inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

It had to be some sort of reaction to water parameters, flow, light or all above.

I started off by low placement. Pretty much on the sand bed. It was fine for several weeks. Then rapid lost of tissue from bottom up. Changed its location to higher light and stronger flow but it doesn't seem to do the trick. I will try to frag what's left of it and see if anything can be saved.

Ya, that's about all we can do- I am in the same boat! Ck'd in with the wife and the other frag is still doing well. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

Seeing that BN makes me wonder how big mine would have gotten had I not split it in half multiple times. I actually sold 90% of it when I upgraded but that 10% is growing like mad. Haha

Hope the coral stays healthy, I'm rootin for yah!

Thanks ! Ya that type of bird is a growing machine for sure. I fragged it about 3 months ago and that frag is in a lower light area and has easily tripled in size ?. Ya I am hoping the dragon scale pulls through- a colony looks awesome! Appreciate the support !
Sk8n Reefer

Here's a shot of my pink stylo- I was a little worried about its new placement- completely different setting for it. It went from the middle bottom to the top left- different flow and lighting. It's still gets some light from the AI Nano but mostly on one side. It's color has stayed and it's healing up on one branch that got a little damage in the rescape.

vNt3CN2.jpg

Our Tailspot commanding I take a photo of him

kqonL6f.jpg

This sponge? Was growing under my cap- I moved the cap and it's still doing well- probably not liking being exposed to light though

6nVgJbn.jpg

Hidden in the back season's greetings is growing into a nice piece- about 3.5" in diameter

edfa853437d78886dca019ed53f145d5_zps9c8e

Sk8n Reefer

It's the world of sticks in here B) seriously nice color and collection you've got. Now I feel like I should brave a blue acro.

Thank you! Yes - world of sticks- I like that?. The blue Acro is new for me - I've tried to give it some prime real estate in the center and good area for flow- gotta keep fragging the green Poci so it would sting it- very aggressive coral ?.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that Dragon Scale. It's a really cool piece! Your tank is looking incredible, as always. I'm still very new to this hobby and Dryland recommended that I follow your tank. Now I can see why! lol Your tank is a flagship example of proper reefing.

Keep up the good work!

Sk8n Reefer

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that Dragon Scale. It's a really cool piece! Your tank is looking incredible, as always. I'm still very new to this hobby and Dryland recommended that I follow your tank. Now I can see why! lol Your tank is a flagship example of proper reefing.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Tsubatsu! Very nice of you to say- Dryland has a sweet looking tank himself. I have one small dragon scale frag left so hopefully it will behave and start growing!! Thanks for checking things out- if I can help in anyway feel free to ask ? Do you have a build thread I can check out?
BOBBARKER68

Saw you visited my build, so thought i would check out yours. Looks very nice, nice pics. How do you like that tank i almost bought that but decided to go the route i am.

Sk8n Reefer

Saw you visited my build, so thought i would check out yours. Looks very nice, nice pics. How do you like that tank i almost bought that but decided to go the route i am.

Hey thanks for checking things out. I do like the Nuvo - it would be nice if the filter chamber was an inch wider or so. My main concern is the number of them that has cracked. Feels like somewhat of a ticking time bomb . Most have had a powerhead by the rounded corners so I am avoiding that!

Hey thanks for checking things out. I do like the Nuvo - it would be nice if the filter chamber was an inch wider or so. My main concern is the number of them that has cracked. Feels like somewhat of a ticking time bomb . Most have had a powerhead by the rounded corners so I am avoiding that!

Upgrade this beast! :)

Sk8n Reefer

looking good man!

Thanks jeremycee!

Love that little guy. Would get one again. But need bigger tank.

Ya their such characters !

Upgrade this beast! :)

Why? There's plenty of room in there ? I know , I am always considering it but the easy of w/c's and overall control of water parameters with a nano are still so appealing. I'll probably get serious about it this summer ? I've moved to doing 1 gal. w/c's every night or atleast 5-6 times a week- simply - only tanks few minutes and keeps things really stable. 2 gal. On the weekend- trying to change around 7 gal. A week

HAHA I agree. I am doing 5 a week on mine and its about 30 Gals. I wont go over 40G. I used to have a 55g with sump and I hated water changes because of it. I feel ya.

Why? There's plenty of room in there ? I know , I am always considering it but the easy of w/c's and overall control of water parameters with a nano are still so appealing. I'll probably get serious about it this summer ? I've moved to doing 1 gal. w/c's every night or atleast 5-6 times a week- simply - only tanks few minutes and keeps things really stable. 2 gal. On the weekend- trying to change around 7 gal. A week

I have my fair share of friends that are always telling me to get a bigger tank but I'm patiently waiting for my pico to blowup. It's easy to manage at the moment for me and why change when you have a solid foundation and routine!

trying to change around 7 gal. A week

Thats more then I've done on my 150 in probably 2-3 months combined :lol: Water changes really aren't as big of a deal with bigger tanks, mostly just to keep trace stuff balanced. Other then that they are worthless for nutrient export, and dosing/ cal. reactors are more efficient for large tanks to keep main parameters in line ;)

Oh yeah, don't feel to bad about the dragon scale not doing so hot, its not a very hardy piece by any means. Its beautiful, but very very hard to keep long term in captivity. Most if not all dragon scales we see are mari/wild pieces that are similar to the original and not actual pieces from the originals.... that have likely all died by now. Did I mention it doesn't often fair well?? lol

Thanks jeremycee! Ya their such characters ! Why? There's plenty of room in there I know , I am always considering it but the easy of w/c's and overall control of water parameters with a nano are still so appealing. I'll probably get serious about it this summer I've moved to doing 1 gal. w/c's every night or atleast 5-6 times a week- simply - only tanks few minutes and keeps things really stable. 2 gal. On the weekend- trying to change around 7 gal. A week

I have to try your wc approach lol Increased feeding regiment without any unwanted algae bloom or bacteria inefficiency to process it. In fact, I don't get any algae whatsoever. Except chaeto in my tiny refugium. It actually turned into algae scrubber lol On top of things, I have mini outbreak of tiny bristle stars and stomatella snails. But I am not complaining :)

Sk8n Reefer

I have my fair share of friends that are always telling me to get a bigger tank but I'm patiently waiting for my pico to blowup. It's easy to manage at the moment for me and why change when you have a solid foundation and routine!

Agreed! Find success and maintain it- very rewarding. It's funny though when I show people my tank they always seem disappointed when I say it's only 16gal. ?

Sk8n Reefer

Thats more then I've done on my 150 in probably 2-3 months combined :lol: Water changes really aren't as big of a deal with bigger tanks, mostly just to keep trace stuff balanced. Other then that they are worthless for nutrient export, and dosing/ cal. reactors are more efficient for large tanks to keep main parameters in line ;)

Oh yeah, don't feel to bad about the dragon scale not doing so hot, its not a very hardy piece by any means. Its beautiful, but very very hard to keep long term in captivity. Most if not all dragon scales we see are mari/wild pieces that are similar to the original and not actual pieces from the originals.... that have likely all died by now. Did I mention it doesn't often fair well?? lol

Of coarse! Dragon scales aren't hardy ? I suppose if they were we would see them everywhere. The other frag is doing "ok" not great- color is looking a little weird tonight. Can't quite place it but it doesn't look happy! It's got all I can give though- center of the tank directly under the AI nano and good random flow and nightly feedings- maybe the carbon or GFO is bothering it?
Sk8n Reefer

I have to try your wc approach lol Increased feeding regiment without any unwanted algae bloom or bacteria inefficiency to process it. In fact, I don't get any algae whatsoever. Except chaeto in my tiny refugium. It actually turned into algae scrubber lol On top of things, I have mini outbreak of tiny bristle stars and stomatella snails. But I am not complaining :)

Ya, I really like more frequent smaller w/c's - much easier on the livestock too. I used to have the Stomatella break outs also- you could see little gushers piping up through the rock. I probably had 60-70 in there easy - then the hermits took a liking to them so I am down to about 5-6 larger ones but they will multiply back up. That's awesome your feeding more and maintaining low nutrients- I think that's the key!

Polarcollision

Agreed! Find success and maintain it- very rewarding. It's funny though when I show people my tank they always seem disappointed when I say it's only 16gal.

Ha! a priori - no more 'only' a 16 gallon, man. ==> You wont believe what I managed to fit in 16 gallons!

Hey, Are you watching potassium and iodide? NanoTopia suggested that for me when my finicky blue acro was having troubles. Maybe it can help your dragon, too. fingerscrossed Also, the BRS 2-part with Fauna Marin trace has made so much difference in my tank. If I can get pics soon, it's never been better for acro color and growth. Highly recommend those two products if you can

Sk8n Reefer

Ha! a priori - no more 'only' a 16 gallon, man. ==> You wont believe what I managed to fit in 16 gallons!

Hey, Are you watching potassium and iodide? NanoTopia suggested that for me when my finicky blue acro was having troubles. Maybe it can help your dragon, too. fingerscrossed Also, the BRS 2-part with Fauna Marin trace has made so much difference in my tank. If I can get pics soon, it's never been better for acro color and growth. Highly recommend those two products if you can

Thanks Polar! Great points - since our last discussion on iodine I did pick up some Kent supplement but have not found an iodine test kit yet. I don't want to start dosing without knowing where I am currently at. My bonsai has really been doing well and showing good color - I use him as my measuring stick for a lot of things ? I haven't check on potassium either- that's another supplement that is always mentioned - I am hoping my w/c schedule is keeping up on trace elements but it would be nice to know for sure. I am dosing alk. ,ca, and mag. and keeping that stable- although there was some major adjusting that had to go on once I moved my large birdsnest out- I am thinking I have it back to a stable range now- more testing this weekend. I would like to try Fauna Marin trace- my lfs doesn't stock it- do you buy it online? I think I'll look into that. Thanks for the tips- gotta step up my game with these new additions for sure!

Of coarse! Dragon scales aren't hardy I suppose if they were we would see them everywhere. The other frag is doing "ok" not great- color is looking a little weird tonight. Can't quite place it but it doesn't look happy! It's got all I can give though- center of the tank directly under the AI nano and good random flow and nightly feedings- maybe the carbon or GFO is bothering it?

Ok is better then done for atleast. Hopefully it will pull through, its not uncommon for most of the more difficult acros to go through changes after fragging and being moved for a little while before settling in so hopefully thats all this is :)

Carbon could be bothering it, I've never had luck running carbon with sps and I know quite a few others who haven't either. GFO would only be bothersome if its becoming dust and entering the tank, or completely stripping the tank of nutrients... both would effect other corals as well although most of your other pieces are pretty hardy so I could see either bothering some of the more delicate stuff but not most of the easier stuff.... atleast not right away.

Archived