Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Tank looks good! Only thing is I would take the thermometer out of the sand, the bottom is where the readings start and the sand will have a different temperature than the water, often cooler. Your water is probably warmer than you think and if it spikes, you may not know in enough time to fix it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were my #1 store when I first started. Now I rarely go there. I should visit again soon though.

They are in the process of redoing all their fish tanks. Looks like they will have a lot more and smaller tanks going on.

I just think that they are the cleanest, most organized, reasonably priced place I have been to so far. Plus, my mom lives just a few minutes away. Actually, she picked out my ricordea rock!!

Tank looks good! Only thing is I would take the thermometer out of the sand, the bottom is where the readings start and the sand will have a different temperature than the water, often cooler. Your water is probably warmer than you think and if it spikes, you may not know in enough time to fix it.

Thanks for the tip!

I actually have two thermometers, the one in the sand and a digital one that's in the 1st back chamber. I was really paranoid about my temps at first, and have noticed that the digital thermometer tends to be a degree higher.

I will either move or get rid of the thermometer eventually as I fill things up. It is kind of an eyesore there...

I really want to get a fire shrimp or skunk cleaner shrimp, but I'm worried about it having enough to "clean" in my tank.

I don't currently have any algae problems, and my hermits seem to do a great job cleaning up the food that my fish miss. I know that I could direct feed a shrimp when I feed my fish, but just want to make sure that's enough.

Actually, I am already concerned about my clean up crew getting enough to eat because I have 14 hermit crabs, an urchin, and 3 LARGE snails. I think they are Mexican Turbos? They are about 1-1.5 inches across. So I'm also wondering when/if I should add seaweed for my urchin?

Awesome tank! Love the shrooms actually and the tailspot blenny. What is the tailspot eating? I had one once but never got it to eat various foods... Thanks!

Actually, I am already concerned about my clean up crew getting enough to eat because I have 14 hermit crabs, an urchin, and 3 LARGE snails. I think they are Mexican Turbos? They are about 1-1.5 inches across. So I'm also wondering when/if I should add seaweed for my urchin?

i've never understood the reasoning behind

huge clean up crews, especially really early on.

when i had the 3g pico, the LFS guy avised that

i get 2 cerith snails for it. 3 tops. it's one snaile per

one gallon of tank at most. seems many folk have

A LOT of clean up crew.

right now, in my 8g, i only have stomatella snails

i moved from my 3g. they're great.

Awesome tank! Love the shrooms actually and the tailspot blenny. What is the tailspot eating? I had one once but never got it to eat various foods... Thanks!

Spirulina Brine that comes frozen in cubes. I'm about halfway done with the pack and when I have to get more, I'll probably try to get a variety of things.

i've never understood the reasoning behind

huge clean up crews, especially really early on.

when i had the 3g pico, the LFS guy avised that

i get 2 cerith snails for it. 3 tops. it's one snaile per

one gallon of tank at most. seems many folk have

A LOT of clean up crew.

right now, in my 8g, i only have stomatella snails

i moved from my 3g. they're great.

I agree. I think I have too many, but I was having a weird algae bloom a few weeks in, so figured adding a bunch more hermits would help. I think the algae was partly from moving an established tank and party from being near a sunny window, and probably would have gone away on it's own.

I just want a shrimp cause they are adorable, not cause I want to put him to work.

that is a lot of hermit crabs, girl.

haha

but i love shrimps too! many can be

aggressive. due to size and temperment,

the sexies were perfect for mine.

that is a lot of hermit crabs, girl.

haha

but i love shrimps too! many can be

aggressive. due to size and temperment,

the sexies were perfect for mine.

I didn't used to like sexies, but they've grown on me. Already planning (hoping) to use my tax return on a pico for some sexies!

I need ideas for my tank.

To be honest, the fact that my three fish stay in the corner almost all the time is getting frustrating. There's really not much movement or much to look at when they just hover in the back all the time.

This is making me really want to start a second tank so that I can work between the two.

I've also thought bout adding a yellow coris wrasse to my tank for more color and movement. However, I know he will get too big eventually. I would like to HOPE that in a year or so I can upgrade this to a larger tank, but you never know what could happen.

Suggestions?!?

Hmmmm fish in the corner... Not sure.

As for the shrimp, hold off until you reduce your crab numbers. You may just want to take half of the crabs out and give them to the LFS. Personally I would get rid of them all because I don't trust them, but that's me.

Everything looks great!

Your frogspawn doesn't look bad in the daylights... I can still see tons of color. Definitely not poop brown!

And you definitely have a little too many hermits. If you traded them in somewhere, you could get some decent credit toward them, I think. Another fish and some coral monies. ;)

These f*in guys...

I was worried as hell when I first got them and all they did for the fist 2 days was pace. All the sudden they calmed and picked their corner.

Y'all are giving me good suggestions on getting them out and about... I just got home and all three are swimming around the center of the tank!!

Still, I am going to rearrange a few things. I have a big ugly dense rock on the right that I'm going to try putting towards the back. Think I want to grow gsp all over it back there or something similar.

Also have a small ugly gsp rock with a feather duster on the underside. Want to arrange that better too.

I like bangaiis, but I want more color... Hmm...

i think your tank looks GREAT!

don't be so hard on your tank or your fishies!

they just need time to adjust. :happy:

i'm only allowed mostly shy fishies that

don't swim around as well.

someone suggested a possum wrasse but

i didn't like the look of it. i mean, i don't like

possums so... ha!

Hmmmm fish in the corner... Not sure.

As for the shrimp, hold off until you reduce your crab numbers. You may just want to take half of the crabs out and give them to the LFS. Personally I would get rid of them all because I don't trust them, but that's me.

I'll definitely hold off on the shrimp for now. Cause I have a sun coral that I target feed as well as my plate. I know that will get difficult with a shrimp, as it already can be iffy with the hermits.

I'm quite fond of a couple of the little guys, but lets just say I wouldn't be terribly sad if a few were lost to the circle of life...

i think your tank looks GREAT!

don't be so hard on your tank or your fishies!

they just need time to adjust. :happy:

i'm only allowed mostly shy fishies that

don't swim around as well.

someone suggested a possum wrasse but

i didn't like the look of it. i mean, i don't like

possums so... ha!

I am incredibly hard on myself!!

I am incredibly hard on myself!!

i am the opposite! ha!

makes being happy much easier!!

someone on forum rec'ed pink streak wrasse

to me and they look pretty cool!

Moved things around some this evening. Here's before an after, but of course everything is still pretty closed up in the after...

BEFORE

10710576_10100805903764597_5867230196163

AFTER:

1012782_10100805905186747_67600379160623

I want something like GSP or maybe Sympodium (can I mix them?) to grow on the big dense rock in the back. To the right I think I'll continue to grow mushrooms and rics as sort of a garden there. I probably won't add any more zoanthids to this tank, but want to put a gorgonian just behind that zoa rock, or one of those spiral-y things.

I'd also like at some point to possibly have an undata, pagoda cup, another torch, duncan, elegance, maybe some acans (they are growing on me), and a RFA. Not to say I'll have all of these in my tank, but that's what is drawing my attention.

Fish wise, I think I might go ahead with a firefish or a green or yellow clown goby. Maybe even both? I would like a court jester goby, but they are algae eaters and with my high number of hermits, urchin, and large snails, I wouldn't want him to go hungry. Another time...

I think you should get some of the nano gorgs from KP aquatics but I'm biased because I love gorgs and have many in my tank. ;) I think they are like little sculptures that add color and movement to your tank. They will do well as long as they get proper light and flow.

Clown gobies are really cute and charming but they are perchers not open water swimmers. I would do the firefish, I've never had them personally but know they are small, beautiful, and active. They are notorious jumpers though. You could maybe do both fish.

I think you should get some of the nano gorgs from KP aquatics but I'm biased because I love gorgs and have many in my tank. ;) I think they are like little sculptures that add color and movement to your tank. They will do well as long as they get proper light and flow.

Clown gobies are really cute and charming but they are perchers not open water swimmers. I would do the firefish, I've never had them personally but know they are small, beautiful, and active. They are notorious jumpers though. You could maybe do both fish.

I'll check KP Aquatics out! I'm working overtime hopefully this week and next and that's my coral money... ;)

I might start with a firefish and see how my bioload is after a few weeks before adding a clown goby. I may get the fish saver from inTank (I think that's where I've seen it) since there is a small space between the display area and the back chambers. Other than that I keep my lid closed!!

Archived