Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jesse's 20G Fusion

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

Well I'm glad to say the red slime is more or less almost gone from the tank. I used Red Slime Remover, two doses, and cleaning the rocks/sand manually.

I also got rid of the Flameback Angel, as it was attacking the Randall's Goby, and I didn't want it to start going after the mandarin.

I also picked up a pair of naked clowns, and a tiger shrimp to go with my goby, although I don't know if the two have noticed each other yet.

21291283688_47631a8a6c.jpg

Fred by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21487714121_3e9ea55108.jpg

Booger by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21291288538_5fa539dca3.jpg

Bob & Linda by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21291286468_5c8c018a05.jpg

FTS 09.16.15 by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Obsessed Reefer

Cool hybrid! Is it an octospawn? Very pretty

Honestly not sure. My LFS had it labeled as a Hammer, but he was talking to me about it, pointing out the markings on the tips like a Frogspawn, he just jokingly called it a 'Frammer'.

Then as I'm just browsing online I find this, which looks just like it.

http://www.piecesoftheocean.com/collections/euphyllia/products/rare-branching-hammerspawn-hybrid

Which made me happy, because I paid less than half of that for my piece, which has three heads to it.

Obsessed Reefer

How loud does the setup get with the skimmer in the back? Would like to know if a similar setup would work for my bedroom.

The skimmer doesn't seem to be too bad, but in conjunction with everything else there's an audible level from it, nothing insanely bad though.

Picked up a new hammer and a Four Line wrasse on Saturday. My LFS had the four line in display with a pair of clowns for about a month, and recently he added two Helfrich's, and it never bothered them once, so I'm hoping he stays this calm.

21358637834_124a2e2720.jpg

Golden Hammer by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21358696884_ec8f2f6511.jpg

Fred by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21793615938_db662bb765.jpg

Four Line Wrasse by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21969323212_80857d6c23.jpg

Booger by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21358680174_31db4e2363.jpg

FTS by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

Have the pistol shrimp and goby paired yet? And hows the prime?

They paired up overnight after I introduced the shrimp.

Honestly I can't say much about the prime, I got it on Saturday, and left town on Sunday for a few days, haha. Setup was easy, and from what I saw on Saturday, I know I'm going to like it. I need to see if there's an adjustment available to get rid of the spotlight effect.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Obsessed Reefer

So I picked up a small CPR Hang On Fuge from another member on the forums, and finally set it up tonight. I have a bag of cheato coming tomorrow thanks to Lawnman. My only issue that I'm mad I didn't take into account originally is the space. Right now I was forced to move my desktop reactor into the HOB Fuge, and I don't have my skimmer running right now. I'm going to play with a few things and see if I can move some stuff around to get the skimmer set back up.

I also picked up a small frag of frogspawn and a mixed collection of zoos, which still haven't fully opened yet.

Of course I snap this awesome picture of my mandarin, only to find out during editing that the camera was actually focused on the hammer. >.<

22152362756_e29e3a4714.jpg

Hammers & Fred by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

21991641319_06ed2ab934.jpg

Golden Hammer by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

22178492825_fb2eb25c58.jpg

Fred and the new Zoas by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

This is the best shot I could get of the four line.

21990733968_c88c63d774.jpg

Four Line by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

So next week is going to be exciting! Last night, I won a few auctions on eBay for a bunch of different frags. I got a few new zoas coming, a small gonipora, some shrooms, and a chalice.

I am also going to try to start culturing pods for my tank.

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

Sigh, had another cyano outbreak. I did the second dose of red slime remover today. I have my new corals coming in tomorrow morning, so I'll do a water change as well.

I'm also getting some phytoplankton in, and still need to order the pods. I'm going to start small, I have a 2.5g tank for the pods, so it'll probably only be about 1-1.5g full. I'm also going to try and culture some phyto too, unless I can find a cheaper sustainable place to get it.

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

I got the shipment of corals in today, a few zoas opened, but everything else is still mostly shut. Hopefully they start to open tomorrow.

I also got a shipment of Phyto I ordered off of eBay in, and set up a 2.5g tank with my old strip LED light over it, and started a culture of Phyto. I need to pickup another 2.5g tank before I can start culturing the Tisbe Copepods.

22347319646_0f443f248c_z.jpg

Phytoplankton Culture by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

I've been thinking of getting a RBTA. Aside from it potentially walking around, there shouldn't be any compatibility issue with it and the other inhabitants of the tank, should there?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Obsessed Reefer

I felt like a mad scientist today, or just a really happy teenager again. I got a huge box from amazon with a bunch of beakers and flasks in it. I'm going to convert a shelf in my utility room to a growing station for food for the tank. I took down the 2.5g tank, because I realized it's not convenient for culturing. After watching a ton of youtube videos, I ordered a 1.5g glass beverage holder w/ a pour spout to culture the pods in. For the phytoplankton I'm waiting to get the Guillard's F/2 that I ordered before I start growing it. I'm also going to have a baby brine shrimp hatchery set up for every other day feedings.

I cleaned the 1.5g container and beakers with 70% isopropyl alcohol and hot water, and hopefully should be able to set some stuff up on Tuesday.

As far as my tank goes, everything is good. The RBTA is starting to move from the back of the rock, and is definitely opening up a little bit more than it was in the store. My golden hammer is splitting two new heads. I'm fighting a small algae outbreak which is why there's been a lack of photos recently.

Obsessed Reefer

22494976838_e06e207b84.jpg

Brine Shrimp & Copepods by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

Finally set up the first two cultures. On the left is my brine shrimp hatchery, and on the right is my copepod culture.

For the copepods, I made 1l of fresh saltwater, added 16oz of OceanMagik Live Phytoplankton from AlgaeBarn, and then added 3/4's of a 16oz order of Poseidon’s Feast Live Copepods from AlgaeBarn, which is a mixture of Tisbe and Tigriopus sp. of copepods.
I have a light on each side, with a 6500k bulb in it. The brine shrimp will be ready to culture in 24-36 hours. I'm going to see how long it takes the copepods to go through the phytoplankton, and then add more, and try to calculate how often to culture some to feed to my tank.
  • Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

Hard to say.

I harvested the brine shrimp yesterday.

The color of the water the pods are in really hasn't gotten any clearer, however I still catch one or two crawling around the glass. The startup culture was also a few weeks old, but I don't think that would affect it.

I did find another seller that I may try from if this doesn't work out.

I also got my Guillard's f/2 Phyto food in today, so I'm going to setup some Phyto cultures over the next few days.

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

Ok, so I think the copepod culture is not doing so well, or dead. I can't see any on the glass anymore, and the color of the Phyto has stayed the same. Going to get some new pods next week and try again.

On a brighter side, I started my first Phyto culture today. Because of the size room I have to work with, I'm going to be using 1L bottles for the Phyto, vs. 2L. If it starts working really well I may look into using larger bottles. I'm probably going to create a separate thread for documenting the cultures once they start going well.

I started off with 250mL of Phyto I bought from a seller on eBay, and filled the rest of the bottle with fresh saltwater. I added 1mL of Guillards f/2, bought from ReefCreators.com, and started aerating it.

22393494823_7ff95196f4.jpg

Starting Phyto by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

22596347077_9d29c055ab.jpg

First Phyto by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

Obsessed Reefer

Ugh, I hate working retail during the holidays. I've had no time to tend to my tank over the las week. I'm getting an algae breakout, and I think it's related to when I got some RO water from my LFS, because thats when it started happening. I haven't seen my Pistol shrimp in a few days, and it just starting to look bad. I've tested my water, and everything appears normal, so I'm trying to figure out what caused the algae, but I'm going to have to remove some rock and scrub it or try H2O2 to see if it'll clear it up.

• 2 weeks later...
Obsessed Reefer

I've been battling the algae outbreak. Today was my day off from work, so I spent about 3 hours working on my tank. Did a water change, and pulled the rocks and scrubbed the algae off of it. The only rock I didn't remove was the one with the RBTA on it, but I did get most of the algae off of it. Also redid my scape a little bit.

23208114270_0dc8cf466b.jpg

New FTS by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

23208116280_046ace4792.jpg

LPS by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

23503882985_120320e22b.jpg

Green Hammer by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

23421388581_a5e7a1a1e4.jpg

RBTA by Jesse Slover, on Flickr

I need to take the return pump out and clean the pump and tubing. I'm getting micro bubbles in the display, with no skimmer running right now. There has to be a slight disconnect somewhere.

• Like 2
Obsessed Reefer

Tank is looking great. Love the golden torch. How big of a water change are you doing? Might want to bump that up a lil to help with the algae.

Thank you!

I typically do around 25% a week for water changes.