Pod Your Reef

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

i was thinking of ordering one of these skimmers for my oceanic biocube29. my question is, I removed the hood from my tank and installed an ecotech radion xr15w With the tank mount - will this skimmer still fit with the tank mount installed? I currently use the intank fuge basket and it works perfect because the top of the basket sits flush with the media basket and sits right under the tank mount. any thoughts?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking of ordering one of these skimmers for my oceanic biocube29. my question is, I removed the hood from my tank and installed an ecotech radion xr15w With the tank mount - will this skimmer still fit with the tank mount installed? I currently use the intank fuge basket and it works perfect because the top of the basket sits flush with the media basket and sits right under the tank mount. any thoughts?

Put this here too for others:

Dry fitting it in a BC29 here I can see it working fine. You can set the skimmer pretty much at any height at or below the media basket as it is not that tall. You might have to lower the water level slightly in the chamber to have it run at a proper water level, but just from a dry fit with the skimmer cup at the top of the basket the water level would be a the first shelf. So where most run it anyway.

Basically, the cup will sit flush with the basket once installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the magnets easy to remove? Would like to install it in my rsm but would prefer the magnet hold onto the tank instead of the media basket.

I was thinking of getting one to replace my 9002, i could never get it working, always produces microbubbles.

Yes couldn't be easier to pop off the magnet. Glue to the back side of the skimmer body and mount to the rear of the tank.

Yes couldn't be easier to pop off the magnet. Glue to the back side of the skimmer body and mount to the rear of the tank.

does it just come off? or is it like the 9002 where you had to use a razor.

does it just come off? or is it like the 9002 where you had to use a razor.

It pops off. Held in by two lock tabs.

jamescstein

It pops off. Held in by two lock tabs.

When he says held on.. its more like the tabs are suggesting the magnet stay on. I wound up gluing mine in place with silicone. Holds it on there but I can remove it if need be. Like when I discovered that with my media basket and the extender piece on the 9001 it wouldn't fit in my chamber 2. So I then had to pry the extender off the skimmer and the magnet off the extender and re-glue them.

• 1 month later...

So, after all this time after people got the 9001, is it a worthy replacement for the 9002? I'm about the restart with my tank and in probably two weeks i start with a new cycle. Really thinking of gettign the 9001 if it's really better than the 9002 in the long run.

Cencalfishguy56

Seems nobody knows.... :unsure:

I had the 9001 before I sold it after a couple weeks I ran it in the display tank and it was too obtrusive but in an AIO or sump it would be perfect and it was producing skimmate within a day and it wasn't even broken in yet, micro bubbles won't be an issue of you have an AIO or sump, I would spend the money, I don't have experience with the 9002 but this one is worth it

jamescstein

I can't compare it to the 9002. But I love my 9001 in my BC29. I like it so much I bought another for my wifes 30G frag tank.

ClownTriggerDude

Has anyone contacted Tunze to ask about the tabs that break ?

I'm disappointed with having to glue them on and the large amount of micro bubbles

that pour into my 29g BioCube. I replaced it with the AquaMaxx HOB-1, and it rocks !

How about a Tunze recall ? lol.... :rolleyes:

I've had the 9002 and I eventually replaced it with the 9001. The new model pulls out more gunk than the older model did. As far as micro bubbles go, I do get some but after a couple of days they are gone. I also got micro bubbles with the 9002 as well, especially after I've done a complete cleaning of the skimmer.

Hell, it took my 9002 half a year to get rid of the micro bubbles! I will get the 9001, especially seeing the 9002 has been discontinued but luckily the 9001 is a good replacement.

My 9001 is working great .It's making a big difference in my 12 gallon long tank. It is sensitive in a small tank. Changes or additives will cause it to bubble up. I recently used some aquamend and the result was like putting a mentos in a coke bottle.

• 1 month later...

I have mine now running for 3 weeks and i have to say i hate it, the lid under the cup constantly get's pushed to the top, if i put the skimmer higher, i barely get anything in the cup. And the fact that the compartment where the cup is placed on, has a opening, so most of the bubbles and gunk exit there and not into the cup! and the cup is useless as well, a tiny touch and it already falls off! And when i turn up the skimmer, i hear it burbing every 10 seconds!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have added a guide to the Tunze 9001's Product page. It will be updated as needed. In addition to having the skimmer listed on each tank's product page, this will help by having it concentrated on one product page.

Please let us know if you want something considered for addition.

9001.jpg

*Due to user error, users skill, changes in aquarium design, manufacturing and factors out of inTank's control, inTank, LLC cannot guarantee fitment. Please check your aquarium dimensions first.

• 2 months later...

Tunze's own instructions say a couple hours up to 24 hours for break in. I understand its not going to be pulling perfectly dark skimmate fresh from the box, my concern is the loud air noise I'm getting, not the performance. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same thing or if their skimmer is indeed "whisper quiet" and has been since they installed it. I've tuned my tank to be practically silent and was just hoping this skimmer would be as well. Water level is at the correct height.

Hi, just got mine and thinking is a lot louder than expected

did it change over time?

We have added a guide to the Tunze 9001's Product page. It will be updated as needed. In addition to having the skimmer listed on each tank's product page, this will help by having it concentrated on one product page.

Please let us know if you want something considered for addition.

9001.jpg

*Due to user error, users skill, changes in aquarium design, manufacturing and factors out of inTank's control, inTank, LLC cannot guarantee fitment. Please check your aquarium dimensions first.

Stevie It does fit in the middle chamber of the 2nd Gen CAD Lights 8 without any mods.

Hi, just got mine and thinking is a lot louder than expected

did it change over time?

Needs to break in

Stevie It does fit in the middle chamber of the 2nd Gen CAD Lights 8 without any mods.

Sweet. I will add that to the list.

inTank you!

i also notice that magnets keep it in correct height but it is easy to twist

is it possible to use some old style tunze holder to attach it at tank glass?

i have a rimless tank

Some of the older magnets will pop right on to the tabs.

But will act the same as what you have now. I don't completely understand but if you need to limit movement just glue the magnets/parts in place.

i start dosing phytoplankton in the evening, i turn off skimmer during the night and turn back on the morning after

today it skimmed almost a full cup of water with green tea like color

is that normal or should i reduce the air in the skimmer or raise the level?

Archived