. I have about 2 decent size pieces and about 10 rubble size pieces spread about- full of ball anenomes ,sponges and tube worms. It's not lite though

Hahaha- I wish the nuvo had a sump upgrade- that's be sweet. I have about 2 decent size pieces and about 10 rubble size pieces spread about- full of ball anenomes ,sponges and tube worms. It's not lite though

You actually do have a fuge back there lol

I had no idea. Sponges are great at filtering water. Of cause, there have to be significant amount of them to make it count. But any little bit helps right. If you don't mind, lay out your back compartment setup. Not sure where you have all those rock placed.

I am still puzzled about ruby. You mentioned peppers disappeared once before but now it is a platter.

Sk8n Reefer

You actually do have a fuge back there lol

I had no idea. Sponges are great at filtering water. Of cause, there have to be significant amount of them to make it count. But any little bit helps right. If you don't mind, lay out your back compartment setup. Not sure where you have all those rock placed.

I am still puzzled about ruby. You mentioned peppers disappeared once before but now it is a platter.

Ya- somewhat of a fuge! ? first chambers with stock media racks - I cut of the 3rd container in my media rack on the right side- this allows for one good size rock and a little rubble . Next two chambers house my heater on the right - works even though that is a heavy flow area and my IM desktop media reactor on the left. I have one larger rock in there with the heater and some more rubble. Then my main compartment holds the Sicce1.5 and a fair amount of rubble . Plenty of pods cruising around too ?. Ya we took everything out of the sump yesterday but didn't find the little guy. My peppermints only lasted a few days ?

I've even been thinking about stretching to a 36x36x24 cube- the extra depth wouldnt be to much of a big deal- I would want to leave atleast a foot of open water and not really have high light demands in that area. So that nanobox highbred with 4 T5's would still do the trick ! It would really open up scape possibilities - I think that's about 135gal.

omgomgomg that sounds awesome! The thing I like about cubes is they can be large volume tanks but still have a "smaller"

tank look about them :).

Sorry about your ruby red dragonet. I JUST picked one up on Thursday. Hearing this news makes me worried :scarry:.

Wow, I missed a lot.

Sorry about the fish and the silly dragon scale frag. I think a lot of the harder acros need such a stable environment it's not worth the effort to try and keep them alive, especially when there are similar varieties that are more captive tolerant.

Sk8n Reefer

omgomgomg that sounds awesome! The thing I like about cubes is they can be large volume tanks but still have a "smaller"

tank look about them :).

Sorry about your ruby red dragonet. I JUST picked one up on Thursday. Hearing this news makes me worried :scarry:.

Thanks Gena, the Ruby reds are awesome little fish. Still no idea what happened but I think I would try another one again. Ya , still toying with the idea of what size cube would be a good build but in no hurry- still really enjoy the Nuvo and the ease of maintenance ? with this size tank. Probably always have it running even if I upgrade
Sk8n Reefer

Wow, I missed a lot.

Sorry about the fish and the silly dragon scale frag. I think a lot of the harder acros need such a stable environment it's not worth the effort to try and keep them alive, especially when there are similar varieties that are more captive tolerant.

Thanks Mark - the one Dragon scale frag is still doing well- what would you say is another similar looking frag that is more captive tolerant? I really like the "look" of the DS. This was a freshly cut frag not even mounted - maybe that didn't help also. I've gone to 1 gal. w/c's a day or a couple days- really easy to do. Trying to change out about 5-7 gal. a week( about 35-45%) and do it in a way that has minimal impact on the tank. Hopefully that will keep everyone happy! Been kicking around the idea of a skimmer but don't mind the w/c schedule - so far

Thanks Mark - the one Dragon scale frag is still doing well- what would you say is another similar looking frag that is more captive tolerant? I really like the "look" of the DS. This was a freshly cut frag not even mounted - maybe that didn't help also. I've gone to 1 gal. w/c's a day or a couple days- really easy to do. Trying to change out about 5-7 gal. a week( about 35-45%) and do it in a way that has minimal impact on the tank. Hopefully that will keep everyone happy! Been kicking around the idea of a skimmer but don't mind the w/c schedule - so far

I'm not an expert on any acro so I can't really answer. If an acro dies on me I call it difficult and move on. :D I've had a few types that seem to need better params than I can offer. I've never been able to run a stable small tank so I'm not help there either. I moved to 150 gallons because I think it's my only chance to grow colorful acros.

Sk8n Reefer

I'm not an expert on any acro so I can't really answer. If an acro dies on me I call it difficult and move on. :D I've had a few types that seem to need better params than I can offer. I've never been able to run a stable small tank so I'm not help there either. I moved to 150 gallons because I think it's my only chance to grow colorful acros.

Well it's working for Ya! I'll give it the same enviroment I always have and hope for the best. ?
Sk8n Reefer

Sorry to hear about the Ruby Red :( I hate the mystery disappearances too.

Thanks Jaime, Ya , it hit my wife hard- she was really working on getting the Ruby eating prepared foods and was successful. I am thinking I would try another though - there such a neat fish.

Thanks Jaime, Ya , it hit my wife hard- she was really working on getting the Ruby eating prepared foods and was successful. I am thinking I would try another though - there such a neat fish.

Such a mystery! No weight loss at all? I thought mine was gone yesterday. Everytime I looked I didn't see her.

But then at the end of the day she came out. I'm worried long term though after reading your experience :(.

Sk8n Reefer

Such a mystery! No weight loss at all? I thought mine was gone yesterday. Everytime I looked I didn't see her.But then at the end of the day she came out. I'm worried long term though after reading your experience :(.

He was actually gaining some weight and filling in- took a liking to micro pellets- you could watch em eating them up and my pod population is very healthy. I worry about a large ball anenome - I had some that where a good quarter in diameter - maybe a little more. Not sure what kinda pack they bunch hope one didn't sting em . That would be the only thing I am questioning if adding another one. I'll have to read up on them and see if they can kill a fish.

He was actually gaining some weight and filling in- took a liking to micro pellets- you could watch em eating them up and my pod population is very healthy. I worry about a large ball anenome - I had some that where a good quarter in diameter - maybe a little more. Not sure what kinda pack they bunch hope one didn't sting em . That would be the only thing I am questioning if adding another one. I'll have to read up on them and see if they can kill a fish.

That sounds plausible. I worry about the RFAs in my tank with mine. Or maybe the collection went wrong somehow and he ended up with some internal injuries that just took a while to show their effects.

Either way it stinks. He was such a cutie and looked great in your tank!

Sk8n Reefer

That sounds plausible. I worry about the RFAs in my tank with mine. Or maybe the collection went wrong somehow and he ended up with some internal injuries that just took a while to show their effects.Either way it stinks. He was such a cutie and looked great in your tank!

Ya , I am going with some internal issue. When we saw them he was with 4 others and we got ours - next weekend when we went back all 4 were already dead- didn't make me feel to safe! I just checked your thread- Post up some picks of yours when you get a chance ?

Nano sapiens

Kinda lost track in here, but looks like you lost the Scooter without warning. Often a mystery as to why this happens...

Sk8n Reefer

Kinda lost track in here, but looks like you lost the Scooter without warning. Often a mystery as to why this happens...

Yes- total bummer- little fellow was doing so good. Traded in the big birdnest and rescaped with some new Acro frags- that's kinda what's been happening. New dragon scale still doing well after losing part of it. ?

Sk8n Reefer

Had a tough couple of weeks with the tank losing some of my dragon scale and our beloved Ruby Red. Thought I'd post some happier pics of the tank still doing really well.

Here' the dragon scale seemingly staying healthy- tough to capture the colors on this one

rZmCEr9.jpg

Purple stylo and idaho grape battling it out. Neither one is to aggressive- you can see the stylo's stingers but it doesn't do a ton of damage to the grape

DjBYIRa.jpg

Zoos and shrooms living in harmony ?

NVSrVba.jpg

Bubblegum showing nice color

z6bJIdb.jpg

Encrusting monti - hidden amongst the sticks

IF7mV34.jpg

Blue Acro holding it's color

Fx4sBPk.jpg

One of my favs- green with purple rim cap- getting quite large and is the centerpiece of the tank

kGsDGkA.jpg

Spongnode - looks like a type of alien life form ?

Aiz26hP.jpg

YybHahB.jpg

Blue green digi sprouting up all over

SKb0fYc.jpg

What are you using for image hosting that last set of pics? Wondering if you changed again cause work is blocking these, but not what you posted on the last page. Guess I'll have to look again when I get home!

Sk8n Reefer

What are you using for image hosting that last set of pics? Wondering if you changed again cause work is blocking these, but not what you posted on the last page. Guess I'll have to look again when I get home!

Ya, these pics are posted from Imgur. I've posted the last group from photobucket but imgur keeps the quality high and is really easy to use

Ya, these pics are posted from Imgur. I've posted the last group from photobucket but imgur keeps the quality high and is really easy to use

That's what I use and like it. ;)

Awesome pics as always buddy. Spongnode looks sweet.

Archived