Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jesse's 20G Fusion

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

09/2015 Edit: So over the summer both of my tanks experienced crashes. I was away for a month for work, and during the time, there was a power outage which tipped it into motion. Now that work is steady, I'm going to the process of getting my tank back in order. I'm breaking down the 8G I had in my bedroom, the sole survivor, a Randall's Goby, I'm moving to the Fusion.

I picked up another Green Mandarin, my LFS had him on sale, and I picked up some Chemiclean to help get rid of the red slime. My parameters are getting back in order, so hopefully it won't come back.

I'm sad to say that I'm going to have to get rid of the flameback angel, as once I released the goby into the fusion, it kept on attacking it. So right now I have the goby with the mandarin isolated from the flameback.

I've done a few major water changes over the past few weeks, which has helped remove a lot of the cyano, and I've read a lot of good things about the chemiclean, and I'm going to photo document how it helps.

---

So I've decided to merge my two tank threads into one Index, so it'll be easier for me to keep updates, and since both my tanks are small, and young, it should be easier to maintain. Over the next few days I'm going to be merging the content and updating the formatting of this main post.

Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Fusion [Living Room]:

Hardware:

• Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Fusion Tank
  • Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Fusion Stand
  • Maxspect Razor Nano 16K w/ Upgraded Lens Replaced w/ AI Prime 10/05/15
  • Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite MarineDepot.com package

Filtration:

• 20lbs Fiji Pink Sand
  • 8lbs Live Rock
  • Innovative Marine MiniMax Desktop Media Reactor
    • ​Seachem SeaGel (Carbon & PhosGuard)
  • Innovative Marine Ghost Desktop Protein Skimmer Replaced with MAME III Skimmer
  • 2x Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget Media Baskets
    • ​1 is a fuge with cheato, and a filter pad on top
    • The other runs Filter Floss and filter pads
  • ​Weekly water & filter media changes
  • Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
  • 4 Astrea Snails
  • 6 Blue Legged Hermits

Livestock:

• Fish
    • Pair of ORA Onyx Clowns (Sonny & Cher) Lost during tank crash
    • Flameback Angel
    • Pair of Green Mandarin Dragonets (Mushu & Maleficent) Lost during tank crash
    • Randall's Goby (Booger) Added 09/2015 from 8G Nuvo, after the Nuvo crashed
    • Pair of Naked Clowns
    • Diamond Gody
    • Male Mandarin Dragonet Added 01/02/2016
  • ​Coral
    • ​Aussie Gold Torch
    • Gold, Green, & Purple Hammers
    • Gold Frogspawn
    • Orange Hammer/Frogspawn Hybrid
    • Various Zoas
    • Pulsing Xenia
    • Mushrooms
  • ​Inverts
    • ​Misc. Snails & Hermits
    • Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Future Plans:

• More coral, lol.

Innovative Marine 8 Gallon Nuvo [bedroom]: ​Taken down 09/2015 after crash. Surviving Goby moved to 20G

Original Post 8/7/2014:

I figured I'd start keeping track of everything now. While the tank hasn't shipped yet, hopefully I'll get it next week, then once my patio doors finish getting installed I can set it up! Super excited, because moving has been nothing but stress.

So here's what I got coming to me!

- 20 Gallon Innovative Marine Fusion (Black)

- 20 Gallon Innovative Marine Fusion Stand (Black)

^ Both pre ordered from Marine Depot

- Maxspect Razor Nano 16000K

- MaxiJet 1200 return pump

- MP10

- 2 Innovative Marine Custom Caddy's

- 75W NeoTherm Heater

- 20lbs Fiji Pink Sand

- 8lbs Live Rock

Livestock Plans

- Pair of ORA Onyx Clowns (Acclimated 8/25/14)

Future Plans

- Two Spot Goby

- Helfrichi Firefish

- Assorted cleanup crew

- Softies & LPS

- SPS

- Innovative Marine MiniMax Media Reactor

- Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper

This thread will be very quite over the next week - week and a half, but follow along as I will heavily document this new style of tank.

Thanks!

• Like 5
Obsessed Reefer

Waiting on my Fusion 20 as well!

No plans for a skimmer?

Not at the moment, I plan to start off with a light bio load and keep up with water changes. If it gets to it I'll look into one.

Looks promising will be here to watch.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not at the moment, I plan to start off with a light bio load and keep up with water changes. If it gets to it I'll look into one.

Thanks!

That's my biggest debate currently. I'm really looking to low maintenance so a skimmer may be nice but I also want a "quiet" tank. Looking into bare bottom as well so who knows

• Like 2
Marine Depot

Thanks!

That is a good approach. We're huge advocates for skimmers and generally use them when we do office builds. But several staffers care for smaller tanks at home and run them skimmerless with great success. If the water you are putting into the tank is pure and you keep up with water changes, you should experience great success, too. :grouphug:

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

Got the first box of goodies in today.

20lbs of Fiji sand, two spill mats, the MJ1200, 2 custom caddys, two 100w heaters, a bottle of BioSpira, and a mag flip 100.

I have to say, the build quality of the Innovative Marine custom caddy is nice. It's no inTank quality, but for half the price, I'm impressed. I also like that the shelves are adjustable.

I should be getting my box of goodies from Marine Depot on Monday, and hopefully the tank and stand by the week after that.

post-18741-0-52245700-1407550827_thumb.jpg

post-18741-0-27337400-1407550829_thumb.jpg

post-18741-0-68150500-1407550955_thumb.jpg

Obsessed Reefer

I was wondering about the caddy , thanks for the input.

inTank has a comparison shot on their product page. I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible, and I really want to get a Media Reactor in a paycheck or two, so these will do perfectly fine for me. If I had the extra money, I would have gone with the inTank no doubt.

• Like 2
lilmatty5dimes

off to a great start. following along.

custom caddy are good. 1000x better than the stock i've never had the intank ones but being on a small budget i'll get the caddys again.

Obsessed Reefer

I got my last box of goodies in yesterday. Test kit, acclimation kit, and a specimen container. Now just patiently waiting for the tank and stand to ship. Once I get it, I'll get the rock from my lfs. My patio door is set to be put in Saturday, which means I can start setting up the tank next week.

And I agree, anything is better than the stock filters it comes with. inTank by far is the highest quality, but I'm on a tight budget for this tank.

Obsessed Reefer

Yea, this also gives me a day to buy water and what not. I picked up 4 pieces of rock from my lfs today, I'll post up pics in a few.

Obsessed Reefer

Here are a few pics of the rock I got, along with my first idea for a layout in my tank.

14745052317_c52ffc37a6_b.jpg

rock4 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14931245412_e0bc6f1dc3_b.jpg

rock1 by darth.slover, on Flickr

So I'm moving the furniture in my room, because the windows are being installed tomorrow, and this lands in the perfect place. If no one buys it, I may set it back up.

14744999188_7532be036e_b.jpg

IMG_20140815_222359 by darth.slover, on Flickr

• Like 2
Obsessed Reefer

I hate ups. Every box I get it delivered at 7pm. My tank gets delivered at 10am today when I'm not home. And instead of leaving it like the other boxes, they rescheduled it for tomorrow. UGH!

waiting for a call back from them letting me know where I can pick it up at.

Hi...So just wanted clarification. In Tank makes custom caddy's? I tried to find the comparison pic on their site but could not find one. I was planning on getting the IM caddy for my 30L. Can you elaborate a little on what makes the intank a better option? Thanks!

Hi...So just wanted clarification. In Tank makes custom caddy's? I tried to find the comparison pic on their site but could not find one. I was planning on getting the IM caddy for my 30L. Can you elaborate a little on what makes the intank a better option? Thanks!

inTank does NOT make the custom caddy, that is made by IM. What inTank makes is better version of that same device. Steve (inTank) has been making media baskets for various tanks for a while now, and the tank manufacturers are starting to copy him. inTank's product has bigger holes for better flow, and a few other differences that I cant currently seem to list. There is a product in the works for the 30L at this very moment and can been read about in this thread :

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342089-innovative-fusion-series/

Hope that helps

-B

Obsessed Reefer

Here come the photos! Reviews will come tomorrow for the stand. But let me tell you, not a happy camper about the stand, and super pissed at UPS. But I'm glad to finally have it water testing for the next day, tomorrow night comes the sand and rock.

14789907629_352464eb65_z.jpg

We have water! by darth.slover, on Flickr

14976242632_e72a48e12f_z.jpg

DSC_0510 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789907729_f0834b4b67_z.jpg

DSC_0509 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789993348_9e04219930_z.jpg

DSC_0507 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789993358_c847fc9760_z.jpg

DSC_0506 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789907759_ee46ba796a_z.jpg

DSC_0505 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789993398_367cacacb4_z.jpg

DSC_0504 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789993428_7bc201c345_z.jpg

DSC_0503 by darth.slover, on Flickr

14789993038_c564652467_z.jpg

DSC_0502 by darth.slover, on Flickr

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

It's probably the lighting, I need a better flash for my camera. The white spots you see are the number stickers that I forgot to take off.

It was a PITA putting it together, and I kinda wish it was cheaper, for what it's worth.

I also need to just wipe the stand down tomorrow, to get the hand prints and dust off of it.

Edited by Obsessed Reefer