Cultivated Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Mr. Microscope

Thanks! That last purply one I got from my BF. He had a huge colony that he bumped and those were some pieces that broke off. I dunno why the ones I got have green tips when all the others don't... When I tell him about our Reefwise meet up, I'll ask if he's got an extra to spare for you! I have no idea what it is and i think he's a little unsure too. Purple Iris is what he called it.

Awesome! Definitely bring him along too! I'll get a satosa frag ready for him as well. Is he on N-R? Name? I'll add him to the list.

I think yours might have turned green due to lower lighting. Some of my SPS like the Palmer's Blue Milli turn bright green in less light. Same thing with Red Planet and several others. Though, it's possible that it's a valida (tri-color). Those get nice highlighter tips in the right conditions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Definitely bring him along too! I'll get a satosa frag ready for him as well. Is he on N-R? Name? I'll add him to the list.

I think yours might have turned green due to lower lighting. Some of my SPS like the Palmer's Blue Milli turn bright green in less light. Same thing with Red Planet and several others. Though, it's possible that it's a valida (tri-color). Those get nice highlighter tips in the right conditions.

He's not on NR. I'll see if I can talk him into coming out. He's been obsessed with Destiny and that's pretty much all he wants to do on the weekends... :rolleyes:

This is such a cute tank.

Thanks!! :happy:

I spent an hour and a half on my tank tonight... phew!

Made little epoxy frags, siphoned my sand while they hardened, cleaned my glass, installed my inTank media basket, and made sure everything was in a good place. Last thing was to put my xenia cups on the sand bed.

Super gluing the xenia wasn't horrible, but it was slimy! Two cups, two xenia in each. I think I will add sand to the cups tomorrow, so they can stand up a little better. I didn't think of that until after I was walking out the door...

Here's a peek at my handy work. I'm very proud of myself for getting this done! :happydance:

10613094_10100812403643787_5256174639050

woohoo! good job! they will perk right back up tomorrow. within two weeks, they will cover the entire plug =P.

I sure hope so! I plan to move them up to the top. I want them to cover that big ugly rock! That's what the GSP is for too, and I might add some sympodium to the mix.

Here’s the tiny plugs I made. Each was made with putty roughly the size of a small marble. I didn’t want to go overboard…

15238764997_459576fe7a.jpg

IMG_4907 by kimothy182, on Flickr

It was actually not terribly hard to glue the xenia to my little frags. They did get slimy, but it definitely went well using GEL super glue!

15422127601_459e855c59.jpg

IMG_4911 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Today I checked on everything and the two smaller pieces of xenia detached from the plugs. So I re-attached. I added sand to the cups so I could stand the frags upright and hopefully help the healing process.

15238714208_b856944b3f.jpg

IMG_4933 by kimothy182, on Flickr

ACK! A sea monster emerging from the rocks!!

15238545109_4f507229e3.jpg

IMG_4934 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Everyone in one shot!

15425304795_8a319d3e94.jpg

IMG_4943 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Looking not-so pissed off as yesterday after my water change. I will probably leave my xenia in the cups until at least Saturday afternoon. Possibly a little longer,

15402256396_81501b24ab.jpg

IMG_4952 by kimothy182, on Flickr

This nighttime shot was taken a few days ago, but everything glows like crazy at night!!

15422149921_39635da566.jpg

IMG_4906 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I picked up my RFA today. I dunno how long it will take to attach it's foot to the glass (I put it on the sand) so I used one of my xenia cups to protect it from too much flow.

Picks when it's open and happy!

Two of my four Xenias have graduated from the confines of their cup and have been placed close to where they will hopefully settle in. They've perked up to about golf ball sized. Very happy with my work on the little frag plugs and gluing!

15418973336_149b2ab5dc.jpg

IMG_4960 by kimothy182, on Flickr

My cute little RFA is open, but I have no idea how to tell if it has attached it's foot enough. Gave it a few little brine shrimps to eat, but didn't seem to like it too much. I need to get some more foods and a little bit of a variety later this week. It's adorable and just a tad bigger than a quarter!

15255485527_486997184f.jpg

IMG_4961 by kimothy182, on Flickr

congrats on successful gluing and transfer

of the xenia! that's more than i've ever attempted!

and your little nem is so cute! mine eat mysis shrimp

quite well. i also bought larry's reef frenzy--which they

didn't seem to love more than the mysis?

OMG! She's all scrunched up for the night and under blue lights she's like a pretty, tiny, bright pink, pom pom!! :wub:

If only I could get my camera to get accurate colors!

My little nem went for a walk... <_<

I "freed" her from the plastic cup since it seemed she had rooted down. But last night when I checked up on everything before going to bed. she was gone! Moved about 6 inches up and over a rock and seemed to settle down in a little crevice. I knew it was a possibility, but just hoped she'd stay put on the sand. Oh well!

Glad to hear your xenia gluing went well. Good job!

I like your nem. Very cool and very pretty. I have always wanted one, just do not want to deal with something being so mobile...

Just read your whole thread, very helpful info on the glueing process. Your tank is looking great!

Thanks!!

Glad to hear your xenia gluing went well. Good job!

I like your nem. Very cool and very pretty. I have always wanted one, just do not want to deal with something being so mobile...

I think it's super pretty and I can't wait till it starts to grow! I definitely want more, but yeah, the whole mobile thing has me worried...

I should have called this tank “The Experiment” because I really didn’t know much when I started out.

When I decided to start my first ever saltwater tank, I had to go with an easy to use system that was proven to work (AIO), and was also in my price range (bought used from BF’s co-worker). So I didn’t exactly get to pick out my own tank or stand, plus it came with rock and sand, so that wasn’t for me to pick out either.

A few of my corals came with the tank, and a few were given to me by my BF. And while he got me the types of corals I requested (mushrooms, hammer, xenia, and others) they weren’t exactly the color/size/shape I would have picked out myself. All told, I’ve only picked out 1/3rd of what is in my tank. Even the clownfish – I asked for black and whites, BF picked them out and brought them home.

Not that I’m complaining! I am extremely grateful for his help and guidance!

BUT – I’m also looking forward to the next tank, so I can pick out every little aspect and have it exactly the way I want.

What I’ve got on my mind is a custom AIO PicO, something around 14x14x12 (about 10 gal), with a NanoBox to house a handful of RFA’s, a small ric garden, and some gorgonians so it doesn’t end up looking flat. The tank, light, and stand will be paid for out of my tax return. And I’ve got tons of credit card points for Amazon gift cards to purchase just about everything else.

Until I can start that project, I have no immediate or definitive plans for the biocube. It’s as upgraded equipment-wise as I want it to be, knowing that I want to upgrade it to a slightly bigger better tank in a year or so. I’ll still add more corals and another fish or two, but it’s basically turned into a guinea pig tank. Every new coral is a learning experience for me so I’ll fill it up with pretty much one of everything I can get my hands on!

isn't that the crux of this hobby?

you've barely started one new tank and

you're already fantasizing about the next?

i already know my next fantasy tank and

the corals i want to try and keep. :lol:

isn't that the crux of this hobby?

you've barely started one new tank and

you're already fantasizing about the next?

i already know my next fantasy tank and

the corals i want to try and keep. :lol:

You know, it FEELS like I've had it for more than three months so that should count for something!

I'm gonna have to do some serious rearranging when I get home tonight.

3 of my 4 xenia are pissed off. The two smaller ones aren't attached to the frag plugs enough so they might have to go back in a cup. These pieces had pretty much no "stem" and are only about the size of a dime, so I'm not surprised the super glue isn't holding well. Another piece fell overnight since it wasn't secure enough in the rock, so I need to move a few things to find more secure holes in the rock.

I guess what I didn't plan when making my little plugs was where they were going to fit. My bad.

Little rock flower is half hiding in the rocks between my frogspawn and mushrooms. Hope it decides to come out more...

Looks great, kimberbee! I think you've done a nice job with your first tank. I hope the xenia gets happy again for you...they look so pretty when they are happy. Reading that your anemone is moving reminds me that I have one RFA to remove from the top of some zoas. Mine decided to walk last night :lol:.

I spent half an hour moving things around... Then realized that a lot of what I put near the top of the back wall isn't getting any light... Ugh...

I had to give my cat a bath tonight (yes, that's as fun as it sounds) so I'm not sticking my hands in the tank again till tomorrow.

I wasn't gonna, but here's a FTS:

15287435648_e32551d751.jpg

IMG_4977 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Can you spot my sneaky RFA hiding in the rocks? Hint: lower right quadrant...

Items to note...

The hammer in the back left is doing much better than the one in the middle-ish. It's actually looking more "hammer-y" rather than flat and spread out.

My 3 SPS frags ended up all in a row so you can't even really see the smaller two - gonna have to re-arrange that at some point.

My frogspawn is not as happy on the rocks as it was in the sand when I first got it. I might have to think about moving that guy, too.

Everything is contingent on the 4 xenia frags (middle-ish). I need them to heal up so I can move them higher on the big rock in the back. I'd like them to sort of surround the GSP on the back and sides (I want the GSP to grow forward and down over the rock). But I'm not sure that can happen. You can see the back half of the GSP and the rock to the right of it are covered in shadows.

I'm also not happy with my flow. Return pump on the left and circulation pump on the right, pretty much means that I've got two "cyclones of flow on the sides of my tank (forward, down, back, up, repeat) and not much going on in the middle. I've tried to angle the circulation pump, but it has a very thick rigid cable (you can see it by the mag float) that really doesn't leave much room for adjustment.

Any suggestions on placement or flow?

tank is looking great.

no suggestion on flow as i'm a noob.

but my ultra rock nem just did a walkabout

last night two. seems to be moving every 3 days

or so, but still on same rock. she's gone from

front to back to front again, near the sand. ha!

Archived